The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Guiness?

Anyone know what is in Guiness that is good for a horse? It's an English tb, and he is in need of it, for medicinal purposes.. 2 bottles or so a day for 2 weeks. Really. We plan on getting a couple of cases, so we can do taste tests for him.. just to make sure it is at the right temperature..

How does one give Guiness to a horse? In the liquid, poured in a bucket? Over a meal of some sort of grain? In a silver goblet or trophy? I think a stirrup cup would require to many refills..
    Intermediate Riding Skills

Make sure he *likes* it first. If not, then you will be *forced* to polish off the case so the money does not go to waste.

I tried mine on Guiness and they all turned their noses up at it. I'm not a real beer drinker-I actually don't remember what happened to it. Honest. I don't.

I'd pour it in a bucket. Make sure you have peanuts and buffalo wings handy for him, too.

Now diet coke, that's another story. My Perchx loves it. Of course, she love worming paste, too. Or de-worming, for the purists.

My driving pony gets two bottles a day for anhydrosis. I get it into him with his feed, just pour it over his grain. At first he was. . . "no bueno" , now he gives new meaning to "driving drunk."

My anhydrotic mare, conveniently, loves beer. I pour it over her feed and she pretty much inhales it.

If yours doesn't like it right off, maybe start with just a bit over feed and then you can syringe in the rest (what an odd scenario) or mix with a bit of molasses or something?

At least your horses are at home, right? Otherwise I can see the conversation now:

Highway patrol: Ma'am, do you know why I pulled you over?
    Whicker: No, officer, have I done anything wrong?
    HP: Well, I could smell the Guinness cloud escaping from your car from the next county over.
    W: Ohhhh, no, it wasn't me, officer! My horse has to drink Guinness for medicinal purposes, only he doesn't like it, so I have to take this big syringe and stick it down his throat to get him to drink it, and he spits it all over me.... Why are you pulling out a straightjacket along with the handcuffs?

As others noted it's an old timey remedy for a non sweater. No idea if it works or not but if it doesn't - it makes one helluva beer bread.

Grasshopper -
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Default 99 bottles of beer on the wall...

Thank you for the thoughts. The note from the guru is for "flushing the kidneys" and I'm now in search of the next part of the remedy. 10 drops of goldenrod. I guess that's going to be at the health food store.

At the very least, the Guiness is "Good for man and beast". I have the horses at home and spend more time in the barn than in the house. I do love their company, and now we get to have happy hour together. I think I'll skip the goldenrod, though...I hear it can be bitter... maybe that makes a bitter beer...

Goldenrod; http://www.anniesremedy.com/herb_detail365.php

Guinness stout is made from water, barley, hops, and brewer's yeast, and is treated with isinglass finings made from fishes' air bladders.

Hops; http://www.anniesremedy.com/herb_detail99.php
    Barley; http://www.anniesremedy.com/herb_detail460.php
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

I think it's the hops.

I heard it was given mostly for the alcohol content - made the horses more relaxed. That said, of my two hunters: Mr. Nervous And In Need Of A Stiff Drink wouldn't touch the stuff with a 10 foot pole, while Mr. Relaxed and Steady would drink it straight from the bottle if I let him!

So I never did find out if it would have worked on the nervous one to calm his equine nerves. Good thing I only bought a 6 pack. Mr. R&S was so disappointed when his happy hours came to an end as he was the only one of 5 that would touch the beer.

There is that scene in the Ballad of the Irish Horse special at Eddie MAckin's farm where they are mixing Guiness with the feed. I think the narrator said it gave them shiny coats???

Dark stout is thought to be a "fortifying" sort of thing in GB and Ireland, and is quite commonly served to old folks and particularly to horses. There are many different kinds of Guinness brews, so it may not follow that you get the same result from whatever they export to the USA.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

In 1969 I was given Guinness twice a day for 6 weeks,in a London Hospital,whilst recovering from Bone grafts. Wow I miss the NH system.

They say it is more effective if drunk at room Temperature,never chilled.
    \"I have lived my life-it is nearly done-.I have played the game all round;But I freely admit that the best of my fun I owe it to Horse and Hound\".

Darker beer is better for horses who are non-sweaters. Don't ask me why. I heard a vet tell another boarder that.

And beer does flush kidneys and bladder. When my father had a kidney stone many years ago, his surgeon sent him out the night before surgery to try to flush the stone out with beer. Didn't work. And my non-drinking aunt was put on a diet of beer to help her arthritis. She hates beer.

When I was a child my father gave my horses beer. Turns out it is good for them. The Japanese give it to their racing horses.

Cloudy drinks Becks. And Coke. And orange juice. And POM. I've read on coth that Coke was recommended by a vet to help prevent colic. And the OJ and POM have lots of antioxidants.

I bought my horse Guinness to celebrate his 21st birthday and he turned his nose up. My friends and I still had a good time for some reason :-)

My Mom was told to drink Guiness after childbirth, much to her delight.

It is made from all things horses like so they could learn to lap it up?

We sell Guiness and I would say its nearly 80% for humans and 20% for horses. My horses love it. The yeast in the beer is great for their tummies!
    Kim
    The Galloping Grape
    Warrenton, VA
    http://www.GallopingGrape.com

My TB went on Guinness last year when he had anhydrosis (more from a surgery the fall before and his body was out of whack.) so I gave him guinness and One AC to get him sweating. He did sweat normally this summer on One AC only, but I gave him guinness on the hot days he worked as he loves his guinness and that it was a good way to get electolytes and carbs back in him.

Some say dark beer, others say any beer, will work to get a horse to sweat. Mine loves his dark beer, which I just pour into his feed. He'd get every drop and lick up the pail to make sure nothing was left. I give the big can so i didn't have to worry about bottle tops at the barn and I just did it once a day. My vet just about had a heart attack when I said I'd give the big cans, as he thought it was too much..but then my horse is 17 hands and half Irish TB. LOL
    I love my OTTB! I get my dressage test done faster!

Whiskey for my men, beer for my horses......

Bump to remove spam off front page.

Thank you, 5 chestnuts, for your gallantry with the spammer.

I'm waiting for the local health food shop to get the goldenrod drops. I checked today and they hadn't ordered them, and didn't realize there was a large horse waiting for them. With his legs crossed, and a resigned expression....

However, my riding friend and I decided to check the Guiness to see if it was safe for the horse. It took a couple of bottles, but, someone had to do it...