The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dressage Book Suggestions for Training Young Horse

I'm on yet another young horse starting journey (glutten for punishment here! LOL) and want to expand my knowledge base and get some good reading material for ideas and clear exercises, etc for starting a young dressage horse. I would love something that starts with the first rides and progresses through asking for contact, teaching bend, lateral movements, etc etc. Something that clearly explains when and why they suggest doing things in a clear manner. Anyone have suggestions for where to start? I'm going to be having knee surgery this winter and since I can't ride I will use the time to study up and learn some new ideas and techniques. Thanks!
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

Museler Riding Logic
    Steinbrecht Gymnasium of the horse

both of those are foundation german dressage texts - both are easy to read and comprehensive.

or Podhasjky - The complete training of horse and rider.

or you can "water" down the info a bit and try

Klimke - Basic Training of teh Young Horse
    Crossley - The young horse the first two years

you might also want to get the book by Michael Putz - while not specifically about youngsters it is perhaps the best book on practical riding theory i have ever read.

My favorites for walking you through the young horse training are

Noel Jackson's Effective Horsemanship

A d'Endrody's Give Your Horse A Chance

Both address more than dressage, but focus on dressage for the early training.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

The Elements of Dressage: A Guide to Training the Young Horse by Kurd Albrecht von Ziegner got really good reviews on Amazon. I just ordered it yesterday so I can't tell you what I think of it yet, but I'm looking forward to reading it!

Quote Originally Posted by esdressage View Post
    The Elements of Dressage: A Guide to Training the Young Horse by Kurd Albrecht von Ziegner got really good reviews on Amazon. I just ordered it yesterday so I can't tell you what I think of it yet, but I'm looking forward to reading it!
    I have this one and learned a lot from it. He does change up the training tree, but he also explains why he does. For example, why he goes for straightness before impulsion. Really fascinating, and one I plan on re-reading as I work with my youngster.

Thanks! I'll get ordering! I've always had trainers or at least knowledgeable friends around to bounce ideas off of when I train a horse. I've moved from the city back to my hometown and their isn't a soul around who does dressage and can be my sounding board and eyes on the ground! I figure some good books will give me new tools and be a good reference if I get stuck!
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

I really like Steinbrecht as he discusses why's very well and when's - like you don't start lateral work till your horse can bend.

I think Mueller is excellent but more about the rider than the horse, and Podhajsky doesn't really discussing the actual starting that well. Most of the classics are more for once the horse is accepting of the rider.

Paul Belasik's Dressage for the 21st Century has a very good section on lungeing with pics which are more helpful than illustrations. I do think he brings a horse's nose in more than I would at such an early stage but it does jibe with Podhajsky's illustration of early stages of riding. He also does not use a lungeing cavesson in the pics which some would take exception to, but I have yet to find a good cavesson at affordable prices and have used the line through the bit method without injury to my horses.

I went through a lot of books for help with starting horses but found I had to take bits and pieces from many sources. The hardest part is the transition from lungeing to actually sitting on the horse. The first few rides seem to be missing or glossed over in many discussions.

Anthony Crossley's Training of the Young Horse is like my bible.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

North of the Frozen Tundra, but I can see it from my house.

Klimke's Basic Training of the Young Horse. The older one by Reiner, or the newer edition with his daughter, Ingrid. both are very good. I also like Dressage Tips and Training Solutions using the German Method.

Reading is a great compliment to working with a trainer that you trust. Have fun!!!