The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tracing a microchip number -- need help!

In a nutshell: several years ago I bought my horse, was told he was Dutch and had only recently been imported, and was promised his papers. I never got the papers, despite trying for over a year, and pretty much gave up on ever finding out what his breeding lines are.

However, a few months ago, I learned that after a certain year, all Dutch horses were microchipped. Given my horse's age (what I had been told by the seller was backed up up the vet during the PPE), we figured he should have a microchip.

I finally was able to get my vet out with a scanner and he does indeed have a microchip (yea!). So now, I'm trying to figure out how to proceed. An initial search on Google led me to this site:
    http://www.pve.nl/pve?waxtrapp=szhtB...hfMsHsuOpbPREY but when I typed in the number, it said no matches were found. I found another site that listed the country codes, which make up the first numbers, and the code for Holland, 528, are the first three numbers of my horse's microchip.

So, what now? Can anyone steer me to who I can contact to follow up on this? I would so love to know the breeding of my very special horse! TIA

Found this on another message board; hopefully this will help you out:

The vet went over my horse with a scanner and found he did have a micro chip. I sent an email to servicedesk@knhs.nl and they replied to me really quickly. It was so exciting as I thought I would never know much about my horse's past. We found out his exact birthday, who he was by and his competition record.

Best of luck!

I really have no idea but had two suggestions:

1. Who/how was the microchipping process required - can you contact the agency in charge to see if they can assist?

2. For dogs, I believe there is only one company. When I had mine chipped we were given a 1800 number etc. to call - perhaps you can track down the number via the supplier of equine chips?

I did also see several links on this issue - this one talked a bit more specifically about her success - maybe try contacting her and seeing who she spoke to?

http://ihdg.proboards.com/index.cgi?...t&thread=75399

Good luck!!

The problem is, if nobody ever registered the chip, then you can't find any information about the horse.

This happens with dogs all the time, a stray dog will come into our rescue with a microchip but the owners of the dog didn't take the time to register the chip in their name.

Good luck! Keep us updated.
    Proud Native Texan!
    owned by 3 Cardigan Corgi's + 3 wonderful horses!

Quote Originally Posted by nycrider2004 View Post
    For dogs, I believe there is only one company.
    FYI, there is more than one company for dogs. Both of mine are chipped, but the chips are for different companies.
    "Oh, sure, you may be able to take down one smurf, but mark my words: You bonk one smurf, you better be ready for a blue wave."---Bucky Katt

I received a microchip for my gelding when he was inspected. Normally they have a vet available to insert but they did not at my site, (this was in 2001). I was under the impression that they are not the standard microchip that is used in pet ID. I know that my gelding's chip was not readable by my vet's scanner. If you know the #, can you contact the verband and see if they can help you?

Quote Originally Posted by Pcostx View Post
    The problem is, if nobody ever registered the chip, then you can't find any information about the horse.

This happens with dogs all the time, a stray dog will come into our rescue with a microchip but the owners of the dog didn't take the time to register the chip in their name.

Good luck! Keep us updated.
    Chances are if the horse was chipped it was done while getting the papers sorted. Having the vet out to chip only would be silly and an expensive vet call. You get chip from vet while he fills in all the other information as well.

All she knows is horse was chipped in Holland. Could be half a dozen registries horse is in. If my mare was chipped you'd find out her country code is Ireland but she is in the main foal book of the KWPN. So you see what I mean.

I would start with the links people gave you and go from there. Chances are it is definitely recorded somewhere. The chances of people going to all the hassle of sorting micro and papers and then not sending it in is slim indeed.

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Vets chip dogs/cats, etc. all the time, but they NEVER send in the paperwork, that is the owners responsibility.

Once the animal is chipped the vet hands the owner the paperwork and it's up to owner to fill it out and mail/fax or email to chip company. That's why so many of them are never registered.

Perhaps it's different w/ horses but it seems as if it would be a lot of extra paperwork for the vet to do, I seriously doubt a vet would take the time to register your chip for you after it was implanted. Now, if the chip was done as part of a breed registry ID, THEY might register the chip in the owners name as part of the registration paperwork they do.

We chip every dog we adopt out and I personally go online and register the chip for the new owner to prevent them from 'forgetting' to do it in the excitement of bringing a new dog home.

Now if the breeder chipped the horse as a foal, then yes, I can see the breeder registering the foal in his/her name. Responsible dog breeders will do that, perhaps horse breeders do to?

I deal w/ the Hanoverian breed and we still brand our babies! I understand Oldenburg has gone to the chip and doesn't brand any more? I think that's crazy.

Anyway, let's just hope OP finds info. on her horse through the chip, then it will have done its job.
    Proud Native Texan!
    owned by 3 Cardigan Corgi's + 3 wonderful horses!