The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What types of water bottles do you like on the trail?

I love the stainless bottles, but they don't have pop tops and cannot be squeezed. What is everyone's preference for trail riding and bottles? Plastic or stainless and why? I need to make some for a group of trail riders and want to pick the right style. It is a surprise, so I don't want to just ask them.

And no one say bottles filled with beer either

Personally, I love my Nalgene bottles. The wide mouth is great, because I can stuff it full of ice cubes. The only drawback is how to carry them around.

For that, I have an old BMB nylon water bottle holder with a scissor snap for clipping to a D-ring. I lost the original water bottle it came with, but the standard Nalgenes fit perfectly. I'm not sure BMB makes them anymore, though. I bought mine in the '90s.

The ones I like the best come from a distance cycling shop (Trail's End) - they are soft plastic, have a huge opening (for easy entry of ice cubes) and a thinner "neck" to make it easy to grab and hold, and have a soft pop-top squirt button that is easy to pull up with your teeth while on the go.

I wouldn't go with the steel ones. Too heavy, and I don't like the "sippy openings" - I just can't drink from them without spilling stuff all down my shirt.

I use any kind - doesn't matter to me. I have a whole collection of all different types. You don't have to fill bottles with ice cubes. Just freeze the whole bottle of water overnight, and you have great cold water throughout your ride as the ice melts!

I prefer plastic bottles with the tops I can pull up with my teeth. If I have to remove a top, I'm liable to drop it. Since I prefer REALLY cold water, I freeze the bottle 2/3 full and top it off with water. It usually melts just as I need it.

I found a cheap stainless at Walgreens with a pop top. Our ice cubes from the cube maker fit into it, not sure if a regular square cube would. I think they might. I put an old sock around it to keep it from sweating all over.
    http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/sub...047409-product

I have the wide mouth Nalgene bottles and use them too, but I can't drink from them on the move without dumping water on myself. Weaver makes water bottle holders that they fit into. I think that's the brand I have.

How important is it that the bottle be insulated?

Default tupperware sport bottle

I use the Tupperware Sport Bottles, and love them! I have the large. They come with an attached cup at the bottom, but I just remove that. They slide in my bottle holders perfectly, and are large enough that they don't fly out while loping.

http://order.tupperware.com/pls/htpr...r=P10056176000
    Last edited by Anon40something; Oct. 14, 2011 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Added the link

Default Best.bottle.ever

Best riding water bottle ever. Won't spill, keeps beverages cold. Easy to drink with one hand. Good size. Durable. No "plastic-y" taste. Fits in saddle water holders.

Higly recommend.

http://www.basspro.com/CamelBak-Podi...0225800/110459

I second RackOn's recommendation. The Camelbak Podium bottles are my favorite. They will keep your fluids fairly cool, even in the saddle packs on a trotting furnace. I bought 2 for Tevis 2010 and have used them since. One is currently in hiding so I've been able to compare the Podium to a regular insulated (and cheaper) bottle during my last 2 rides. Big difference. If you can't stand the thought of getting a warm/hot swig of water while riding, invest in the Podiums and then make sure they don't bounce out of your pack.

Debbie

Quote Originally Posted by RackOn View Post
    Best riding water bottle ever. Won't spill, keeps beverages cold. Easy to drink with one hand. Good size. Durable. No "plastic-y" taste. Fits in saddle water holders.

Higly recommend.

http://www.basspro.com/CamelBak-Podi...0225800/110459
    My hubby got me one of these with the caribiner clip before I had a saddle bag with water bottle holders. Great for the hot climates, if you freeze it before hand - it stays cold during the ride!