The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Kentucky Belt or Rider's Belt?

A lady I used to ride with had what she called a Kentucky belt. She said it could be used in an emergency as a stirrup leather, hound leash, or bridle part. It was also fairly attractive.

I have searched this forum and found it mentioned as a Rider's Belt, but no google search has worked. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and where to find one?

Thank you!
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

I found a folding hoof pick belt.

http://www.berettausa.com/products/hoof-pick-belt/

who remembers having to carry a folding hoof pick when going cross county in Pony club (probably early 60s)?

hobble belt.
    http://www.ravenswoodleather.net/sho...&id=3&parent=5

we used to just tie the reins to a frong leg.
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

Talking Good grief!!

Geeeeezz and I thought I'd heard of EVERYTHING!!
    I'm guessing it's what I call a "sissy strap" or "Jesus strap" or neck strap. I mean....some can be attractive...some not! And they can be used as belts, leads, whips, collars, leashes, stirrup leathers (which they is!), slings (for broken collar bones/arms), tournequets, and most anything you want to! And I found mine on the floor in the tack room when I couldn't find it's mate. Hey! It happens! So I found it a job!! Just sayin'!!
    No need to actually go buy one....borry one from a friend! BE GREEN! RECYCLE!

Oh yeah, and they're good for stranglin' husbands..... or whomever needs it...just sayin'!!

Viola!!

http://www.smartpakequine.com/foldin...elt-1720p.aspx

http://www.narragansettleathers.com/HoofPickBelt.html

http://www.legacytack.com/pc/11882/A...Pick+Belt.html

Bartville Harness makes one as well. They don't have a web site as they are Amish. They will mail you a catalog if you call them.

Phone: 717-529-6992
    1243 Noble Rd
    Christiana PA 17509
    US

Happy Shopping!!

Bartville has the one you are looking for. I think it is about $30.

Just bought one from Bartville. Before tax it was $22.50. Being made by them, it's amazing. Snap on one end that hooks to a loop. Length is adjustable by a sliding buckle.

I love that style of belt!
    I see some retail therapy coming up...
    Intermediate Riding Skills

can someone post a picture please!
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

I have one that I received as a gift from my boss at the farm I used to work at. It has a brass snap on it on one end, and a D-loop on the other, where the leather loops through. My boss had mine made to my waist size by the guy (Ridgely) at Maryland Saddlery who does all their leather work. First time I wore it I had to use it! I also wear it when I'm working with my race horses just in case there is a loose horse or something and need to grab one. Mine is very similar to the Bartville one except is has a better roller/pin to go through the holes for adjusting.

Quote Originally Posted by kkindley View Post
    Just bought one from Bartville. Before tax it was $22.50. Being made by them, it's amazing. Snap on one end that hooks to a loop. Length is adjustable by a sliding buckle.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteeleRdr View Post
    I have one that I received as a gift from my boss at the farm I used to work at. It has a brass snap on it on one end, and a D-loop on the other, where the leather loops through. My boss had mine made to my waist size by the guy (Ridgely) at Maryland Saddlery who does all their leather work. First time I wore it I had to use it! I also wear it when I'm working with my race horses just in case there is a loose horse or something and need to grab one. Mine is very similar to the Bartville one except is has a better roller/pin to go through the holes for adjusting.
    That's it! Thank you! I'll contact Bartville for a catalog...They may have some other stuff I "need"
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

But the OP's question said it could be used as a stirrup leather, hound leash or bridle part????

The one from Bartville can. I can't find my catalog, or I'd scan a photo for you.

Call Bartville and ask them to send you a catalog.

I've had occasion to need an emergency belt - two dark horses on a dark night on a dark road, loose, but we had our belts...

A "country belt":

http://cleverwithleather.com/index.p...emart&Itemid=1

There used to be, a zillion years ago, someone who had an ad in the print COTH who made these. I had the ad in my file box of neato things.

Couldn't find them in business anymore, but did find the above link in my searches.

I did have one of those fancy hoof pick belts for a while, but then it shrank and doesn't go around me anymore.

Being generally po' folks, I often just wore a stirrup leather as my belt.
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

rivenoak - That is it exactly! Thank you.

p.s. - sorry for my long absece before replying...Hunting is not on my regular rounds of the forums

Yup got mine there...cheaper than a stirrup leather

Bartville Harness makes one as well. They don't have a web site as they are Amish. They will mail you a catalog if you call them.

Phone: 717-529-6992
    1243 Noble Rd
    Christiana PA 17509
    US

Happy Shopping!!

I see the purchase of Christmas present being purchased in my near future!!!

Thank you for this fabulous idea!