The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Smile Using dog clippers on horses?

I have one cob I would like to clip this winter. I'm considering doing a trace clip or other partial clip. A pair of horse clippers is just an expense I can't afford this year. I've heard from a couple of friends that they've used dog clippers for clipping jobs on their horses? Anyone have an experience with this?

The clippers I'm looking at purchasing are these, http://www.amazon.com/Wahl-9281-210-...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

Default Clippers

I have those clippers... they weren't strong enough to clip my dog, so I now use them as whisker/bridlepath clippers at the barn.... they work well for whiskers... not so good for the bridlepath I don't think they would be able to handle a trace clip AT ALL.

I love my Andis and my Oster A5's.... well worth $135 I think I have paid for each of them. They work great with a 10W blade and can zip through a trace clip and I have even tortured them with a few body clips.

Quote Originally Posted by rememberthenight View Post
    I have those clippers... they weren't strong enough to clip my dog, so I now use them as whisker/bridlepath clippers at the barn.... they work well for whiskers... not so good for the bridlepath I don't think they would be able to handle a trace clip AT ALL.

I love my Andis and my Oster A5's.... well worth $135 I think I have paid for each of them. They work great with a 10W blade and can zip through a trace clip and I have even tortured them with a few body clips.
    I would second this. As a former groomer, I'm sure the clippers you linked to wouldn't clip a dog, let alone a horse. I've always used my Andis and Oster A5s on the horses. Just body clipped my Mustang last month. Sometime you can get a good deal on a reconditioned pair on eBay.
    (My first pro grooming clippers were reconditioned A5s that I paid $25 for, with a set of 5 blades and a pair of grooming shears - but that was 30+ years ago. )
    "And I will be an embarrassment to all
    Who have not found the peace in being free
    to have a horse as a best friend."

Probably the cheapest thing you can get away with for a full clip is something in the A5/Andis Super 2 range. I managed to once clip a very light coated QH with a set of Wahl Iron Horse clippers with the wide blade, but it was a miracle and they wouldn't have made a dent in my hairy draft cross gelding. I can't clip him with anything less than a pair of Lister Stars.

You can get a set of Super 2s with the T-10 wide blade for less than you'd spend on a pro clip, and you have something to show for it a few months down the road. I'd recommend those over the A5s hands down, based on extensive personal experience.

do. not. buy. wahl. they are total crap, and can barely even trim muzzle whiskers, let alone cut coat smoothly.
    this is my clipper and I do a trace clip each year on my horse with it, give my SO haircuts every 4 weeks, plus give my border collie shavedowns. (they all have their own set of blades)
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Ya you really do need to have a decent pair of clippers to get through a horse. Good dog clippers are the same as good horse clippers.

I use either oster or andis. I own a dog grooming salon and have done all my horses' clipping (including full bodies multiple times a winter) since I was 15 or so.

the clippers you linked to are the same i bought for my maltese. don't waste your money. If they cant clip a light (not double coated) 3 lb dog.. they won't clip a horse.

Maybe it would be better to pay someone to clip your horse or to rent appropriate clippers to get the job done? Underpowered/inadequate clippers are no fun!!!!!

My local tack shop rents clippers at very reasonable prices. Maybe yours does too?