The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How Exactly DO You Go About Ordering An Entire TT of Hay?

Wondering how exactly to go about ordering an entire tractor trailer load of hay? How do you guarantee quality and weight? Tired of schlepping hay around....
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

If you find a hay wholesaler, they probably have existing relationships with commercial truckers and can set you up with one headed your way.

If not, you might contact the Teamsters Union Hall (or local equivalent) and ask for the typical rate calculations as well as the names of any Operators in your area. In Alberta, it is very common for truckers to charge a rate per weight of cargo per loaded kilometer.

In terms of hay quality, when I have purchased large truckloads, I usually travel to the hay seller and check out the supply and inquire after storage arrangements. When you buy a large quantity, many hay sellers will produce testing data (moisture content, baling time/date/condition, quantity baled, location of field, make-up and nutrient analysis) and the contract you would sign at the time you decide to enter the contract would specify how many bales from each "batch" you were getting. The contract also often contains a clause where the seller can substitute a certain percentage of your order with XXXX (usually of equivalent value.)

After you pay the deposit and agree on a price per weight (or a flat rate per bale...) you typically do not pay the balance until you are presented with the weigh scale information from the trucker. The final dollar amount is based on the official department of highways weight records (trucker gets his weight recorded empty and loaded.)
    Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior

We order by the TT and pay a price per bale. Of course you have to have someone diligently counting each bale that comes out, and a bunch of people to help you stack it!
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

I just did it, for the first time. Hay prices in this area are going up so fast I wanted enough to get me through most of the winter. I got a reference from a friend who has bought hay from this particular dealer, and called not only him but every other dealer in this area. I used the dealer recommended by my friend and got super hay, exactly as described by the seller.

I would never buy hay of that quantity by the bale; I want weight and it came in with all the weight information, as I paid by the ton. The weight of a bale in my part of the world can vary from 80 to 120 lbs., so it could make a big difference in how much hay I get if I were to pay by the bale.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Find a hay dealer you really trust. I would get references from big barns or talk to other folks who do the same in the area (other small barns, feed shops, etc.).

I have a guy I call whenever I need hay and basically say, "I need 5 tons of orchard grass or timothy.....whatever you have that looks nicer right now." I trust my guy completely to bring me good hay in the right quantity, and don't bother counting or weighing anything. I've always treated them well.....I pay in full when they drop the hay off, I'm always friendly, I never make weird demands. And in turn, I've had a grand total of 10 bales of hay with mold over 8 years, and 8 of those bales came from one load one year where hay was next to impossible to find, and they brought me free bales to make up for it.

So my advice is to find a reputable hay dealer and then make yourself one of their favorite customers (which is completely independent of quantity)

I just bought a half truck/trailer load, and I only have 4 horses. Feed store prices were killing me. I asked a friend who owns a boarding stable and who always has nice hay, and she put me in touch with the grower she has bought from for years and who services a number of barns in my area. The grower arranged for trucking; it was really easy. The hardest part was hand stacking the bales since a squeeze can't fit into my hay barn. Price per 105# bale to my door was $13.60 versus $18.50 in the feed stores, so a big savings.

As others have said, trailer loads of hay are usually sold by the ton. This ensures both the seller and the buyer are treated fairly, and it doesn't matter if bales are odd-sized. The truck/trailer are weighed empty and full, so you know how much hay was delivered.

As far as quality goes...you have to trust your hay dealer. Ask other local farms who they use; look at samples of their hay. Most hay dealers would MUCH rather sell by the semi-load (~700 bales) than 100 bales at a time. You're likely to get better consistency, as a big truckload at once will probably come from the same field straight off the farm. Picking up 100 bales here, 100 bales there could leave you with "scraps" from different places.
    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
    ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

Call Tamara in TN.
    http://www.productionacres.com/
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

I call my hay guy in Canada. I buy by the bale - the
    tractor trailer holds 550-600 bales. I pay $5.50 a bale
    and the bales average 45 lbs. The hay is good quality
    timothy-orchard grass mix.
    He leaves the trailer, picks up the empty and swaps them
    every 6 weeks or so. I pay an additional $50 for the trailer
    usage, but I also can unload at my leisure. About 2 weeks
    out, I call and reorder. Check on delivery.
    Rarely bad bales, but any can be put aside and sent back
    for credit.

Quote Originally Posted by dotneko View Post
    I call my hay guy in Canada.
    How did you find your hay guy?
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

I did not realize that I had been driving by hay squeezes for years in CA. I knew they were giant hay forklift things but here is a video of one in action http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDbTMugnHjo

Tamara palletizes hers so they can be moved with a standard forklift, and here in KY I've never seen a squeeze. Round bales and spears on tractors and hand unloading.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

From my vets recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by dotneko View Post
    I call my hay guy in Canada. I buy by the bale - the
    tractor trailer holds 550-600 bales. I pay $5.50 a bale
    and the bales average 45 lbs. The hay is good quality
    timothy-orchard grass mix.
    He leaves the trailer, picks up the empty and swaps them
    every 6 weeks or so. I pay an additional $50 for the trailer
    usage, but I also can unload at my leisure. About 2 weeks
    out, I call and reorder. Check on delivery.
    Rarely bad bales, but any can be put aside and sent back
    for credit.
    Ooooooooohhhhhhhhhh.
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Bumping this hoping for some specific names/contact info for reputable hay dealers that deliver to the southeast (NC). Thanks everyone, great info...
    ---

Every spring my BO takes a TT load of alfalfa hay to a goat breeder in Tn! He has been doing it for years.