The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default "The Cup" - New Movie from the Director of "Phar Lap"

Video trailer at the link. Based on a true story. Looks great!!

http://www.cupmovie.com.au/
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Sweet. Loved "Phar Lap".

Although when my mom showed it to me when I was young, she didn't warn me about the ending, and when it was over I was like "WHY DID YOU MAKE ME WATCH THAT WTFFFFF" lol.

At 1:05 in the trailer -- how did they DO that accident scene? I gasped (and someone poked their head into my office to see if I was OK).
    ...somewhere between the talent and the potato....

Quote Originally Posted by Anselcat View Post
    At 1:05 in the trailer -- how did they DO that accident scene? I gasped (and someone poked their head into my office to see if I was OK).
    that JUST happened to me!

wow, looks really really well made.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

The Aussies know horses so I'm sure the filmakers made sure it is authentic.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Looks like a Must-See

Does anyone know what true story it was based on?
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Here is a synopsis of the story from one of the jockies involved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW0Rf...eature=related

I click on the video and it doesn't run. It just sits there with the front picture (although it does show the video time line thing). ?? This is the first video that I can't get to work.

Any ideas? I would love to see the trailer.

Have a laptop w/ Vista and I now have Time-Warner Cable ... it should work .

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Didn't dare turn on my sound at my desk, but watched pieces of the footage and the information on the YouTube link. So, he's famous because he won the cup twice and one of those times was right after his brother died in a horse racing accident?
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

I like that 2nd video better than the trailer!
    "When life gives you scurvy, make lemonade."

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
    Didn't dare turn on my sound at my desk, but watched pieces of the footage and the information on the YouTube link. So, he's famous because he won the cup twice and one of those times was right after his brother died in a horse racing accident?
    He won the Melbourne Cup in 2002, the next day he buried his brother. It was a big deal at the time.
    A mate of mine was one of the 100,000 at Flemington that day, he said people, including grown men, openly wept.

Looks like they took a bit of artistic licence with the movie. Media Puzzle was actually Dermot Weld's 2nd string horse that day, his other horse Vinnie Roe went off as the favourite.

Sadly Media Puzzle broke a leg at Ascot a couple of years later in the Gold Cup and had to be euthanised.

I swear, Mike, you HAVE to start putting warnings on your video postings about tear-jerkers. Between this and the War Horse trailer, I've cried at work twice in the last two weeks!!! Sheesh!!!!

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon13 View Post
    I swear, Mike, you HAVE to start putting warnings on your video postings about tear-jerkers. Between this and the War Horse trailer, I've cried at work twice in the last two weeks!!! Sheesh!!!!
    No kidding. But I work at home, so it's ok.

Tom Burlinson, a.k.a. Jim Craig, The Man From Snow River, is listed in the cast on imdb.

I'm definitely not missing this one.
    Dreaming in Color

Quote Originally Posted by BaroquePony View Post
    I click on the video and it doesn't run. It just sits there with the front picture (although it does show the video time line thing). ?? This is the first video that I can't get to work.

Any ideas? I would love to see the trailer.

Have a laptop w/ Vista and I now have Time-Warner Cable ... it should work .
    I had the same issue one time. Just refresh the page and you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon13 View Post
    You're just getting in good practice so when you see both movies you will feel at home with all the other horsey people in the theater who are crying.

Here's a replay of the actual race, turn the volume up and listen to the crowd.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvhEZiWTDMY

Quote Originally Posted by Drvmb1ggl3 View Post
    Here's a replay of the actual race, turn the volume up and listen to the crowd.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvhEZiWTDMY
    thanks for posting, but wish I hadn't had a drink b4 watching that
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

Quote Originally Posted by Anselcat View Post
    I am sure it is CGI not trip wires.

Tom Burlinson also played Tommy Woodcock in Phar Lap.