The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Kineton Noseband

Any one use one of these? Why did you use it? Did it help your horse? Did it make a big difference?

Yes, borrowed my trainers when my horse had little or no breaks one lesson. Worked like a charm, a little half halt and he was right there!

I used it for a couple more lessons and eventually he got the idea. Stopped using it because now he wasn't going forward enough.
    Worked great for us!
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." --Ghandi

It works if a horse has his nose stuck out, but if he is inclined to curl under it will make him worse. It works on the nose, and also by squeezing the lips against the teeth while still having the effect of the bit. I used it on a strong little mare out hunting, but would think that in a schooling situation as Risky Business said, it would make a good temporary assist.

Thanks for the replies guys. Anyone else?

yes, our trainer had my spouse use one on her jumper. An OTTB that is a perfect gentleman at home but gets jacked the first time in a new show ring (or take your pick of 100 other "reasons"). worked really well.

There was a horse at my barn that showed in one because he tended to get really strong and pull the girl around. It worked really well at first, because she only used it at shows, and would use a regular noseband at home. When the girl started to use the kineton at home as well, the horse got used to it and therefore did not respond as well to it.

It can be a helpful tool in the right hands, but only as a temporary fix.

I used one (well, my daughter did ) on a hot little TB jumper mare who would invert and run to the jumps if given half a chance. She would duck behind a stronger bit, but the kineton worked well - to a point. A little beetle hackamore with sheepskin over the nose turned out to really do the trick for her though.
    Y'all ain't right!

They work really well on horses that get above your hands or ones that stretch out in front of your hands, if they tend to curl under not so good. I've used them on hunters, just schooling, who have soft mouths but want to get heavy. I use a kineton as one of those "surprise! you're not hanging on me today!" pieces of equipment.

I tried a Kineton on my mare and she hated it.

I saw this noseband at a local tack store and gave it a try. She loves it, is responsive in it, good steering and good brakes.

http://www.barnstormers.co.uk/acatalog/info_327.html

I tried one many years ago an a very strong jumper. Useless. Put it in a box. Tried it again on a racehorse in training. Useless. Put it back in the box. Then had a client dump a bunch of tack at my barn, stuff that she could not be bothered to pick up and take home. Guess what was included? Now I have two of the dam things, equally useless.

I hate to be one of THOSE people who swears by Micklems, but seriously, have you tried one? If you use the bit clips, the action would be pretty similar to the noseband Burgie posted. Might be worth a try. If it doesn't work, you can normally sell them pretty easily.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

LOFF my kineton. Nancy, I'd be happy to buy one (or both) of yours, lol!

Used it on my hot chestnut TB mare who hates being told what to do and hates anything harsh. Worked like a charm to rate her. It was easy as pie to go from a hand gallop to a nice bouncy little canter. Most important, it didn't make her mad!

I also use it as an "emergency brake" on the older gelding I lease if I haven't ridden in a while. It offers a little extra to keep him from getting nutty.

Like all break-assist gizmos - treat it with respect. If the horse does not get any relief when he responds, he will learn to run through that, too, just like he runs through his normal bit. Also, just thinking, there should not be any sharp edges on the teeth, since the kineton has a pinching effect...I can visualise mashed cheeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgie View Post

I saw this noseband at a local tack store and gave it a try. She loves it, is responsive in it, good steering and good brakes.

This looks interesting! What bit do you use with it?

Thanks for the replies guys. Very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgie View Post

Yeah, that's cool.

A really soft-mouthed but screwed up hunter I knew as a kid used to school in something similar. Like this: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...QEwAw&dur=6000 but hers was all leather-- not elastic or rubber.

I think it kept the bit stable, off the bars of his mouth and let him feel pressure on his nose rather than the bit. This horse was forever looking for a way to not touch a bit at all.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by KateKat View Post
    This looks interesting! What bit do you use with it?
    I use a french link loose ring (KK ultra).

Works like a charm.