The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Equine Job Interviews

I'm going in for a job interview in the next few days for a Barn Manager Position.

Now, if I were going in to a corporation, I'd know what to wear. But... I'm a bit at a loss of what type of clothes are appropriate!

Ack! Help!

Is it a riding/handling interview? Smart dark breeches, a polo and clean boots are never wrong.

For a non-riding interview, I'd go with smart dark trousers and a polo. Hair up or plaited, and no dangely jewellery.

Good luck!
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Barn manager I would say neat well fitting (but not skinny) jeans a polo and polished paddock boots.

Quote Originally Posted by PonyLady29 View Post
    Barn manager I would say neat well fitting (but not skinny) jeans a polo and polished paddock boots.
    This is what I was thinking, but I that if I had mentioned that to any non horsey friends they'd tell me I was an idiot.

The jeans was my concern. Especially since it's a top barn. That being said though, if its a job that isnt going to accept me wearing nice (not trendy) jeans with a tidy polo shirt to be a barn manager, then maybe its not the place for me.

Quote Originally Posted by PonyLady29 View Post
    Exactly. And a belt. And your hat/chaps/etc. in the car, just in case. If you're overdressed from what a barn manager generally needs to be wearing, I'm going to be left wondering if you're much of a worker.

If it's a top barn, I would show up for the interview in khaki's, polished paddock boots, and a polo shirt. Then I would ask at some point if nice (not trendy) jeans would be appropriate for every day.
    "A good horse and a good rider are only so in mutual trust."
    -H.M.E.

dark jeans (not too faded, bleached or torn) & too low rise, nice button down shirt or polo, and barn worthy shoes (Paddocks or other sturdy type shoe); and I'd also have riding gear in the car.

An HR friend of mine always says to dress one level up from what the daily wear for the job would be for an interview. You wouldn't wear a full suit to an interview for a machinist job. But you would wear khakis and a nice shirt.

That being said, I'd second the khakis, (clean!)paddocks, polo/button down and a belt look.

Good luck!

Whenever I go on job interviews I always wear khakis that I can ride in and paddocks. I vary from a nice button down to a polo but the one thing I make sure I wear is a watch. On one interview, the manager remarked on how I didn't have on a watch. Then she proceeded to ask me how do I know when I'm supposed to do something. I had simply forgot it that day rushing to get out to the interview but her snide remarks about me forgettingsomething as simple as a watch lead her to believe I was not as detail oriented as I had said. I didn't get the job, which I am glad about since she was a bitch I wouldn't want to work for but ever since, I never forgot to wear a watch to an interview because really she was right.

I think it really depends on whether or not they want to see you ride and whether or not this is an english barn or western barn. If they want to see you ride and this is an english barn, I would wear your nicest dark breeches and a polo shirt with polished boots. If they want to see you ride and it is a western barn, I would wear dark jeans, chaps, and a nice fitting western shirt.

If they do not want to see you ride, I would wear khakis and a polo with polished boots for either discipline.

I have done a few interviews for trail guide positions, and I know my biggest pet peeves are the little things like people showing up to a barn in shoes obviously not fit for a barn and crazy nail polish.

ETA: Just realized I was in the H/J section and not the Off Course, so I assume this is an english barn.
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by onelove View Post
    Whenever I go on job interviews I always wear khakis that I can ride in and paddocks. I vary from a nice button down to a polo but the one thing I make sure I wear is a watch.
    I'd go with this. You can never go wrong with that, honestly. I'd also keep jewelry to a minimum--stud earrings only, no bracelets or rings, etc. If it's cold, I'd wear a nice basic sweater over a button down shirt.
    Trying a life outside of FEI tents and hotel rooms.

Khakis, polished paddock boots, polo shirt, belt, hair pulled back or up. Even if jeans are appropriate for the job, they aren't appropriate for the interview.

Have riding clothes with you just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by onelove View Post
    I didn't get the job, which I am glad about since she was a bitch I wouldn't want to work for but ever since, I never forgot to wear a watch to an interview because really she was right.
    This is one of my favorite responses ever!!!

By the way I feel the same way, people should always wear a watch. I don't like it when people say they use their phone as their watch. People who are constantly looking at their phones appear to be constantly texting and are usually not focused on what they are doing. I would feel even more strongly about this for a barn manger. If you take your phone into the interview turn it off, not vibrate or silent but off.

Just to clarify, I've never hired a barn manager.

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEquestrian View Post
    I'm going in for a job interview in the next few days for a Barn Manager Position.

Now, if I were going in to a corporation, I'd know what to wear. But... I'm a bit at a loss of what type of clothes are appropriate!

Ack! Help!
    Dress the part you are applying for. Stay professional. Belt, tucked in ends, etc.
    "Truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it and ignorance may deride it, but, in the end, there it is." Sir Winston Churchhill

Ignore the boydantrim post, it's a more cleverly disguised spam than most.

Everyone else has said it already; khakis, nice polo/button down shirt, and polished paddock boots.

What kind of a barn "manager" is this interview for????

There are barn "managers" that run payroll, supervise staff possibly including hire/fire, track what horse gets a pro ride from whom or any other sevices billed individually or included and set the lesson schedual, keep vet recoprds and set that schedual etc.

Then you have the barn "manager" that mucks, grooms and rides those nobody else wants to get on.

Then you have some that fall in the middle.

If it's the former, it is more of an office job-but it is in a barn- so I'd go with the khakis, polished paddock boots or other sensible, leather barn shoes. Nice tailored knit top or sweater (it's cold for polos) and, maybe, a casual blazer instead of a jacket. That's what my barn managers have been wearing the past 15 years.

If it's more the latter type, pick nice jeans instead of khakis and stick with a nice jacket instead of a blazer.

No bling in either case and cover body art. Wear a watch too, time is money and you are asking to go on their dime.

In most big barns, the barn manager is...a manager. Very, very seldom is it a regular, paid riding position-that's what trainers do.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

If you are in a cold part of the country, I would have no problem with someone showing up with a turtleneck and a clean vest or fleece jacket (or both if it's really cold!), khaki pants or nice jeans. Belt. Barn and mud worthy shoes but clean. Minimal, if any, makeup. The watch is a good idea.
    2016 RRP Makeover Competitor www.EnviousBid.com

Quote Originally Posted by joiedevie99 View Post
    Khakis, polished paddock boots, polo shirt, belt, hair pulled back or up. Even if jeans are appropriate for the job, they aren't appropriate for the interview.

Have riding clothes with you just in case.
    This!

I also agree with the watch theory.

Folks, this thread was started in 2011.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by kookicat View Post
    Folks, this thread was started in 2011.
    I wonder if the OP got the job?