The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Washing/Cleaning a fleece lined girth?

I recently bought a used dressage girth and it is leather with real fleece lining. However, the fleece is filthy and needs a good cleaning. Unfortunately, it's not one of those removable liners. So, do I just throw it in the machine with Woolite and condition the heck out of the leather or is there a better way to get all that old sweat and dirt out of the fleece?

Thanks!
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Maybe a wet cloth and woolite? I'm not sure the leather can just go thru the wash, but maybe it can.
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

I've been washing my leather bridles in the washer for years, and it doesn't seem to do them any harm, so I'd imagine you could do the same for your girth. I always put them in on cold, gentle, tie them in an old pillowcase or something to keep them from banging and tangling too much, and I generally wash them with shampoo instead of detergent. Pull them out immediately after they're done, let dry thoroughly, and then I oil them with vegetable oil.

Clearly, I'm cheap and lazy, but I have 20 year old bridles that still look great. I know it's not what you're supposed to do, but so far it's been working well for me.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

Yes wash in washer on gentle cycle with either leather therapy or woolite. Air dry and then fluff the fleece with a wire dog brush. Oil the letter. Easy peasy.

Yup - use the washer on gentle and a product like PedePede leather wash as soap. Works like a charm

Great ideas! I've never heard of PedePede leather wash so I'll use either LT or Woolite. Thanks all.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Default washing fleece

WaySide, thanks for that info!