The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Question on mixing joint supplements/injections

I have been noticing my big guy has been more reluctant than usual in dressage the past few weeks. Not unsound, but he doesn't want to lengthen, and there have been a few instances of hesitating to pick up his right lead. The light bulb went off when I realized his last monthly shot of Pentosan (Adequan-type injection) was back in June. I'm going to put him back on the injections, but would it hurt to also have him on an oral glucosamine supplement such as Cosequin? I can start him on that today whereas I doubt I'll have the Pentosan for another week or two.

Probably won't hurt, may or may not help. I'd put my money on the injectables. One change at a time helps to sort out which intervention is helping.
    Click here before you buy.

It will definitely not hurt, but I think it will be unlikely to help, especially in that small amount of time.

I have used a joint supplement together with pentosan and alone. Alone, I got nothing, but pentosan made a BIG difference, with or without an oral supplement. I would save your money and get a new bottle of pentosan.

Wait for the pentosan. I have no faith in any of the oral supplements. Pentosan, on the other hand. . . wow. Has made an unbelieveable difference in my middle aged CDE pony and I have just started our middleaged polocrosse mares on it.

Pentosan? Is this a Legend or Adaquan type injectable? Agree with all PP, oral supplements are a waste of $$$.

I believe it is an Australian product - off label here or just approved, not sure. If you google it you will come up with their website.

Protocols seem to vary a bit, but the basic idea is 6ccs once a week for 4-6 weeks and then a dose at semi-regular and/or as needed after that.

I was somewhat skeptical, but tried it on my "middled aged had a hard life with little care before coming to me " CDE pony. About two days after his third dose (2/3 of the way through a competition) I picked up the reins in prep for cones and thought "whoa! where did this pony come from and where was he on dressage day." Soft supple and through. Hugely more "driveable". Pony had previously been very stiff and very dry mouthed. Now is (after a short warm up) far less stiff and looks rabid. I'm sold. This guy had previously been on adequan and I honestly saw not much difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Gry2Yng View Post
    Pentosan? Is this a Legend or Adaquan type injectable? Agree with all PP, oral supplements are a waste of $$$.

Pentosan is more affordable too...well, at least it has been for me. Only can get it componded here in the US. So not all vets seem to know about or get it. Supposedly it actually helps joint health more too.

I've had a couple on it. Some I've seen a difference and others I have not.....like most things!

About to start the new OTTB on it.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

I use the "premium" Cosequin ASU, and it really does make a difference in my horse. I don't agree that all the orals are a waste of money. I do agree that the injectable work much quicker - the Cosequin takes a few weeks to kick in.