The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Braiding the non-exsistent forelock

The boss is attempting to take his very cool but sometimes naughty mare out in public this weekend and I'll be braiding her. The mane will be no issue, but she basically has half a dozen hairs coming out of her forehead....Do I make any attempt to braid it, or do we just pretend it's braided and not look, lest we embarrass her??

My coach makes me braid Flecks...... and then in the process of unbraiding it I rip about half of it out..... sigh.... He's literally got about 6 hairs... it just looks ridiculous. But then again.. my friends horse has SOOO much forelock he has a unicorn horn... which looks even more ridiculous!
    So you know..... you can't win!

I have the opposite problem. My boy's forelock is GINORMOUS. I have my work cut out for me to make it look somewhat normal.

The forelock sausage at its finest: http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/...ocksausage.jpg

I would just not braid it if I were you. It could end up looking ridiculous haha.
    "Many are riders; many are craftsmen; but few are artists on horseback."
    ~George Morris

The more affordable edge of Eventing Heaven, VA

I would work in some extra yarn or string to bulk up the forelock a bit. When I was grooming, I was VERY jealous of the job Kim Severson's groom did with Tipperary Liadhnan, she did a marvelous job with that luxurious forelock.

http://www.threedaysthreewaysblog.co...dhnan-8724.jpg (through Google images)

My primary charge had about twelve forelock hairs and I was never happy with how her forelock turned out. My horse is not well-endowed in the bangs department either, and add that to an intense aversion to having any of his mane braided, let alone his forelock, I'm lucky if it all ends up in one knot.
    Leap, and the net will appear - A Salty Piece of Land, Jimmy Buffett

YB, skip the braid - it just looks lonely with only 6 hairs. I used to have an Akhal-Teke and one of the breed characteristics is a full tail, sparse mane, and zero forelock. Any attempt at braiding that thing was disappointing at best.

Tail extensions are bad enough, if we start having forelock extensions . . . . ?!
    Always be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Then always be Batman.

The Grove at Five Points

Quote Originally Posted by ACMEeventing View Post
    Tail extensions are bad enough, if we start having forelock extensions . . . . ?!
    Actually, forelock extensions already do exist:

http://www.theshowpen.com/Forelock-Extensions-s/60.htm

"Many are riders; many are craftsmen; but few are artists on horseback."
    ~George Morris

I've got an old-style Hanoverian gelding who somehow ended up with no mane, no tail, and no forelock. The mane thing was handy, because that stoic serious gentleman would NOT stand for mane-pulling.

For the forelock, I did the same as WNT. Add a couple like-colored strands of yarn, and voila... a semi-decent forelock. Almost.

OP: know you don't want to hear this and it won't help you with your problem, but I'd trade any day.

My mare has a forelock down to her nose and thick and wide. I cut it off all the time and turn around and it's back. I thin it and pull it. It's like a tail on her head.

She reminds me of that hair cutting doll where you cut off all of her hair and then hit a button and a whole new head of hair appears.

Sometimes I wish I had your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by horseshrink View Post
    OP: know you don't want to hear this and it won't help you with your problem, but I'd trade any day.

My mare has a forelock down to her nose and thick and wide. I cut it off all the time and turn around and it's back. I thin it and pull it. It's like a tail on her head.

She reminds me of that hair cutting doll where you cut off all of her hair and then hit a button and a whole new head of hair appears.

Sometimes I wish I had your problem.
    Bwaaahahahahahaha! Yes! A nice demure little forelock would be so nice.

OP, I think it's perfectly acceptable not to braid the forelock.

I usually use rubber bands on sparse forelocks (but braid manes with yarn or waxed thread). It's not perfect but you can hardly see it anyway just braid it down as best you can, band the bottom, fold it up and band it until it stays in place - usually once at the bottom of the fold and once in the middle. Play around with it until it looks decent. Good luck!

I braid my horse's nonexistent forelock and while it does not look as nice as a "real" forelock, it does look neat and tidy (which it would not if it wasn't). It ends up just looking like a "normal" braid, I don't try to french braid it.

Quote Originally Posted by EventingJ View Post
    I braid my horse's nonexistent forelock and while it does not look as nice as a "real" forelock, it does look neat and tidy (which it would not if it wasn't). It ends up just looking like a "normal" braid, I don't try to french braid it.
    That's about 10 times as much hair as this girl has. I am not really exaggerating when I say there's 6 hairs up there (maybe 10)! I'll fuss with it and see what I decide. My horse, Paco, had very little hair (but still more than this one), and I did just add yarn to it...I don't know if there's enough hair to hold yarn in!

Sad thing is that this girl needs a forelock!! She has a bald face and blue eyes, and with that nonexistent forelock, her face looks very stark.

I have a friend who made a little fake braid out of tail hair. I believe she hot glued on a little Velcro. It looks really good!

My big guy also has NO forelock. When we absolutely had to braid, we sort of twisted it into a little ball and rubber banded it. I don't see how we could have even done a braid, yarn or no yarn.
    It looked tidier than wisps and from a few feet away you couldn't really tell it wasn't a (little) braid...you see what you expect to see.
    However, he is dark bay with a black mane. On more contrast, it might not have worked so well, or at least been more obviously pathetic looking...
    The big man -- my lost prince

The little brother, now my main man

Skip the forelock braid. Nothing looks sillier than trying to braid nothing, IMO.
    Click here before you buy.

Don't braid the forlock let it grow. There are a few show ponies out there that just skip the forlock braiding and let it hang out. Pretty cute on the right pony.

As for the people with really thick or loads of forlock. Try a knot instead of a traditional braid. I have to do this with Rum instead of a traditional pull through. Because his forlock is so long it looks like a unicorn the other way. So just braid down wrap around pull through to make a knot then pull through the braid like you normally do. then you can ty it off. Looks great. I also did his mane that way when we kept it long for welsh pony shows. Hope that helps. I will try to find any pictures of it but i don't think i have any!

Quote Originally Posted by lucyeq View Post
    Actually, forelock extensions already do exist:

http://www.theshowpen.com/Forelock-Extensions-s/60.htm

Okay . . . but I draw the line at butt implants!
    Always be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Then always be Batman.

The Grove at Five Points

I've always just attempted a half-assed french braid in Roux's. His is so shabby there's like nothing there. It looks fine once it's buttoned up.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzy Lady View Post
    I've always just attempted a half-assed french braid in Roux's. His is so shabby there's like nothing there. It looks fine once it's buttoned up.
    This is pretty much what I do with my gelding's nonexistant forelock. Straight from "it's the thought that counts" school of braiding...

I went with no braid. Really, there is nothing there to work with. I stood in front of her on a stool for a couple of minutes, playing with what was there, but, really, nothing. I flattened what was there down and called it a day. Or crazy blue eyes kinda draw your attention anyway...they were far more the topic of discussion than her forelock.