The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default USDF Adult clinic with Lilo Fore

Has anyone participated in this clinic as a rider or an auditor? Tell me about your experience, please!

I'm pondering...

She is a very gifted teacher. If the symposium wasn't 10 hours away I would go.

The April one is just up the road from me, which is an unusual turn of events when you live in the hinterlands. I'll certainly be going to audit, but I'm having a wild hair about applying for a spot to ride. I have until mid-Feb to make my mind up and get it together with a video...

I haven't done the "usdf adult clinic", but I have participated in a 3 day clinic with Lilo riding both of my horses all 3 days (6 lessons total). You should absolutely make every effort to ride with her.

I was very fortunate to ride with Lilo monthly back when I was a working student at an eventing barn.

I had a difficult, long, low set neck, OTTB that she did a good job with, she also improved my riding greatly. I was riding training / prelim level eventing back then (training / 1st level dressage?)

She is a good teacher, I wouldn’t pass an opportunity to ride with her again.

ATR, I was thinking about applying too! I don't know though. I will definately audit. I'm not sure I want my lesson to be on display for the masses! However, that is the whole point, but I'm not sure I'll be up for it. Do you know what levels they will be doing? I might like to try my young horse, but my gelding is doing well right now. Hmmmm. Golden Spike in April. I haven't ridden in that indoor in forever. Mybe it is better lit than I remember.

I'm going to audit the one in Nebraska early next month. I considered applying to ride, but $$$. I'm really looking forward to it!

Camstock, can you report back, please!

4wdnstraight, I was talking to Heather Peterson the other day (Region 5 USDF pres.), and she was saying that they really want a representative selection of horses of all breeds (I can offer that...) and riders of all types. Not superhorses, not superriders, just representative adult amateurs. Which presumably means the focus is going to be on the lower/mid levels vs upper levels.

It's $250 for 2 days, which is a pretty good deal for 2 lessons with a clinician of her level. The USDF has all the paperwork on their site--it's a bit of a wade, as is everything on that site, but it's there.

What the heck, if we continue to work soundly and happily, I think I'll give it a go... Better get video before the weather craps out completely!

Just curious... Are these kinds of clinics geared toward auditors or the riders? Meaning, the clinicians focus on improving the riders and the auditors are simply happening to be there to watch and learn as much as they could; or the clinicians focus on the auditors, and use the riders as demonstrations of skills/techniques/problems that are of interest to auditors?

Both, Gloria. It says in the literature that the clinic is oriented both towards the auditors and towards improving the horse. The rider has to be prepared to do what is asked of them. (I guess this is code for weeding out the riders who have to have a philosophical discussion about why Pookums shouldn't do X every time the clinician asks them to do something.)

I take this as being that the trainer is miked up and is explaining to the audience why she is asking for what she is asking for, which I find incredibly valuable as an auditor, and would find helpful as a rider too.

Atr,

Thank you for the explanation. That sounds a lot of fun and that cost seems rather reasonable (actually heck more reasonable than I'd imagined). Do you plan to attend? I think when I feel brave enough, I might just jump the deep water and see whether my pony can carrry me onshore Being an off breed (Morgan, 14.2hand on good days), I'd imagine he offers some nice variety to a sea of glossy 18hand warmbloods

Gloria, mine is a very large, very loud black and white leopard Appaloosa. So yes, we too tend to provide a contrast!

(Actually, around here, there's quite a variety of breeds training and showing, which is really nice to see.)

I might well apply, and if I don't get in, I will certainly audit.

I am glad I found this thread. I applied in Region 8 and I was selected! I am looking forward to going next weekend.

I would say I am the average AA, am lucky to have a nice horse that knows more than me, ( he is schooled through 4th, I stared competing at 2nd this season) but is not easy an ride. He is a saint as far as behavior, but not asking correctly does not get results. I am hoping to be able to learn for myself and others auditing some good tips to improve what we are working on now with my own terrific trainer. I feel like I have many of the same riding qualities as my AA peers, good and bad!

I have had him for 2 years, did really well at 1st last season, and pretty good at 2nd this year.

Lilo Fore sounds like she will be fun to ride with, so I hope not to be nervous! I will let everyone know how it goes. Thanks.

Lilo is a great teacher - I've had the fortune to ride for her a number of times over the years - both at her place and when she gave clinics at a barn where I boarded.

I would definitely participate if given a chance.