The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Vasovagal Syncope, any other sufferers?

So for the last few months, I've been having horrid episodes of fainting, or almost fainting, on our commuter train. This happens if I have to stand on the morning commute and is awful! I make sure I eat before I go to work, so I knew it wan't low blood sugar, so off to the dr's I went. All blood work came back normal, except my blood pressure is extremely low. So next week, I'm scheduled to wear a Holter Monitor to see if anything is going on with the heart!

I did a tilt table test last Friday, and yuck....yep, I fainted! As of now, they are thinking that I am suffering with this vaso vagal syncope, so for now am recommending that I up my salt intake to try to get my BP up....I am sat at my desk drinking the first of my recommended bottles of Gatorade. They are also weaning me off my Topomax (for my migraine auras) as they think that may have something to do with them, as it is making me "zone out" and then I get an awful migraine.

So, I guess my question is, does anybody else here suffer from this and how did you up your salt? I HATE putting salt on my food!!......I need ideas.........
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

My doctor said that I have that, but in my case its related to near-fainting during medical/surgical procedures. Its AWFUL!

It won't solve it, but make sure you aren't locking your knees when standing. That will make many people faint.

Yep, I was diagnosed with Neurocardiogenic Syncope about 13 or 14 years ago. Mine has been pretty well controlled by medication for the last several years, but the medication was recently pulled from the market and management has become more difficult again in the last several months. In addition to typical triggers such as standing, I am also very susceptible to episodes due to visual triggers such as the lighting in large box stores and some airplanes.

I do not have that condition, but wanted to say that Gatorade causes me to have horrible migraines. Normally, I am the 2ish migraine a year sort of person, but if I drink any Gatorade I will start getting one within minutes. Anyway, I just wanted to mention it since you are a migraine sufferer and are starting to drink Gatorade.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

eclipse is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by RacetrackReject View Post
    I do not have that condition, but wanted to say that Gatorade causes me to have horrible migraines. Normally, I am the 2ish migraine a year sort of person, but if I drink any Gatorade I will start getting one within minutes. Anyway, I just wanted to mention it since you are a migraine sufferer and are starting to drink Gatorade.
    Thanks, but I've actually noticed my headaches get better when I drink the stuff! LOL I get a lot of migraines with the barometric pressure changes..sigh..the joys of living in Calgary, and I'm hoping we'll now be able to start sorting them out!?
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!