The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Religion..dun dun duunnn!

Straight to the point...what "religion" am I?!?!

I don't believe in one true God, I don't believe the Bible, I don't think any single belief system is better then the other.
    I do believe in science and the power of the human brain to explain lifes and mankinds existance.

I tell people I am an athiest, but really I am not a "full" athiest as I still celebrate things like Christmas, Easter, etc which I am pretty sure are religious holidays that athiesm is opposed to....but I don't say stuff like "this is the day that Jesus was born" I say "this is the day that Santa brings good children presents" which is just as much a story IMO as the Jesus line.

I used to attend church when I was a kid and even was a Calvinette for a few years.

When the father of my child passed away 3 yrs ago, I didn't placad her by saying "Daddies in heaven now" or anything like that, I explained there was an accident, Daddy died because he was hurt, and we have buried him in the ground. She asked where he was EXACTLY...and I said his body is in the ground, but his memories are still going in her heart and her mind, if she ever wants to hear his voice or remember his face, she just has to close her eyes and remember. This seems to be working for her, and it worked for myself.

I do believe in things like spirits, ghost, fate and karma...so that also contradicts Athiesm.
    But if my daughter were to be taught anything about God or other religions in school, the principle and myself would be having a few words.

Anyone else as confused as I am?!?! lol

I am not against religion...I went to a Christian wedding this weekend and although I didn't bow my head and pray when everyone else did, I also didn't make a spectacle by walking out...it's their wedding and their beliefs I knew this when I attended and respect their choice.

ugg I guess I am just trying to figure out what to say when someone ask me what religion I am...

Disclaimer: I am not doing this to start a religious debate, so please don't post anything that could start a fire, just looking for suggestions.
    if you havent fallen off a horse….then you havent been ridin long enough

I agree. I totally don't agree with religious wars and mankind's cruelties in the name of religious differences.

I believe in that magnificent tree growing over there and the awesomeness of nature and a respect for life and I could call it God, or Allah, or Budda, or just Tree.
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers

Default Maybe you are...

Agnostic.
    Or "spiritual but not religious".
    I can't think of anything more personal, or less anybody else's business. Quakerism worked for me for a while because each person is considered to be a possible minister, or conduit for the "light". However, it's basically Christian....

Just say that you are an Agnostic. Which it sounds as if you are. An agnostic neither believes nor disbelieves in the existence of God. You don't know because it can't be proven, yet you may be willing to accept the possibility if you can accept spirits and ghosts.

Does that sound reasonable?

Hugs to you for the loss of your husband and raising your daughter alone. Little children are curious so she will ask about her father often - it is just their way.

My guess is you have alot on your plate and are trying to find a way to deal with everything. Kudos to you!

Look at the people in your life and note the ones who tend to roll with the punches. Then talk to them to see what they do to keep an even keel. IMO that is a good start for you.

Good Luck
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Thanks! I think Agnostic is about right....
    if you havent fallen off a horse….then you havent been ridin long enough

Yes, you sound like a fellow spiritual Agnostic

But if a bible pusher gets after you to name a "real" religion, you can always throw out Pastafarianism.

It offers bells & whistles (and cool bumper stickers!) for mostly TIC spiritual agnostics, IMHO.

All power to the FSM!

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Why not just claim to be a Jedi? Go with the Force.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Count me in! Have you ever read Bertrand Russell's essay, "Why I Am Not a Christian?" Worth a read - my ex-husband showed it to me many years ago and it practically spelled out what I already thought.

http://users.drew.edu/~jlenz/whynot.html
    Erin
    Dodon Farm - Home of Salute The Truth, Thoroughbred Stallion and on Facebook
    The Retired Racehorse Training Project, a 501(c)3 Non profit organization.

Agnostic means religions are an interesting concept, but beyond what you may want to be involved with or much less take sides.

I call this being indifferent to the quest for validation or negation of what religions want us to take on faith, but recognizing the reality of people's beliefs and how those impact all our lives seriously.
    Indifferent to the question if there is/are gods out there, but acknowledging the impact of those that believe that to be so and that are trying to rule all of us thru those beliefs.

You may be a deist -- you share some of their philosophies.
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by jessiesgrrl View Post
    Thanks! I think Agnostic is about right....
    Yup. I consider myself an agnostic and share many of the beliefs that you expressed in your post.

I'm pretty much the same as the OP in my feelings as well. I came across a poem years ago that had a section that sums up my feelings.

I found my own religion within myself....

and I think my horse and cats are my religion as well. What matters most is what makes you happy. And if you're a good person, then that matters more than any formalized religion in this world. When I think of all the battles and lives lost due to religious beliefs, I'm glad I have found peace in myself.

I don't necessarily think celebrating religious holidays is counter to atheism... I am an atheist but celebrate Christmas, though the meaning behind it (to me) is different. For me it's more of a family and cultural holiday that I consider a solstice celebration.

It's not like there's an instruction manual for being an atheist or anything.

That said if I had to describe you I'd probably say agnostic
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

You and I have identical beliefs.

As for holidays, my family celebrates Christmas and Easter too, but on a secular level. We stick to Santa and the Easter Bunny. I think the Christian Christmas story is nice, but it is just that, a story. My husband was raised Jewish, so we throw a bit of that in there too.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

You could also consider looking into humanitarianism/humanism.
    Last edited by Blugal; Oct. 11, 2011 at 01:44 PM.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

I am not a big fan of labels but the one that probably comes closest would be agnostic for me as well. I consider myself to be anti-religious but extremely spiritual. I don't understand how Christ/Jesus could be a Christian; he followed himself? But I see God literally everywhere I go, the whole world is my church so to speak. Sort of like the democrat/republican thing, labels just divide us into groups. Ours is the only way sort of thing. Truly what is wrong with the world in my opinion. Drop the labels, live the golden rule, relish in the beauty that is life. There I just solved all the world's problems!

Go to beliefnet.com and take the test to figure out where you most closely fit in. I think I'm a Druid/Pagan/Universalist mix.

Quote Originally Posted by jessiesgrrl View Post
    Straight to the point...what "religion" am I?!?!

I don't believe in one true God, I don't believe the Bible, I don't think any single belief system is better then the other.
    I do believe in science and the power of the human brain to explain lifes and mankinds existance.

I tell people I am an athiest, but really I am not a "full" athiest as I still celebrate things like Christmas, Easter, etc which I am pretty sure are religious holidays that athiesm is opposed to....but I don't say stuff like "this is the day that Jesus was born" I say "this is the day that Santa brings good children presents" which is just as much a story IMO as the Jesus line.

I used to attend church when I was a kid and even was a Calvinette for a few years.

When the father of my child passed away 3 yrs ago, I didn't placad her by saying "Daddies in heaven now" or anything like that, I explained there was an accident, Daddy died because he was hurt, and we have buried him in the ground. She asked where he was EXACTLY...and I said his body is in the ground, but his memories are still going in her heart and her mind, if she ever wants to hear his voice or remember his face, she just has to close her eyes and remember. This seems to be working for her, and it worked for myself.

I do believe in things like spirits, ghost, fate and karma...so that also contradicts Athiesm.
    But if my daughter were to be taught anything about God or other religions in school, the principle and myself would be having a few words.

Anyone else as confused as I am?!?! lol

I am not against religion...I went to a Christian wedding this weekend and although I didn't bow my head and pray when everyone else did, I also didn't make a spectacle by walking out...it's their wedding and their beliefs I knew this when I attended and respect their choice.

ugg I guess I am just trying to figure out what to say when someone ask me what religion I am...

Disclaimer: I am not doing this to start a religious debate, so please don't post anything that could start a fire, just looking for suggestions.
    Why do you have to say anything at all? I think if you just say what you posted above they will be as confused as you and won't ask again.

As far as your children being taught " religion" in schools, I don't think you have to worry about that.

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Quote Originally Posted by candyappy View Post
    As far as your children being taught " religion" in schools, I don't think you have to worry about that.
    yep... and I have a bridge in Arizona to sell you too.

Bluntly taught? no. Subtlely taught, yep.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike