The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Default What's the catch?

Last month at a local festival, I filled out an entry form for a drawing. Grand prize is either a $70K car (several models to choose from) or $50K in cash. I got a call a few minutes ago that I'm a finalist for that drawing - to be held on Feb 1st.

The person who called is from a travel company -- sponsor of the festival. Told me that I have also won a 3-night Royal Carribean cruise for 2, plus round trip airfare to/from Florida as well as a $200 value mystery gift. I have to pick up the travel vouchers from their office and sit through a 1 hour "informational" session. Vouchers are good for a year and are transferrable. He did say that when I book the trip (at least 60 days notice) I will be responsible for the taxes.

So... what's the catch.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

I think you'll find the catch sometime during the 1 hr hard sales pitch.

You also have to pay taxes on the trip and the winnings.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Pony View Post
    You also have to pay taxes on the trip and the winnings.

Yes, he disclosed that on the phone and honestly, I don't think of that as much of a catch because that's pretty much par for the course when it comes to winning big prizes. Not wanted, but certainly not a surprise of any kind.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

Quote Originally Posted by tle View Post
    Yes, he disclosed that on the phone and honestly, I don't think of that as much of a catch because that's pretty much par for the course when it comes to winning big prizes. Not wanted, but certainly not a surprise of any kind.
    Not a bummer on a 50k prize because you just pay out of the winnings, but can be a real bummer on things like trips. They can sometimes be valued very high and a big shock come tax time. A friend "won" a cruise and ended up paying a big chunk on her taxes, it was not worth it for her, she could have spent less booking a trip for herself she would have enjoyed more.

Google "spirit incentives" and read everything about them...not sure it's worth the hassle if that is how they will be "giving" you the cruise or other promos.

The 'catch' is that REALLY hard sell. If you are not the sort of cold-steel type who can walk out of a very hard sales pitch, you do not want to go through it.

As mentioned, the taxes will be pretty steep.

My parents won a stay in a resort (in-country) with a place like that. It's a real heavy sell pitch, but they have no problem sitting through it. They enjoyed their free stay

I don't think they paid any taxes, hmm. I may be wrong, That was in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    The 'catch' is that REALLY hard sell. If you are not the sort of cold-steel type who can walk out of a very hard sales pitch, you do not want to go through it.
    Well, the way I figure is if I can own a farm for the last 15 months WITH a barn AND a fenced pasture and NOT come home with any of the multitude of really nice cheap horses that have crossed my path since I decided I would wait to own again.... then there's nothing they can tempt me with. Besides, before I go to this session, I'll be turning in my paperwork and financials to try to get the refi loan so I can buy more land. So it's not like I have the money to buy anything anyway (and will be leaving all but one debit card AT HOME that day just in case).

I do remember hearing about a scam a few years ago where it was something like if you didn't buy you wound up being responsible for paying for the trip, but IIRC that went out of business. I'm sorry, it was like 2-3 years ago and something I just came across while working but it didn't have any personal meaning to me so I don't remember any more details. I'd just say read the small print very carefully, and be very prepared to say no but then you'll probably be okay.

I'm pretty sure they're supposed to let you know the value ahead of time if you ask (so, say, $10k value) so you can decide if the taxes are worth it. I'd definitely ask about that.

Hmmm. I'm reading about Spirit Incentives now. Apparently their main deal (apart from strangely high taxes and upgrade fees - much higher than you'd pay if you just booked with the cruise company) is to delay and claim your dates aren't available, until the certificate expires. Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Coanteen View Post
    Hmmm. I'm reading about Spirit Incentives now. Apparently their main deal (apart from strangely high taxes and upgrade fees - much higher than you'd pay if you just booked with the cruise company) is to delay and claim your dates aren't available, until the certificate expires. Nice.
    Maybe we need to sic Occupy Wall Street on them

Quote Originally Posted by mildot View Post
    Maybe we need to sic Occupy Wall Street on them
    I think it's the companies who use them (the customers generally get these prices when they buy consumer goods at established companies; or even festivals like OP attended) who should be hearing the wrath of their customers. Spirit Incentives doesn't care about peoples' complaints - the people aren't their customers, those companies are.

There may not be more of a catch.
    A couple of years ago, some friends and I took advantage of an offer to spend a weekend at a hotel in the outer banks for something like $20 if we agreed to attend a sales session for their timeshare program. I was sent to the sales program (while they slept in- grrrr ) because they figured I would have no problem telling the person very early in the process that I was not buying anything and heading back to join them on the beach. My friends were correct
    I spent about 30 minutes at the sale thing and we had a great weekend at a super nice hotel/condo for $20. No catch. No idea if this is the case for you, I just wanted to throw out that sometimes these things are exactly what they seem
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)