The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Old Fracture you never knew of?

I was at the doctor's office Friday.
    I had a laundry list of stuff, nothing accute, just the stuff that's been nagging me for a while now...
    Fatigue, joint aches, 'nose crud' only part of the list.

Well, aside form a horrible sinus condition, the Xrays showed an old fracture in my back. The lady asked me what I did. I could not recall having had anything that would in retrospec qualify for a broken bone. I did fall off while riding a bit. But that was 20-30 years ago.
    Nothing that really hurt hurt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

Clue. Think back to the days when you were having passionate sex.
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Well, I walked around with a compression fracture of T4 for about 6 weeks before thinking "Hey, I shouldn't still be sore from that fall a month an a half ago" and going to the doctor. So yes, it is possible in horse people who think hurting is a natural part of being around horses!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Matson View Post

I'm pretty sure I've broken a few things and "got back on the horse" literally. And I'm pretty sure I could tell you which ones they were and how it happened.
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry

Riders, gymnasts, skaters, dancers--I know SO MANY people who do exactly the same thing! We all get so used to 'pain' being the default setting we can walk around with really stupid injuries that we should have had looked at. Heck, if I don't stop getting sore neck and upper back and occasional nerve pain down the arms (if that's not redundant...you know what I mean) I may ask to have a c-spine done to see if I hurt my neck in that accident a couple years ago (serious car accident) and there was tissue swelling that masked it at the time.

My trainer had her arm X-rayed after a fall. There was no break, but the doctor noted she had broken her arm three times. She corrected him and told him twice....nope, it was three times, she just did not recall the third time she broke her arm.

I've walked, well sort of walked, on a sprained ankle for most of this year. In August I found out it was sprained a lot worse than anyone thought, and the bone had been broke. Didn't show up on the first set of x-rays. Oops.

I'm pretty sure I have at least cracked a couple bones before too. One I passed on the x-rays since I didn't want the beer can cast that would result if the doc knew it was broken, as opposed to just suspecting that it was broke/cracked.

I think my mother broke her neck or back falling off a horse and never knew it until way after as well.

A few years ago, I'd been having back spasms, so they did an Xray. *voila* Compression fracture of T12.

It was from a fall ~10 years before. I do remember it -- I hurt like hell for about a month. But nothing that ibuprofen and walking/bending/moving very carefully couldn't remedy.

Yes. An MRI in 2003 (from being thrown) showed a shadow (hairline fracture?) in my left femur neck from being thrown from a horse in 1999.

Went to Dr. at the time, but never got x-rays. I figured if I could bear weight on it, it couldn't be all that bad.
    Oopsies.

I just found out (after DH FORCED me to go to the Dr for an x-ray of my HIP) that I have a hip socket that isn't formed right and is impinging... to quote the dr., "In 15 years of looking at x-rays, i've never seen a hip that looks like THAT before..." Um thanks Doc...so at 36, now i am facing the possibility of hip surgery....um NOT cool. Thanks DH for forcing me to go. I'd rather not know and deal with the aching and occasional shooting hip pain.... No WONDER I can't ride in a dressage saddle! It's too wide for my bum hip!

Quite a few years ago I had Xrays for something - can't remember what. They showed 3 healed broken ribs and an old fracture in a lower vertebrae. I remember when I must have broken the ribs (never went to the dr. though) and I THINK I know when I must have done the vertebrae. I also broke my foot one time, but thought if I didn't have a cast on it I could still ride. Bad idea. And when I was 9ish I broke my arm off of a green pony, but being that kind of a kid, I got back on - couldn't let that pony think he'd gotten away with something. We do kinda push on through.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    We do kinda push on through.

Been there, done that...fell off my mare this past February, and was in a lot of pain so I ended up doing x-rays and an mri...turns out I had aggravated an old pelvic fracture. To this day, no CLUE how or when I originally did it...I'm suspecting a prior fall or a car accident I was in.

Yep, too weird. I just determined I must have been much more hardcore back then...

Yep. Several years ago, I had x-rays of an avulsion fracture in my ankle....which revealed a healed fracture in my foot. I have NO IDEA when or how I managed to break my foot and never know. My only possible explanation is that I did have a very bad sprain when I was in second or third grade and perhaps it was so swollen when they x-rayed it that they missed the fracture, which healed along with the sprain. If it wasn't then, I really have no clue. You'd think a broken foot would hurt...

LOL, we are much more fragile than we thought....

I can think of a couple of higher impact incidences...but only one fall had me hurting for longer than a day...and even that was not really pain, I just could not sit the trot without wheezing.
    That was nearly 30 years ago!

Last time I came off was 20 years.....(no, I am not that good a rider...I have not been on in a very long time)

the mystery....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Matson View Post
    Ha! My mom once told me how she went to the doctor with chest pain when she was a teen about a month after she broke up with her boyfriend on the football team. X-rays showed two fractured ribs and she had no idea how she got them. The doctor asked if anyone had hugged her especially hard lately!

When I was 10 I was chucked over a jump by a nasty stopper and mom took me to the ER to make sure all was ok. I was wearing a helmet and always did. They took x-rays and did not find anything at the ER but said the radiologist would take a look at them in the a.m. and call if there was anything unusual (they always said this with x-rays and still do I believe). Mom did not think she would get a call in the a.m. but she did. She was told to bring me back to the hospital for a follow up with the radiologist that morning. We went in and he had found an old skull fracure that runs from just behind my right ear up about 3 inches towards the top of my head. It was healed and healed well but no one in the family can remember where or when it might of happened. I don't remember ever having any falls or headaches from it. Been almost 40 years now and no one ever has come up with an explanation.