The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Harvest Moon

What a beautiful silvery night.

I can never believe that some people who live out here don't even know about harvest moons, they never go outside late enough for the full effect, they live back in the woods and can't realize the moonlight effect, and I plead with them to come walk the field hilltops with me at 11 p.m. and even that is not important enough to them.

So it's me, and the horses, at peace out in the pastures tonight.
    About the only time losing is more fun than winning is when you're fighting temptation.
    -- Tom Wilson, actor & comedian

Where's the Like button? One of my favorite times of year when I was growing up. Now I'm old & SoCal just isn't the same as Ohio.

Every night my cat and I sit outside after doing the last late night horse check and look at the moon. It's a quiet, spiritual thing.

Yup, just me and the cat.....

With our rattlers, you don't just go walking out there where you can't see where you are stepping.

It is beautiful, I agree.
    I keep an overhead light on for the horses, but not now, the moon is plenty of light to see them.

When we are not in a drought and there is water in the playa lake, the silver moon reflection is beautiful.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

I just came in from my 11PM feed and bed check, and I agree, the walk in the quiet in the moonlight with all the stars is my cup of tea.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

I love doing the chores after dark during the Harvest Moon. It is gorgeous, peaceful... and so bright you'd have no trouble spotting those rattlers, if we had them.

The downside? It's so bright that it's hard to sleep!
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Ahhh, glad some others noticed ... It's overcast where I am, so you can't see the moon but it's effect behind the clouds is surreal. Everything is awash in silver and so bright! Lovely, lovely night...glad we all got to share it.

My favorite time of the year for being outside, sitting on the back porch and watching the deer browsing around the edges of the woods.

Woke up a little while ago as it was setting through striated clouds. Had to just lie in bed and watch it disappear behind the mountain.

The moon's also beautiful when it's in it's early first and late last quarters. But that's through a telescope, when the angled light brings out the surface features. Pretty impressive through a set of binoculars too.

The next full moon will be the Hunter's Moon, which will traverse even higher in the sky.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

I thought the September full moon was the harvest moon? Or maybe it depends on the dates. Anyway, gorgeousness all around and I'll take two of them, no matter what you call them!

My old mare Gwennie was laid to rest two years ago just as the full harvest moon rose over the treetops. Now I get to think of her whenever the moon is full.
    Click here before you buy.

I've been enjoying it too - I don't even need to flip the porch light on to see the possum eating the cat food on the front porch.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

JSwan: you kill me!

Last night when I did bedcheck around 9P the moon was so bright I thought I'd forgotten to turn off the nightlight I keep on so I don't mistakenly pet a skunk or possum thinking it's the barncat...

Tangerine
    Yup, just me & Official Barncat in my lap & Barncat Wannabe sneaking some food from OB's dish < she is black so usually I can't see her, but hear the crunching.
    Last night the moonlight picked her up as she snuck past us.

I <3 this time of year
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

ahhhh .... it's wonderful!

People in town with street lights don't know what they're missing!

Quote Originally Posted by babecakes View Post
    ahhhh .... it's wonderful!

People in town with street lights don't know what they're missing!

When I had my housewarming here 7 years ago, one of my coworkers just HAD to make sure he was out of here before sundown... because there were ... hang on, this is scary! ...

there are NO STREETLIGHTS

About a month ago I was finishing up my ride at the barn and saw a beautiful sunset. Drove down the farm drive about 15 minutes later and saw the most amazing moon rise. I looked to the west and the sun hadn't yet completely set.

I thought that was special, to be able to see the sun set and a moon rise at the same time.

I love it too, get to stand up on the second floor porch and enjoy the moon and stars, or when they're out, the fireflies... the only thing better is riding by moonlight, which I've missed out on so far this year. Have to try to get at least one of those rides in this fall.

Quote Originally Posted by JeanM View Post

When I had my housewarming here 7 years ago, one of my coworkers just HAD to make sure he was out of here before sundown... because there were ... hang on, this is scary! ...

there are NO STREETLIGHTS

The moon was gorgeous and orangey and awesome this evening here.

My step-mother was pretty horrified that I didn't want huge dusk til dawn floodlights everywhere at our place. We've got floodlights on the corners of the house, but I can turn them off or on with a switch. When/if we get electricity to the barn, I would like floodlights - but again, I want a switch.

I love to float in the pool in the summer late at night and watch the stars. And see the milky way. And sit on the porch or in the yard and see the stars and looking for shooting stars.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

We are lucky enough to live at the edge of the outback, yet only a half hour outside of Portland. Within minutes, we can go from city lights to the moon and stars -- truly the best of both worlds.

As I read everyone's posts, I was hearing Neil Young singing Harvest Moon.
    They're not miniatures, they're concentrates.

Born tongue-in-cheek and foot-in-mouth

Was still wonderful silver light out there this morning at 5, pottying the dog.
    Heard a shot, someone hunting, in the now harvested corn fields, deer or wild pigs.
    A bit too chilly for rattlers, but you can never say never around here, it pays to watch anyway.

The shadows under the porch and then the shiny light outside made for wonderful contrast.
    The old gray horse, laying down in his sand pile in front of the house, by the yard fence, the moon shining on him, looked so peaceful.

it's been too cloudy here for much good moon viewing, i'll have to wait for a full winter moon.
    in my backyard on a clear night the trees make shadows on the snow in the moonlight.
    in fact i have my bed positioned in the corner between two windows so i can see the moon rise at night and sunrise in the morning.
    it's my personal fung shway!

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirljenn View Post
    ...And sit on the porch or in the yard and see the stars and looking for shooting stars.
    Here ya go! Grab a reclining lawn chair, a blanket, and enjoy the show.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams