The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anybody else keep kosher?

I seem to be the "weird one" in the horsey world because we keep kosher. I find I am constantly explaining the reasoning behind it. For the most part, people are very accepting...

I don't but I know many people that do both in the horse as well as non-horse groups.

Do you keep Kosher everywhere, or just at home?
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

We are strict everywhere we go and it is pretty unusual around here to find this in the horse world. I just happen to live in a community that many people do keep kosher but none are horse people.

I would hope people are accepting. We have some orthodox friends who keep very kosher, so when they come over I just buy some kosher snacks and serve them on new paper plates since they cannot eat off our dishes. We all still have a great time, it's the people that count.

Unfortunately, I cannot find a decent kosher wine. My Jewish friends keep telling me there have been great improvements in this area but I am obviously buying the wrong ones. Can you recommend anything?

I try to.

i just realized in reading these posts that I know very little about keeping kosher... now off to google- thanks for the inspiration to learn more
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

A great wine website is onlinekosherwine.com. Inexpensive and good stuff. You could also try asking your wine store to order some if you will buy more than just one I would assume.

Once people get over the initial "what is kosher?" question they tend to be very interested and accommodating. You are so right fordtracktor, it is the people that count!