The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Shooters...

Are there any other shooters (firearms) here on COTH besides me? lol

DH is buying me a Springfield 1911 subcompact for my birthday this year I get together with two other women and go shooting on Thursday nights since it's "Ladies Night" at the indoor range, and the three of us will be shooting competitively next year.
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

ME!!!! There's three of us at the barn that are scheduled to go skeet shooting for my b'day, and we are also taking our concealed carry course next month. I love my guns!

Count me in, although because of my arthritis, it's pretty much limited to rimfire now. The big stuff causes too much pain in the wrist and shoulders the next few days. Because of this, I reluctantly sold off most of my guns a couple of years ago. However, thanks to our new president and his cronies, I was pleasantly surprised at how much many of them went for. Oh, that my IRA had appreciated that much!

It's a relaxing way to spend a few hours, either alone or with friends.

The 1911 is an amazing design. It and its derivations will probably be around for at least another century.

BTW, ever watch Sons Of Guns? Those guys are nuts!
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

I love to shoot! Have a .3030 lever action rifle at home that's mine that I LOVE!! Also a friend left his .22 rifle with 10 round clip at my house so I get to shoot that. I also own a .17 air rifle - great for shooting rats! Same friend is also storing his .306 at my house, but it's too much gun for me. Same when hubby was there and had his .12ga shotgun. I shot it once... and promptly gave it back. I was, however, pleasantly surprised how nice his .45 handgun was to shoot. Part of the fun of having acreage (which hopefully in the next couple months will actually be MINE) is being able to go out and shoot at targets whenever I want.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

I don't know anything about guns, and frankly I don't want to. But as already mentioned on the FB thread, my husband is LE and is begging me to learn. I know I need to at least learn the basics as there are always guns around the house (and they are always loaded unless friends or children are over). Can someone convince me that I would enjoy this? I'm a chicken when it comes to new activities

Quote Originally Posted by Frank B View Post
    BTW, ever watch Sons Of Guns? Those guys are nuts!
    LOVE that show!! I stayed up way too late last week watching them make that .12 ga gatling gun.

Quote Originally Posted by tle View Post
    ...Have a .3030 lever action rifle...
    I sold a John Wayne commemorative, in the box and unfired, a couple of years back. Holy <bleep>, did it bring a good price!
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

I do when I'm at home. My own gun is a Smith and Wesson .357 revolver, which I love. Then my partner and I have two lever action rifles (.3030 and .357), a .38, and a .45. He has his own .357 as well but it's too big for my delicate little hands. I mean, I can shoot it but the grips are so large that it's hard to get my hands around them!

We have a shooting range in the desert behind our place which I try to get to at least twice a week (though that rarely happens). I also have some crazy militia friends who I join occasionally...it's always interesting, especially because we're at pretty much opposite ends of the political spectrum, but a really good time!

edit: MtyMx, shooting is extremely fun. I don't know why you don't find the idea appealing, but if it's out of the idea that guns are just for killing, then don't let that bother you. I mean, it's true, there really isn't another use for them in a general sense, but target shooting is fun and relaxing for most people. Give it a try at least, I didn't think I'd like it either but my partner was into them so I gave it a shot (har har) and...well, you see my post.

I have a Ruger SP101 .357 and I enjoy a little recreational plinking—I'd love to take lessons, practice more, and try competitive shooting but it's not in the budget right now. I hope to add a 9 mil. semi-auto one of these days—mostly because I'd like to save a little money on the cost of ammunition! .38 special rounds are a little cheaper than .357 magnum but it still adds up.

I do some shooting from muleback, which is fun—I'd do more, except that Fen hates his earplugs and I won't let him try without them. The shooting itself doesn't phase him.
    My ears hear a symphony of two mules, trains, and rain. The best is always yet to come, that's what they explained to me. —Bob Dylan

Fenway Bartholomule ♥ Arrietty G. Teaspoon Brays Of Our Lives

I shoot 10m air pistol. There's a competition in a month, so I need to get practicing.

It's not exactly the burliest weapon, and I'm not exactly going to hurt anyone, but I do like the challenge of precision shooting.

I think tactical pistol looks interesting, may check that out someday.

I've got a Glock M22. I used to go to the range a couple times a month, but I haven't been lately.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by MtyMax View Post
    I don't know anything about guns, and frankly I don't want to. But as already mentioned on the FB thread, my husband is LE and is begging me to learn. I know I need to at least learn the basics as there are always guns around the house (and they are always loaded unless friends or children are over). Can someone convince me that I would enjoy this? I'm a chicken when it comes to new activities
    I thought it was a terrible idea when my brother first invited me and Mr. Didgery to go along, but I went anyway because I didn't want my husband to shoot himself in the foot by accident! Turns out we both loved it. I am a liberal vegetarian so definitely outside of the NRA demographic, but I like the skill-building aspect of target shooting. We are anal about gun safety, since we have small children, and everyone in the house has had a strict safety lecture. We've store everything unloaded, trigger-locked, and locked away safely with ammo. locked in a separate safe.

I'd encourage you to try it, if only for your own safety (in case you ever find yourself holding a loaded gun . . . you'll want to know what to do with it).
    My ears hear a symphony of two mules, trains, and rain. The best is always yet to come, that's what they explained to me. —Bob Dylan

Fenway Bartholomule ♥ Arrietty G. Teaspoon Brays Of Our Lives

I have a Taurus 709 Slim 9mm that I love and I also have a Concealed Carry Permit-- I got robbed at gunpoint this spring, and now go nowhere unarmed-- the next worthless scumbag that puts a gun in my face is gonna get one pointed right back at him, and the trigger will be pulled.
    The only difference between a runaway and a fast gallop is nothing but a SMILE
    Most horses cross the Rainbow Bridge, but TEDDY JUMPED IT!!!
    Member of the COTH Enabler Clique

Quote Originally Posted by MtyMax View Post
    I learned to shoot for the first time earlier this summer by a friend of mine who's a cop. Went to the indoor shooting range with him and had a blast. From a purely sport/skill perspective it was pretty darn fun actually. The main thing I learned is...the gun does not go off unless you press the trigger. They really don't just go off randomly. You're in control of it It's definitely good to have a healthy respect for firearms, but tempered by reason and caution.

My friend is a very conservative guy, and in many ways I define dirty stinkin' hippy liberal It's definitely one of the coolest things I learned this year. I'd strongly consider getting into it as a sport if I had more time/money for another expensive hobby. I would like to do it again for sure.

Give it a shot - you might be surprised.

Another shooter checking in! (A liberal commie pinko gun enthusiast, at that! )

It's been a few months since I've gone to the range, but I love shooting and used to go regularly on Monday nights (no range fees for us ladies!). My home arsenal is a little small, but I'm slowly building it. I was looking to buy an Yugo-made AK-47 and an S&W AR-15 this year (semi-auto, of course), but my pending transfer to California has put the brakes on that for now. If I do transfer, I'll probably look into "California legal" varieties (usually with the "bullet button" magazine release). I love the rugged durability of the AK mockups, but the firing action on the AR-15 is just fabulous too. Hardly any recoil, very accurate. <3

Until then, it's probably for the best that I'm holding off on making those purchases... after all, I have enough expensive hobbies already (riding, scuba, photography... oh my!)

Going to Vegas? This could be fun!
    John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Frank B View Post
    Going to Vegas? This could be fun!
    That's what some of my coworkers in L.A. do. They drive over to Vegas to get their shooting fix.

Me me me! My collection is taking on a life of it's own.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Rudyard Kipling once observed that "you can never have too many books, too much ammunition, or too much red wine."

Nor can you have too many guns.

We do some mounted shooting and it's a hoot. There is only one type of weapon used at CMSA or SASS, the .45LC revolver (whether a Colt design, like the Single Action Army; or a Ruger design like the Vaquero/New Model Vaquero; or a reproduction Schofield; or any other .45LC single action weapon). This "standardization" permits the shoot sponsor to provide all the ammunition and grossly reduces the risks of a mishap.

At the recently concluded National Cavalry Competition my wife and I served as "joint armorers" for the Combat Horsemanship event. This event permits the use of either a .45LC or a black powder weapon. We had to inspect and verify compliance with the rules for both types of weapons.

For real world trouble or fun we a variety of responses (M1911, M1A Scout Squad rifle, 12ga. shotgun, and other appropriate tools).

I also have a farm and we have a "shooting area" with a nice mountain for backstop.

I always like the opening lines from the History Channel's "Tales of the Gun." Firearm ownership and use carries with it moral responsibility. As long as shooters keep that in mind they will fare pretty well.

G.

Love to shoot! Particularly interested in
    military history and associated firearms. I am not a hunter, love to eat meat but hate to kill it myself.