The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default washer died . . .

and us with lots of laundry every week. On a tight budget to boot. Suggestions for brands that will hold up? We've got a good appliance store in San Diego that sells refurbished as well as new with good prices.

Quote Originally Posted by suze View Post
    and us with lots of laundry every week. On a tight budget to boot. Suggestions for brands that will hold up? We've got a good appliance store in San Diego that sells refurbished as well as new with good prices.
    Get a refurbished Maytag from a reputable repairman. Make sure it has the old style rotary timer, not the newer electronic ones.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

I'll look for one of those, thanks.

No suggestions, buy my hot water heater died, so I know how you're feeling... ugh... the earliest I'll have it will be by Wed... or Thursday... fun times...
    http://www.leakycreek.com/
    http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
    John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
    Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma

Dryer just died. DH is going out of town, and I don't have time for the laundry mat (nursing school clinical start tomorrow).

With a washer, it may be worth fixing. I've done that and it beat buying a replacement in cost as well as the hassle factor. As for buying a used one, there are some good deals used on CL. Like everything else, you need to shop around. I happen to like Kenmores alot. They seem to last and are simple to repair.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Smile

Check in with your local appliance store, ask if they are selling any floor models.

Sears had the microwave I wanted at a price I couldn't afford ($400). Asked the sales associate if they had any floor models for sale. She, being a college kid didnt know, but called the floor manager. Floor Manager was very nice also (I say this because our local Sears doesn't have a 'friendly' reputation). Told me that they were going to be changing out a few models in the next month and to check back in 2 weeks. Stopped in 2 weeks later and 6 floor models were marked for sale at 50% off, including the one I wanted. Still not in my budget range. So I ask the sales Kid (another college kid) if/when they mark prices down again.. Kid checks date on the back of the tag and tells us that it will be marked down again in 2 days. I ask if I can get that price 2 day's early. Kid calls store manager on duty (not the same one from before).. who agree's to sale.
    Original price $400 plus tax.. our price $119 plus tax. Interestingly enough when I checked the manuafactures plate on the back, the micro was made April 2010.. and we were buying in September.. Micro was only 6 months old

Moral of the story -- check for 'floor model' sales and ask about pricing..if the market is slow - you can get a great deal.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Sears Kenmore (used to be Maytag under Sears label).

My set lasted 30 years with one repair to the washer after 20+.

It was still repairable after the 2nd breakdown - a belt - but Sears repair guy told me to check sales before spending the money to fix the old one.
    He was right, I got a new HD model on sale for a little more than 2X what the repair would have cost.

BTW:
    Sears subcontracts appliance repairs and for a $50 service call you can find out if your old machine is worth fixing.
    If you go with the repair that $50 comes off the price.

My 2nd Kenmore washer is now over 10 and doing great.
    Even with the annual abuse of washing turnouts.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

We just lost our front loader Kenmore. It was 10 years old and the repair man said it would take $500 to 600 to fix it. We opt not to...that is insane. He said that front loaders typically do not last as long as the older top loader models so I just thought I'd mention that.

We are lucky to have an older top loader in our barn that came with the farm when we bought it in 2005. It is working fine so now I'm carrying my laundry to the barn to wash until we get it moved.

BTW, Sears estimate here to just show up and look at my washer was $129. A local guy in the phone book charged me $85 and he monkeyed with it a bit. Shop around for repair folks.

Good ole' GE Heavy Duty top loader. First one we had, we bought used as newlyweds.... that sucker lasted 12 more years. Then bought another GE Heavy Duty new. Going strong!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

According to every appliance repairman I've ever had out...Whirlpool or Kenmore.

My old Whirlpool washer lasted for 20 years, refrigerator for 18. I stupidly bought GE for washer and dryer and Frigidaire for the kitchen. The washer broke the day after the warranty was up...it was the motor. The kind repairman backdated the warranty and covered it. We now have a whole house warranty company...they're out every couple of months.

The refrigerator is the worst. Company replaced it once, replaced the ice maker 8 times. Finally they refunded our money. It's in the garage holding soda and beer.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I bought a speed queen heavy duty washer in 1985. It's still going strong.

Our Maytag was a complete lemon...lasted five years, and right after the warranty was up, started having issues. DSO stripped it right down to the transmission to fix it, and was disgusted to see that even with a whackload of (expensive) parts, it was probably not going to work. We had bought it because of Maytag`s reputation....riiight.
    Our new one is a Samsung front-loader....and it has a HUGE capacity! Gets the laundry nice and clean, has a bazillion different settings....I can wash a queen sized comforter in it! Uses minimal water too!
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

I bought a speed queen heavy duty washer in 1985. It's still going strong.
    They don't seem to make 'em like that anymore! It was the washer repairmen who suggested replacing it. I guess he told my hubby Kenmore or Whirlpool, so that's what we'll look for. Floor model is a good idea - I didn't even think of that! Thanks for all the suggestions!