The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Post Calling all Hunter riders and owners, would you be willing to take my poll?

"Which hunter stallions' offspring would you Like to own?"

For those of you on Facebook here is a link on my wall.

For those of you without Facebook, here is a link on our website.
    Ryu Equestrian & Facebook Page
    Sakura Hill Farm & Facebook Page
    Boarding, Training, Consignment Sales & Breeding
    Osteen & Gainesville, Florida.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Well, if I could have another one, I'd take another Escudo baby. But he isn't one of your choices.

Of the stallions you list, I'd choose Westporte, primarily because a friend has one that I really like at the moment. Unfortunately I don't have the facilities to buy a real baby though (this one is a weanling) ... but he's really nice.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Thank you for answering LucassB.

I figured that 4 answers were enough before becoming overwhelming, but yes, please feel free to add your own choices under the "Other" answer.

May I ask specifically what you like about Escudo and his offspring? We are thinking of using him with one of our Hunter mares in future as a refining stallion. Can you offer any insight?

Quote Originally Posted by MCarverS View Post
    Thank you for answering LucassB.

I figured that 4 answers were enough before becoming overwhelming, but yes, please feel free to add your own choices under the "Other" answer.

May I ask specifically what you like about Escudo and his offspring? We are thinking of using him with one of our Hunter mares in future as a refining stallion. Can you offer any insight?
    Hmmm. Well, it's perhaps not as scientific an answer as you would like it to be but mostly I say that because I have liked all the Escudo young stock I have had the opportunity to evaluate. I like the "type" he seems to produce - substantial but refined, good movers who all seem to have good instincts at the jumps - slow off the ground, pretty in the air, etc. And they seem to have good temperaments, too.

The ones I know are all sensible, forward-but-not-hot types, and very amateur friendly. Obviously a lot would depend on the mare in question and I would not use Escudo if I was worried about needing to add size, as they don't tend to be particularly tall, but overall they just seem to consistently turn out to be nice hunters.

That said, as I mentioned... I really like my friend's Westporte foal, and he also already shows a real in your pocket, brave/curious personality and is pretty darn correct. If I had anywhere reasonable to park him til he grew up for a few years, I'd buy him in a heartbeat. Alas, where I live the cost of board would turn him into a $50K three year old before I could even think about starting him. boo hiss
    -PaulaEdwina

Thank you for the invaluable insight LucassB and coming from Westchester County NY, I completely understand your woes about young horse boarding. Actually, that is what prompted us to offer a young horse incentive program to provide clients with an economical way to raise their youngsters.

The mare we were thinking of breeding Escudo I to is quite substantial and is quite tall (16.3h and seems to throw decent height as well, so no height worry there. ) From what you mentioned, he sounds like just the ticket for her!

Thanks again for taking the time to respond and vote!

Thank you for the invaluable insight LucassB and coming from Westchester County NY, I completely understand your woes about young horse boarding. Actually, that is what prompted us to offer a young horse incentive program to provide clients with an economical way to raise their youngsters.

The mare we were thinking of breeding Escudo I to is quite substantial and is quite tall (16.3h and seems to throw decent height as well, so no height worry there. ) From what you mentioned, he sounds like just the ticket for her!

Thanks again for taking the time to respond and vote!
    Oh, you are more than welcome! I think your young horse program is a super idea.

Best of luck with the breeding and let me know how it turns out
    -PaulaEdwina

It was mentioned in a COTH article that Escudo is a favorite of Scott Stewart's, and that's a good enough recommendation for me. Everything SS has wins.

A man I know locally has a westporte baby who is just stunning and cleaning up wherever he goes. He likes this baby so much, he got himself another westporte baby! So for that, Id have to go with westporte. Although, Im a sucker for chrome and have yet to meet an Escapade baby I dont like.
    "to each his own..."

just a horse obsessed girl who finds blogging way more fun than being an adult...
    http://equinerainman274.wordpress.com/