The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cake pops

Has anyone successfully made them? I had such a major fail with my first try that I think I should retire and accept that this may not be my forte.

Sigh. I hate to be a quitter though -- I had everything from melting/coating chocolate too thick to disintegrating cake pops as they lept off the sticks.

I also learned that if you die your melting candy blue, so too will be your teeth. Not A Good Idea.

So, has anyone got any success tips, or should I stay retired?
    *Proud member of the Hoof Fetish Clique*
    I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
    Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap

When I make them, I don't use the mold. I make a chocolate cake, bake it, then cool it and crumble it in a bowl with a tub of chocolate frosting. Mix well and roll into small balls. Freeze on cookie sheet for 6 hours, or overnight. Then dip in melted chocolate. Try the Wilton candy wafer. Or jsut drizzle with melted chocolate, or roll in sprinkles or nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Saddle View Post
    Perhaps I need my flocking adjusted.

I make Oreo balls-- 1 package Oreos and package cream cheese. Just make sure you chill them for a while before you dip them. Everyone goes crazy for them!

My cake balls didn't turn out when I made them. They were way too gritty.

Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    When I make them, I don't use the mold. I make a chocolate cake, bake it, then cool it and crumble it in a bowl with a tub of chocolate frosting. Mix well and roll into small balls. Freeze on cookie sheet for 6 hours, or overnight. Then dip in melted chocolate. Try the Wilton candy wafer. Or jsut drizzle with melted chocolate, or roll in sprinkles or nuts
    Never made them but, as someone who loves to bake, this would be my suggestions as well. I have made oreo balls before.. hubby LOVES them. Freezing anything you plan to dip in melted chocolate is always a good idea in my book. I do think you may want to make them, put the sticks on them, and then freeze them. I can't imagine trying to put a frozen cake ball on a stick lol.

I do it the same way rustbreeches does. I use molding chocolates that come in all sorts of colors so I don't have to worry about dying. My only bit of advice is to use a little more frosting than you think you need - otherwise you get crumbly chucks instead of balls. Don't be afraid to add more if they start to go that route.
    If the pony spits venom in your face or produces a loud roar, it is probably not a pony. Find another. -The Oatmeal

I make Cake Pops (in various shapes) all the time. The trick for the dye is to use powdered dye - not Wilton cake dye (gag) or food coloring
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

This is making me hungry!
    Foaling Around www.facebook.com/foalingaround
    Custom Equestrian Items and Bath Products