The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Media bias in NYC carriage controversy?

I just read this info on Carriage Horse Facts

The Society of Professional Journalists' Ethics Committee reports on the conflict of interest entanglements of a certain anti-carriage-horse news anchor:

"An anchor at a major network twice reports on a battle to remove horse-drawn carriages from New York City and interviews only sources advocating for removing the horses. Despite evidence that accidents involving horses are few, no one who can defend the system appears on camera. The anchor later appears as the keynote speaker at a fundraiser for the carriage protestors and donates money to the cause. She has yet to reveal her connection to the group."

The journalist isn't named, but I thnk she should be named. I posted this on COTH with the hope that someone posting here saw these "reports" by this particular major network anchor- probably at a NYC station or other station up north - and can furnish a link to the aired reports and/ or the name of the journalist and station.

The only way to stop bias in "news" reporting tis to "call" the journalist and media outlet on it when it happens. I would love to get this information so I can express my outrage at shoddy reportting to the major network who employs this "journalist."

Remember, horse owners make up only about 1% of the total US population. We must unite. We must address an attack on any law abiding horse owners as an attack on us all, even if their "discipline" is different from our own.

Jean Velez-Mitchell. http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bes...rriage.ban.hln

Jane Velez-Mitchell did a story for HLN on her "Issues" show on Wednesday (7/27) evening about a carriage accident in NYC and the renewed calls by State Senator Tony Avella and the Coalition to Ban Horse-Drawn Carriages to ban the industry. http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bes...rriage.ban.hln The CBHDC is a 501c4 political activity group.

What JVM did NOT reveal is that she herself is a MAJOR supporter of the CBHDC, and in fact was the keynote address at a fundraiser last October for the group.

http://archive.constantcontact.com/f...756154090.html

Also, note in this Newsletter from the Coalition to Ban Horse Drawn Carriages that CBHDC (and by extension, I guess, JVM) is electioneering for Tony Avella. 501c4's ARE NOT ALLOWED to do that. It's one thing for a 501c4 to support a bill or other piece of legislation - it's another thing to support a CANDIDATE.

Leaving aside the many factual errors and extremely misleading statements / misleading use of video in this segment, this must run afoul of various ethics codes and procedures for handling political groups (501c4s). The segment showing the web address for the CBHDC, www.banhdc.org across the entire screen amounts to free advertising.

Much of the video in the segment is not from the accident in question OR EVEN NEW YORK CITY (there's footage from Philadelphia and goodness knows where eles).

A headline of "CARRIAGE CRUELTY" without even a question mark at the end certainly constitutes libel as cruelty DOES have a LEGAL definition - and no one in the NYC carriage industry has been cited for cruelty. That's not a matter of opinion.

Thanks. I followed the link and left a long complaint about MS. Velez-Mitchell's "piece" being sooo biased on the feedback tab provided there. I suggest that others do the same. You can access the comment window by clicking on the "feedback" tab at the upper right of the video window.

I think the carriage owners' organization needs to keep demanding equal time and also needs to take issue with the headline "Carriage Cruelty" that is displayed across the video as well.

Horse owners need to take issue with and made their opinions known whenever there are "stories" aired that claim "cruelty" when there is none. It is obvious that the anti carriage horse and indeed, the anti-horse forces are not going to go away.

Bottom line: Horse owners are citizens and tax payers, and we need our right to own and use horses protected. We need to speak up when our right to own horses and use horses is challenged. We should not sit back and expect others to do this for us.

1 members found this post helpful.

Default Safety for Carriage Horses: Good for Everyone

I don't understand how protecting the carriage horses in NYC could be detrimental to the rights of private horse owners. As a journalist, I must add that I am under no obligation to report the views of the opposition when those views are off-center, biased, loony, repugnant, unpopular, or otherwise detrimental to the telling of a story, which in this case is about a cab horse in an accident. I do find it sad that news agencies can't find more accurate representations of horses at work, but this is mostly because of a deficit of this kind of information in general. I am very fond of the scenario of horses at work. But not in New York City, where the sanitation for horses is abysmal and the working conditions abusive. I live in Philly, where the carriage horses spend a lot of time lounging around Benjamin Franklin Park. In New York they get awfully, awfully hot waiting in the sun near the Plaza Hotel. It seems to be the view of all enlightened New Yorkers that the carriage horse industry has to be shut down. The reason it hasn't been—yet—might surprise you: there seem to be a number of shady characters who drive the carriages, and they wish to be immune to public scrutiny of any sort.

Quote Originally Posted by seckhoff View Post
    I don't understand how protecting the carriage horses in NYC could be detrimental to the rights of private horse owners. As a journalist, I must add that I am under no obligation to report the views of the opposition when those views are off-center, biased, loony, repugnant, unpopular, or otherwise detrimental to the telling of a story, which in this case is about a cab horse in an accident. I do find it sad that news agencies can't find more accurate representations of horses at work, but this is mostly because of a deficit of this kind of information in general. I am very fond of the scenario of horses at work. But not in New York City, where the sanitation for horses is abysmal and the working conditions abusive. I live in Philly, where the carriage horses spend a lot of time lounging around Benjamin Franklin Park. In New York they get awfully, awfully hot waiting in the sun near the Plaza Hotel. It seems to be the view of all enlightened New Yorkers that the carriage horse industry has to be shut down. The reason it hasn't been—yet—might surprise you: there seem to be a number of shady characters who drive the carriages, and they wish to be immune to public scrutiny of any sort.
    "Journalist", eh?

As a journalist, I am sure you are used to being asked to support your assertions with facts and/or cited sources.

So, where and how exactly is the "sanitation abysmal"?

How are the conditions "abusive"?

Are you stating that the asphalt is somehow cooler in Philly than it is in NYC?

Where is your research supporting your amazing ejaculation that "all enlightened New Yorkers" want the industry "shut down"?

....and please, do tell who these "shady characters" are, because I want to make sure and steer clear of them
    VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by michaleenflynn View Post
    "Journalist", eh?

As a journalist, I am sure you are used to being asked to support your assertions with facts and/or cited sources.

So, where and how exactly is the "sanitation abysmal"?

How are the conditions "abusive"?

Are you stating that the asphalt is somehow cooler in Philly than it is in NYC?

Where is your research supporting your amazing ejaculation that "all enlightened New Yorkers" want the industry "shut down"?

....and please, do tell who these "shady characters" are, because I want to make sure and steer clear of them
    Gee sounds like VP Horse & Carriage Assoc. of NYC is "on the clock" monitoring this BB....

The reason it hasn't been—yet—might surprise you: there seem to be a number of shady characters who drive the carriages, and they wish to be immune to public scrutiny of any sort.
    And yet, you, as a journalist, that is privy to this potentially SCANDALOUS revelation, hasn't written an investigative journalism piece on it? Amazing. And no other journalists have either? REALLY AMAZING.

Go away troll.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    Gee sounds like VP Horse & Carriage Assoc. of NYC is "on the clock" monitoring this BB....
    Gee, sounds like Stolen Virtue is "on the clock" monitoring me! LOL

2 members found this post helpful.

Resurrecting a thread over a year old? Wonder which RARA troll this is? Could it be the notorious Marianne, for whom there's no such thing as negative attention?

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    Gee looks like your prior obsession with all things MichFlynn is still going strong....
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnwood View Post
    Gee looks like your prior obsession with all things MichFlynn is still going strong....
    I must say I am flattered

Quote Originally Posted by lolalola View Post
    Resurrecting a thread over a year old? Wonder which RARA troll this is? Could it be the notorious Marianne, for whom there's no such thing as negative attention?
    Very likely. She is quite peeved that her FB page bombed.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    And yet, you, as a journalist, that is privy to this potentially SCANDALOUS revelation, hasn't written an investigative journalism piece on it? Amazing. And no other journalists have either? REALLY AMAZING.

Go away troll.
    Now, now, she might have something there -- after all, when I'm feeling shady and wish to be immune to public scrutiny, the first thing I do is hook up a horse and drive through through the streets of NYC.

5 members found this post helpful.

And here I was thinking that journalists weren't supposed to use their job to promote their own off-center, biased, loony, etc. views.

I think a real journalist would have gotten the other side of the story. But then maybe by NYC standards anyone who actually has any firsthand knowledge or experience with horses is considered too "out there" to talk to? Or, more likely, it's more convenient to avoid the truth when it is isn't sensational enough to attract viewers.

4 members found this post helpful.

Giving you the benefit of the doubt - for a split second here:
    Di read the wording of the proposed ban.
    You know, as journalist, with an eye on the far reaching consequences....
    then come back and tell me that it is not infringing on personal property rights to be forced by law to give away your belongings without control over who gets it.
    Or a lwaw stating what exactly it is you can do with your property (in this case exactly nothing...)

but since journalists aren't worth their salt anymore anyhow...

Now, split second over.
    If you are indeed a journalist, take some writing lessons.
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

Someone needs some priceless publicitiy, now don't they? Troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, troll, rinse repeat forever 'n ever....

Oh, and your name is, erm, 'appropriate'.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

3 members found this post helpful.

You must work harder at being a troll. Pretty amateurish effort, I say.

Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    You must work harder at being a troll. Pretty amateurish effort, I say.
    Hear, hear! And this is why the media are increasingly earning their old appellation, "Nattering Nabobs of Negativity."

This is "journalism?" What, the Kardashians having a slow day?

As Bill the Cat would say, "Aaack! Thpppt!"

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Maybe we need a COTH-driven YouTube expose to settle this matter.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    Maybe we need a COTH-driven YouTube expose to settle this matter.
    I would go, but according to Ms Forel I am make-believe.....
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?