The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Talk about a "straight to the point" sales ad.....

Full disclosure before he ends up in a situation that could have a chance of ending badly. I'm curious, that if he ended up with a "broker" and they were informed of a problem, if the information would be passed on? Of course, buyer beware - but still.

http://potsdam.craigslist.org/grd/2640907372.html

In case the ad gets flagged:

Sam is a 6 year old Haflinger gelding. He is in excellent body condition and absolutely beautiful. He is 100% sound and does have a current negative coggins. We are taking this guy to New Holland this coming weekend but are offering him at this price locally first if someone would like a project. He has very nice ground manners, catch him anywhere, tacks up quietly, works well on the longeline. Under saddle, Sam does bolt - not sure if someone has come off of him or what his past is but once a rider is up, he is leaving! No buck but no brakes either!

SAM SELLS JUST AS HE IS LISTED - NO NEGOTIATING ON PRICE, NO TRADE INS, NO CHECKS, AND NO I AM NOT DONATING HIM TO A RESCUE

Please do not waste your time or mine emailing me to tell me about New Holland - I know all about the sale as I am there regularly. If you are worried about where Sam will end up if he goes to the sale, please feel free to come and purchase him. Its cheaper than bailing him out from a broker next week and he is already here in northern NY! At least coming from here he is listed as he is with no surprises which is NOT how broker horses are represented.

Please email for photos and send your phone number.

that's quite amusing!

What, "I'm going to send him to auction" isn't enough anymore?

Now it has to be "If you don't buy him, I'll send him to auction and he'll hurt some unsuspecting buyer"?

Nice. I see we've taken emotional blackmail to a new low.

No its called avoiding a lawsuit totally upfront , and feeling no remorse or guilt...If the horse is of bad character either you buy and TRY to fix or put him where he isn't going to injure someone..DOWN...

I find that truely reprehensible. He probably wouldn't bolt coming thru the ring, as they are small, so someone is going to have a real problem on their hands when they think they have the bargain of a lifetime.

Actually, it does sound like he's fixable. He might have back issues ... sounds like a pain problem -- kissing spine, maybe?. Or trust issues. Too bad this person would rather rip someone else off rather than find a trainer (or a vet!) that could help this poor horse. Or yes, don't be soul-less and euth him yourself, if he has incurable behavior problem!

This person is assuming that his or her horse will go to a private individual/rescue that won't let a pretty halflinger go to the slaughterhouse, since these sales have gotten so infamous (notice ad says, if you buy from me, don't have to pay the broker fee?) Or should we be happy that at least they are trying to place the horse before putting the poor thing thru the trauma of a sale barn?

The ad has been deleted.

Out of curiosity, how much were they asking?
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwill View Post
    I find that truely reprehensible. He probably wouldn't bolt coming thru the ring, as they are small, so someone is going to have a real problem on their hands when they think they have the bargain of a lifetime.

Actually, it does sound like he's fixable. He might have back issues ... sounds like a pain problem -- kissing spine, maybe?. Or trust issues. Too bad this person would rather rip someone else off rather than find a trainer (or a vet!) that could help this poor horse. Or yes, don't be soul-less and euth him yourself, if he has incurable behavior problem!

This person is assuming that his or her horse will go to a private individual/rescue that won't let a pretty halflinger go to the slaughterhouse, since these sales have gotten so infamous (notice ad says, if you buy from me, don't have to pay the broker fee?) Or should we be happy that at least they are trying to place the horse before putting the poor thing thru the trauma of a sale barn?
    Great post that summed up the situation exactly. And I also agree with Happy Vagrant that this CL ad takes emotional blackmail to a new low.

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    The ad has been deleted.

Out of curiosity, how much were they asking?
    Haflinger Gelding - $300 (Potsdam)

Then I look at this ad:http://nashville.craigslist.org/grd/2641519159.html

This looks like a cute mare that can go places if someone puts the time into her......

Quote Originally Posted by Kwill View Post
    OR, the seller could represent him as "not safe to ride", as they have here. It happens. Short of shipping directly to slaughter...at New Holland, he could end up as a driving prospect. Heck, maybe he was never actually broke to ride, but would be fine in harness.
    "Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it."