The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Favorite workout videos

Thinking cardio/ weight burning & pilates.

Getting tired of being a fat out of shape blimp... thinking of trying workout videos in the AM & looking for suggestions. I'm also planning to check out some from the library.

So... what suggestions do you have (or ones to avoid)?
    http://www.leakycreek.com/
    http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
    John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
    Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma

I have the 30 Day Shred by Jillian Micheals... as much as I don't really like her the video is pretty good. I didn't do it EVERYday, but probably 5 days of the week and I could totally tell a difference. It's a 3-2-1 series. So you do three minutes of weight stuff, two minutes of cardio and one minute of abs... for three sets total. There are three levels... so in theory you do it for 30 days straight doing each level for 10 days. It does work, but I did get bored doing the same thing over and over which is why I didn't do it everyday lol.
    I'm currently doing pole classes but I do occasionally break out the dvd and do one of the levels.

I have pilates mix with Kristin Mcgee. Like it, but I have not tried any other pilates videos or classes so... I do like it better than the power yoga dvd of her's (I got both on sale) and I feel it does make me more flexible. Not very cardio'ish, but that is probably why i like it .

Been a while since last time I tried, but I remember it was different ways of doing exercises for different levels. Some of the positions were hard on the knees though, which is my weak link.

Default Insanity!

...A great workout series, but very intense. Between rowing, riding and these dvds I have lost about 20 pounds over the past year.

Of course, hopefully when the fall head race season is over and my beer consumption returns to more acceptable levels I will gain a few pounds back because my assbones are telling me that more padding would be preferable.

I ended up losing 11lbs. (my goal) with Jillian Michaels 30-Day Shred & Yoga Meltdown last year. It actually kicked my ass, lol. Plus, I even enjoyed doing them. I do the workouts sporadically now, and have managed to keep my weight down to what I originally lost.
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

I was thinking of trying the brazillian butt lift ( I know , I know-- but Im on a Brazillian kick right now -- and yes, inspired by the opposite sex). I just cant dance to save my life-- has anyone tried these?
    www.windhorsefrm.org and on Facebook too!
    Where mares rule and Basset Hounds drool!

Jane Fonda's Complete Workout!
    “We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”
    Kurt Vonnegut, Mother Night

I get bored with workout videos because it's the same thing all the time, but I have a Wii and the My Fitness Coach game for it, and that motivates me... it's like a DVD in that you're just following the moves, but it also makes you do physical challenges, tracks your progress, and yells at you when you don't work out, and the workouts change every time so you're not constantly doing the same things in the same order. Plus it has yoga.

I also have Wii Fit Plus, which is okay for starting/warming up but I eventually wanted more of a workout... the EA Sports Active Plus is awesome for an intense but fun workout, but I had issues with the sensors not working for me, so I had to return it.

P90X is very good, but very intense. It is quite expensive, but covers all areas of work-out, from yoga, pilates, upper torso, lower torso, etc. I think it has about 10 DVD's.

The best workout tape I ever purchased (VHS) was Buns of Steel. I don't even know if it was re-produced for DVD. However, I found it to have a good cardio and overall body workout. I highly recommend it, if it is still around.

I have Jillian Michaels' 6-week 6-pack, and Shiva Rea's Yoga Shakti. Both are great. The abs DVD is giving me really nice obliques

I have Jillian michaels 30 day and 6 pack. Ive worked out almost everyday for the last 5 years, weight training and running.. I dated a personal trainer for a few years so you could say I was pretty serious at the gym and didn't just walk on a treadmill, I would be sweating my butt off. But those DVDs sure kicked my ass! I used 5 pound weights for the 30 day shred, then tried a 3 pound weight. Those two pound difference made the biggest difference in the intensity. I was exhausted in 20mins than I was after a quick 20 minute (1.5-2miles on a hill).
    Last edited by Kdash1228; Oct. 9, 2011 at 09:38 AM.

Tae Bo and love the Total Gym.

Any good pilates DVDs? I prefer going to classes at the gym, but my class schedule this semester does not mesh with theirs.

zumba! I love the dvds. They have 20 minute workouts and 50-60 minute workouts. I love the 20 minute workouts when i just don't have the time to do a full 50 minutes.

when I could stand doing DVD's, I really liked The Firm (they have quite an extensive DVD collection). I also liked the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred, mainly because its short. 20 minutes a workout is very doable.

Never really found a good pilates DVD, but you can check out Mari Windsor. She was the big seller a few years ago and I thought she did a decent job.

Another vote for Jillian Michaels - her Yoga Meltdown DVD got me into such good shape, when I rejoined my club I was able to keep up with my Yoga/Pilates instructor for a whole 1.5 hr class!

Now I do 2 club WOs, 2 Jillian's DVD's per week and feel fit as a fiddle - it's very cool to feel the "bounce" in ones legs in their mid forties!