The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Weird "rub" problem...running martingale/girth attachment...

...appears to rub a sore on Rasta's stomach - ack! I've been riding with the running martingale even for flatwork this past year just to be on the safe side. And yes, it's cleaned every single ride...any suggestions?

I'm just going to put the neck strap on today for our hack...he's really quite good these days. Would stll like COTHers' thoughts about dealing with strap rubs from martingales...thanks!
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

Can you buy a girth with a ring attachment and add a snap clip to the end of the martingale, so the matringale clips onto the girth rather than looping around it?
    That's the sort of configuration I have on my stud guard girth and it works well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by cobiemurphy View Post
    Can you buy a girth with a ring attachment and add a snap clip to the end of the martingale, so the matringale clips onto the girth rather than looping around it?
    That's the sort of configuration I have on my stud guard girth and it works well for me.
    that's a good suggestion...would have to cut a slit in his girth cover (sheepskin) but it would be worth it if I can make it work...
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

Most of the inexpensive fleecy girths have a ring to clip things to, you could try the solution cheaply and without cutting up other things.

Is he getting fuzzy for winter? Vernon would get rubs because of a fuzzy coat. He may do better if he's clipped.

A fleece halter cover set could help - I have used the pieces in a pinch on a breastcollar that was rubbing. Since they velcro together, you can get them onto anything and they are a good size for most strap goods. And best part is they are cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    Most of the inexpensive fleecy girths have a ring to clip things to, you could try the solution cheaply and without cutting up other things.

Is he getting fuzzy for winter? Vernon would get rubs because of a fuzzy coat. He may do better if he's clipped.
    It started toward the end of summer and he was still very, very slick. I LOVE the idea of the inexpensive fleecy girths - will check online...

Quote Originally Posted by jackalini View Post
    A fleece halter cover set could help - I have used the pieces in a pinch on a breastcollar that was rubbing. Since they velcro together, you can get them onto anything and they are a good size for most strap goods. And best part is they are cheap.
    and hey, I have some SOMEWHERE in the trailer...gotta find my saddle cleaner out there anyway...

Default Perhaps wrap with cloth or vetwrap ?

Perhaps wrap with cloth, halter fleece or vetwrap ?

I have a martingale attachment .. piece of leather with a ring ``` and a snap on the martingale ... slip the attachment on the girth and then snap martingale to girth attachment. No rubbing at all .
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

RFI, I like the Lettia Coolmax girths. Soft and fleecy, but they have the nice Coolmax underside that keeps the sweat down.