The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Game of Thrones

Any one else like George R.R. martin's books? After the HBO series I read the whole series and gosh it's some of the best I've ever read.

1 members found this post helpful.

I've watched the HBO series, I have not read the books as of now. Went to dinner with MIL and friend one evening and both said they couldn't get into the books.. well one couldn't get into the book and the other had such a hard time with all the names that she stopped reading lol. I do love the series though!

I don't normally read sci-fi or fantasy because I have such a hard time with the made-up names of people and places (didn't make it twelve pages into Lord of the Rings) but I loooooooved the first book and am working my way through the second. For whatever reason, I'm not having a problem with the names with this series - maybe because they're (for the most part) similar to actual names, with realistic names interspersed as well. Plus the characters are so diverse and well-written, and the story is so intriguing! I can't wait for the second season to come - we are getting HBO JUST for that! Just hope I can finish the second book before then :P

I am on Book 4 and loving it. The series is pretty dark and can be pretty violent though, so I've been trying to read something light-hearted in between each book.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

Well, the books are great if you enjoy complexity. There are extensive appendixes and maps that were great to have to help explain it all. I'm not very patient, but buzzed through almost five thousand pages in two months and am waiting for the next book. It's sort of like "Lost.". Chapters are all point of view and some characters you start out hating become the most beloved, characters die without warning, lots of reference to obscure earlier stuff - if you enjoy the mental excersize it is just the best story, it really astounds me how smart this writer must be.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by xeroxchick View Post
    Well, the books are great if you enjoy complexity. There are extensive appendixes and maps that were great to have to help explain it all. I'm not very patient, but buzzed through almost five thousand pages in two months and am waiting for the next book. It's sort of like "Lost.". Chapters are all point of view and some characters you start out hating become the most beloved, characters die without warning, lots of reference to obscure earlier stuff - if you enjoy the mental excersize it is just the best story, it really astounds me how smart this writer must be.
    So is this not a book I'd want to read on my NOOK? (what with the appendixes and maps and such) I've got like 11+ hours of flying next sunday to go visit my mother across the pond and realized today I need to put stuff on my NOOK to read.

Can a Nook get internet? (I am familiar only with an iPod). Get the four book set and just leave them on the plane as you finish! Surely the download on the Nook includes the last part of the book and you can probably snap to that quickly, like abookmark?

Where is Rickon?

@Cranky, i've finished book five and no pne knows where Rickon is. For five books. Where the hell is Rickon?

1 members found this post helpful.

Can a Nook get internet? (I am familiar only with an iPod). Get the four book set and just leave them on the plane as you finish! Surely the download on the Nook includes the last part of the book and you can probably snap to that quickly, like abookmark?

Where is Rickon?
    Yes they get internet.. I can download books directly to my NOOK from anywhere that has Wifi. Every book I've bought through them so far as included the WHOLE book so would assume it would be the same for this book.

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
    So is this not a book I'd want to read on my NOOK? (what with the appendixes and maps and such) I've got like 11+ hours of flying next sunday to go visit my mother across the pond and realized today I need to put stuff on my NOOK to read.
    I read GoT on my nook and am reading Clash of Kings on it now, too. Given that they are 700-800 pages each, I prefer reading them on my nook - I've never been able to keep that large a paperback intact without breaking the spine/losing pages, and I don't want to pay $30 a book for the HC!

Also, they updated the nook stuff so that you should be able to download ANYWHERE there's wifi - even internationally, so if you forget to do so before you go, it should still function overseas

I haven't read the books (yet, not sure if I will), but am very anxiously awaiting the series return on HBO. I thought it was amazing.

love the hbo and the book series... definitely not "light" reading! I have to read book 6 still, but it was like $15 on amazon for the kindle version and I'm a cheapo I figure if I wait a few months it should come down in price! (or maybe someone will get me an amazon gc for Christmas )

I'm listening to audio version (downloaded from the library) and am on book 2. I love them; there is an app for genealogy, and I'm clearly going to have to get that if I am going to keep up by book 4.

Well I've downloaded the sample for now on my Nook. Usually the samples give you a chapter or two, is this gonna be enough for me to know if I'll like it or not? I'll also say that if this is a book where you don't really get into it until page 100 I'll never read it lol.

I was so excited when Dance With Dragons came out since it had been so long since the last one. I didn't like it. I was really disappointed with the writing and skipped nearly half the book.

I'm on book 3 and I love them!
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

I read "Game Of Thrones" in 1998 and loved it. I read each of the subsequent books as they were published and enjoyed most of them a great deal. I think I got bogged down reading "A Feast For Crows" and really had to push hard to finish it.

The HBO series has been good so far. I was excited to watch it, but it can be a kind of crap shoot when books are adapted and I wasn't sure if the books could be done right. But they have done a good job with it.

George R.R. Martin attends a lot of Science Fiction and Fantasy conventions and my husband and I have had the chance to to chat with him in 2008 in Denver at the World Convention ("WorldCon") and this year when WorldCon was held in Reno. He is an interesting guy. He hosted a panel in Reno on the process of adapting the first book, and then walked the audience through the episode he wrote. Hopefully he'll get the remaining books written in a more timely manner.

For anyone who enjoyed "Game Of Thrones", try David Anthony Durham's trilogy ("Acacia", "The Other Lands" and "The Sacred Band").
    Sheilah

My boyfriend and I are both working our way through reading the series. As soon as we saw the trailer for the show, we knew they would be right up our alley. LOVE the series, LOVE the books (I am finishing the third in the next few days - and I have read them all on my Nook). I don't think the books are hard to get into at all, the writing is simple and GOOD, and I just can't say enough good things!

At first, between the series and reading, I did get confused sometimes with all the names and family relations, since there are a LOT of characters, and pretty much everyone is related in some way! By book two, though, I think I got it mostly figured out. I know that it seems certain parts, or questions, stay unanswered, but while that happens, it's not like there is nothing else going on in the book that doesn't keep me completely interested. There is always "something" going on, and each chapter leaves you wondering what is going to happen to that character's story.

Also, the line between "good" and "evil" is so blurred. It is so much more like real life, even though it's fantasy! The characters are so multi-dimensional, and it was so very interesting to develop a deep hatred for one particular character, and then, when he got his own chapters (the chapters are written from the POV of the charcter) I began to feel compassion for him and even empathize with him.

I LOVE TYRION! And Arya! Can't believe I saw this thread on COTH!

Amy

"I decided I am going to live, or at least try to live, the way I want,
    with dignity, with courage, with humor, with composure."

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by cranky View Post
    I am on Book 4 and loving it. The series is pretty dark and can be pretty violent though, so I've been trying to read something light-hearted in between each book.
    I read them when I was a freshman and sophomore in high school (so, 14, 15 years old), and looking back now...they were a little dark for a relatively young kid still. I'm approaching my mid-twenties now and elected not to pick up the new one he just published. I've grown out of the series, I think.

I did enjoy the recent HBO series. Thought Sean Bean was a poor choice for Stark though. And I love Sean Bean, so it is not a knock on him! Just do not see him as Stark!

@Cranky, i've finished book five and no pne knows where Rickon is. For five books. Where the hell is Rickon?
    Oops, wrong wrong wrong. Pay no attention to what was in this space.
    Last edited by Guin; Oct. 9, 2011 at 07:30 PM.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry