The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Wen, Hair One and Non-Shampoos, again.

I know we had the other thread, but I thought I'd start anew. The original one WAY back when (ha!) got me trying new things with my very curly, thin, lot of hair.

I tried I forgot whoever suggested it, but one thing was to just use a conditioner to clean and rinse out. That actually works OK, and other research I've done on this says a lot of people do it, and some of the best is the 99 cent Vo5 stuff.

I didn't get Wen, but Hair One at Sally Beauty Supply. It was about $11 and lasted a month or so. It's nice and makes my hair feel nice. (Nothing is really ever going to change the frizz!) Everything I've read says it's the same as Wen.

Now I'm out and going to try something new! I found this:
    http://1greengeneration.elementsintime.com/?p=365
    Just use baking soda and vinegar. I'm trying this tonight and will report back tomorrow.

I've also done some reading that Tea Tree oil is a good hair cleaner.

It seems when you use non-shampoos, you want to really scrub your head and run a lot of water through it, which may be the main reason why it works!

What have you done? I like the idea of getting away from shampoos. I now use the shampoo as soap, so no soap scum in the shower!

I read the other threads, and have gone back & forth with trying Hair One. Makes me nervous though, because my hair tends to get oily if I don't shampoo every day. We also have well water, which makes finding a good shampoo really hard. I eventually found that the only shampoo/conditioner that works well with my hair & our water is Herbal Essence Hydralicious: Featherweight.

I'd still love to try Hair One, but am not sure I'm brave enough to attempt it.
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

I had trepidations too before trying the Hair One, so I washed first with my regular shampoo (at the time) and then used the Hair One as directed. The next day, I used just the Hair One and I admit, I love the way it makes my hair feel and look.

The best results for me are when I wash daily, but when I don't, I wash first with another non-sulfate, but foaming shampoo by Zotos (available at Sally Beauty) and then follow with the Hair One. It's so much better than the sulfate shampoo.
    "Living is easy with eyes closed. Misunderstanding all you see." from the gospel of John and Paul.

From what I was reading, you have to do any of these new washing systems for awhile before it really kicks in. It takes awhile to get that old stuff out of your hair, recondition it, or whatever. I don't know, but am working on it. You can't go back to the shampoo!

Has anyone stuck with it for awhile?

I have (stuck with it), since the summer when it was mentioned here on OT day. I noticed a difference the first time I ever used it.
    "Living is easy with eyes closed. Misunderstanding all you see." from the gospel of John and Paul.

I have curly,frizzy hair and have had the best luck with a conbo of 60% Morrocan curl cream and 40% Morrocan oil. Keeps the frizz element down!

I have been using Wen for a couple years now. I used to shampoo=straw/condition like crazy=clean. I love skipping the straw step and going straight to the clean part. I would advise buying the kit that has four or five different "flavors" as they are different in ways other than just the scent. My favorites are tea tree and fig but those would be too heavy for someone with normal hair or oily hair.

Leprechaun--Can you explain what you're doing? Are you "washing" with the curl cream and putting on the oil after? Are you "washing" with something else first?

OK, my hair is dry now. I washed my hair with baking soda, scrubbing well, rinsed it, then put vinegar in it, scrubbed, and rinsed. I was out of white and apple cider vinegar, so used Balsamic. I put maybe a tablespoon of each with water. I had to use some shine stuff to get the tangles out, but my hair feels REALLY good and clean.