The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Whits End with a whimpering GSD

Title pretty much says it all, I've had this dog since she was 7 weeks old, only about a few months ago she whimpers.... non.... stop...

Anyone else have a GSD who does this... It's beyond annoying, nothing wrong with her health wise, she's got other dogs to pay with also but... she just whimpers... and whimpers and whimpers....

HELP!!!??

I'm just going to sit back and here what people haev to say here.

I have thes ame problem in a different situation; my deaf puppy whines ALL DAY, ALL NIGHT and most especially while he's in the car--when he pants its a constant "AH AH AH AH AH" shrieking. Now obviously there's nothing that can be done on my end...he never knows he's doing it. I have learned to live with it and pack motrin on long car rides. BUT, still would like to see what the consensus here.

When does she whimper? While you train her--when she's outside? When she's outside alone, with you? On walks? When she eats? When you look at her does it get worse or does she stop? Is it associated with anxiety stress or pain in any way at all?

She does it inside, Waiting for dinner, she has EPI so her dinner has to have enzyme powder on it and sit for 15min or so. But she will also do it just laying around the house. I don't know why she does it... But it drives us absoutley crazy.

The male I had whined constantly, his whole life. He crossed the rainbow bridge in June and I adopted two more. A 5yo male and a 10m old female. The female is another whiner.

Can sympathise with you on the crazy part. After raising Tovin I feel like a shrieking colicy newborn would be a welcome reprieve.

Have you made sure your GSD can hear? I've also had a couple of Jacks who were deaf and were unaware of their vocal habits. Which were somewhat annoying.

My new Jack puppy is a SHRIEKER. Definitely knows what she wants AND WHEN and lets you know about it.

If she whined constantly, we'd have had to return her to the breeder because my SO cannot stand constant noise and loud noises in particular. The puppy is staying even though she is LOUD because as we get better in anticipating her needs, she is getting quieter
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Have a GSD that is turning 11 this spring. Hes a whiner . When hes nervous especially.. but sometimes when hes happy sometimes when hes excited!

He just likes to talk
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

I have a deaf Red Heeler who whimpers--- all.the.time. In his defense, he doesn't know he does it, so we give him a hand signal when he starts to annoy us. He is one smart cookie, knows hand signals, and when it's dark and he's outside--- we flash the porch light to signal him to come back in the house. He is 4 years old now, and still whimpers---especially if someone is not home, he knows how many of us there are, and if someone is not accounted for, he whimpers until they come home. SO was gone racing in FL last winter, and it got so bad, I shipped the dog to him with a horse hauler so I could have a break. I told him when he leaves this winter, the dog goes with him.
    The only difference between a runaway and a fast gallop is nothing but a SMILE
    Most horses cross the Rainbow Bridge, but TEDDY JUMPED IT!!!
    Member of the COTH Enabler Clique

i have a young collie who "chortles" ..she sounds like chewbacca from star wars..........she talks all the time......
    and an anatolian shepherd who whines, but not nearly as much as he used to.............he is/was a rescue, and just 18 months when i got him in april....he had ALOT of anxiety issues, and whined while he followed me everywhere......but, the longer he was doted on and comforted, the more confident he became, and the whining is just used for occasional comunication.........as for the collie, well, she is just a chatterbox, and it doesn't seem to be anxiety based......
    BUT, both dogs are much more quiet when their mouths are full with a bone or a chewie..............so, would a mouth/mind occupying toy be helpful?......is your dog anxious, and just needs more reassurance?......does she need/have a dog or cat buddy?

That is the noise God gave to GSDs. He gave Beagles howling and Malamutes singing. To GSDs he gave the oh-so-scary(not) whimper.
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Quick answer? It's a GSD thing!

Where did you get your GSD and how old is she now? If you adopted her from a rescue, the following won't pertain to you.

IMO, as a dog trainer/behaviorist w/ 30+ years exp., (I've trained a LOT of Shepherd's over the years) the average GSD's that you purchase from the average breeders here in the US have genetic temperament and behavior issues. It is extremely difficult to get a good GSD in the US.

They whine, they are clingy, they have a lot of nervous behaviors (panting when not hot, pacing, whining, pawing at their owner). EPI is an inherited disorder found predominantly in GSD's and Shiloh Shepherds which are closely related to GSD's.

Breeders should NEVER breed dogs who are diagnosed w/ EPI and they should NOT repeat breedings that have produced EPI pups.

Whining can be a way of expressing nervous energy, often times increasing a dogs exercise and mental stimulation can help to lessen the whining. If a dog has something to focus on (a job to do) they are less likely to whine and if a dog is tired, it tends to relax and won't whine as much.
    Proud Native Texan!
    owned by 3 Cardigan Corgi's + 3 wonderful horses!

Did your vet check the dog, or do you just think it is healthy? i would def. Check with a vet.

My dog whined and yodelled all the time when younger, and it was worse because the older dog went out without her- we were careful not to let her over exercise when she was still growing.

She now continues to yap, yodel, whine and whimper when she is excited and it goes on for ages. She's a talker. She is healthy, but she is full of nervous energy.

I have a not-deaf GSD who is a whiner and a talker. He whines mostly, but when he's really happy he'll escalates into mumbling 'row-row-row'. It's pretty cute (when it isn't irritating as hell). His whining makes me nuts, I *hate* that noise, but he's such a good boy otherwise.

He's 9-ish, came to me 5 or so years ago as a tray, he literally followed me up my driveway

German Shepherds are the most vocal dogs I have ever known (and that includes beating out Huskies!) They have a wide range of sounds from whining to high pitched whatever-the-heck-that-is, under-the-breath woofing, big dog bark, normal bark, pay attention to me bark, I really friggin' hate this whine, long drawn out I'm-so-over-this sigh, I really love it when you rub my ears moans, I don't like what that cat is doing sounds, I must save that child sound, move NOW sheep bark, because I can talk back to you even though I do what you say bark........................

Short answer: You're not alone.
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

On an off note... I'm sorry about the EPI, my dog has it too, he's six now and in great weight so it's definitely manageable.
    I have a great GSD, bred in the states specifically as family dogs, of German, Czech and American lines and he has none of the high-strung, unmanageable tendencies that another poster said are prevalent in the USA. Guess I got lucky! My dog only whines when he's excited, he's very attached to my girls and if they are running around rough housing and screaming, he gets very wound up. Even worse, if they go outside to practice field hockey (BALL!!!) he gets upset because he KNOWS what they're doing, it involves a ball and he's not included. That is simply unacceptable to him. I would first see if I really understood what the dog's issues are, is she truly fine, or is she upset about something and needs some help coping? Otherwise...I'd treat it like cribbing or weaving, annoying, but not the end of the world.
    "You can't blame other people. You can't always say what happened wasn't my fault, and you know what? Even if you have an excuse, shut up. "Bruce Davidson Sr.

I feel better now - because my GSD's whining is driving me insane. He barks a lot, too, but the whining kills me. He's a sweet dog who appears to be healthy (nothing found by a vet). His only other problem is that he's just not that interested in food. When we got him off of 'doggie death row' at a shelter, he was emaciated. He was turned in by his owners because they were traveling across country and he would whine and bark when left in hotel rooms. He wasn't going to be put up for adoption because the shelter said he was unfriendly - I happened to be taking a shelter tour (was there to speak to their ACOs) and saw him. He just 'spoke' to me, and we pulled him out of the shelter planning on finding a rescue to take him. But he was emaciated.

It took forever to get weight on him - he just doesn't care much about food. By the time he didn't look scary-skinny, we were attached.

He's sweet, loves to play, gets along well with the hound/lab cross we already have. Not super great with cats (but he's a herding dog). Puts himself between me and strangers and stares them down (what I wanted).

But the whining... eeek!
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Haha my GSD is really talkative too, I had no idea it was a breed thing. He only whines when he's upset, but it doesn't take much to do that. But he does this horrible scream when he chases rabbits and every time he does it I think he must be dying, he moans and groans all the time in the house, he barks any time there might just maybe be something outside, etc. I like talkative dogs though so except for his excited rabbit-chasing scream I don't mind--and the only reason I mind that is because I can't get used to it and I'm always afraid a snake bit him or something!

Jenn, mine is the same way about food. He's much skinnier than I would like, always looks kind of ribby and thin but I feed him as much as he will eat and he has no health problems. He just doesn't have much interest in food (and he'll only eat if I'm sitting nearby and not moving or talking on the phone and the cats are layin down and the other dogs are also eating and the stars are perfectly aligned) and he gets a lot of exercise. I don't know why I like that dog so much, he's nothing but trouble.

We have a mixed breed dog that is a whiner and a shrieker, on a daily basis several times throughout the day. Wow, can she ever try a person's patience?! I have tried every training method that made sense to me with "some" success, but only if I am right on top of things and can anticipate a trigger. If not, she is right back to her ingrained irritating behavior. It is like she just cannot control herself. Shpe is very, very smart so I know if she could, she would. I decided to try Bach Flower essences to see if by following Edward Bach's theory that out of balance emotional states that some animals get "stuck" in can manifest in some of these undesirable behaviors.

I am very pleased with the results. Her whining has decreased significantly and the "going off the deep end" barking/shrieking episodes have lessened. Even if she does get set off, now when I ask for quiet, I can get it. It is like she has her thinking mind back now. This I can live with. I expect to keep making progress in a positive direction with the end result being that she will be able to control herself and be able to focus on me when I request it.

With her it wasn't an overnight change, but I could see definite progress and have continued with the essences and will do so until I feel she doesn't require them anymore.

Other ideas worth looking into would be the Thundershirt and TTouch.

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirljenn View Post
    His only other problem is that he's just not that interested in food.
    It took forever to get weight on him - he just doesn't care much about food.
    He's sweet, loves to play, gets along well with the hound/lab cross we already have. Not super great with cats (but he's a herding dog). Puts himself between me and strangers and stares them down (what I wanted).

But the whining... eeek!
    Has he been checked for EPI or other digestive issues such as IBS (kidney & liver issues can also cause chronic nausea so a comprehensive blood panel may help)

Have you tried rewarding silence & ignoring the whining (ie pretending it does not exist as a sound in the universe, level of ignoring)

Not great with cats is more likely to be prey drive than herding instinct.