The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone done pole classes?

As in pole dancing classes? I started about 10 weeks ago and do two one hours classes a week.. next round I'll be doing 3 one hour classes a week (as well as moving up to the next level). A friend of mine, who now is no longer doing it, talked me into trying it and now I really do enjoy it. It's fun and different really is a workout.

I actually really want to take those classes once my ankle is healed. Someone told me it was a good workout, but how? Is it a whole body workout or just core and legs? Actually sounds pretty fun to do, lol.

My whole body aches so I would say whole body lol. At the studio I go to (which is all women and 18y/o+ only) it's not just dancing around the pole. We generally start with about 10 minutes of stretching (which always starts with 50 jumping jacks).. then we spend about 40 minutes doing pole work (including pole climbs to the ceiling) and then another 10 minutes doing things like more jumping jacks, crunches/situps a thousand different ways, leap frogs, and ALWAYS (much to my dismay) push ups. MOST of the women in the upper level classes are 35+ and every single one of them can do the splits!! And talk about legs... holy cow they all have nice legs.
    I just started an Arco class which is where you learn advanced moves UP on the pole. So the other day I learned to do a kick up... one moment you stand next to the pole and then you do a little hop swing/pull your legs above your head, wrap around the pole and viola your upside down lol. That one class made me sooo sore lol.

Holy crap! Just reading that sounded intense! But sure does sound like it's much more fun than the kickboxing classes I normally take (and definitely beats running on a treadmill in the winter lol).

I have and even have one. I had visions of getting a great workout on it (because it totally IS!) but alas it takes so much upper body strength and hand strength that it really isn't beneficial to me any more. I think I'm developing arthritis in my hands etc,so I do not need to aggravate it any more than what I already do with barn work, riding etc.

So Lil Mynx is now in the garage. Isn't that pathetic?
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

That does sound exhausting!!
    I'm just afraid I would seriously hurt myself. I mean, I'm -at best- awkward just when walking around on the ground! Three people, friends, have openly and honestly said that I may be one of the most awkward, clumsiest people they've ever met.
    I'd be the one to accidentally miss the pole and land on my chin or something.
    But it would probably be an intense workout! I want to hear from more who have taken/are taking classes
    MrB's attempt at talking like a horse person, "We'll be entering in the amateur hunter-gatherer division...."