The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Oh Cr*p-I have to wear "sensible" shoes now

I started having foot problems about six months ago and realized it was the non-supportive, higher heels (boots-not stilletos!) I was wearing.
    I found some Sanita clogs and the difference was unbelievable. I now look for shoes with good arch support and all over support. Fortunately I love clogs so it's fun to look for them online.
    So, guess my higher heeled Harley Davidson boots with all the studs are put in the back of the closet. Bah humbug.
    Anyone else????

Ballet style flats, especially well made ones with decent arch support, are all I wear in a professional setting. Luckily they have been in style (as I understand it, I'm no fashionista) for a while, and there are many cute ones out there.

BES
    Proudly owned by 2 chestnut mares
    Crayola Posse: sea green
    Mighty Rehabbers Clique

I'm in the sensible show crowd now, too. Plantar fascitis and crappy ankles mean no more cute heels. It's all about the comfort. Fortunately, Clarks, Naturalizer, even Hush Puppies, make some cute shoes I'm willing to be seen wearing. I still lust after a cute pair of high heeled pumps.
    When people show you who they truly are, believe them. Maya Angelou

While I never did wear stilettos, I always used to dress for work in suits, skirts, dresses and wore heels. After dealing with corns and callouses for yrs I finally decided to have hammer toe surgery and stopped wearing heels. Because I really disliked flat shoes with suits, skirts, and dresses, I started wearing slacks. I don't regret the decision one bit and now don't even own a dress. I even got rid of the evening dresses. I figured they probably didn't fit anymore and if I needed one, I could just go buy a new one.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

I travel to New York once or twice a year with a client and we usually stay at a hotel right next to a Bass store. They have the ultimate sensible and comfortable shoes. I always buy at least one pair while we're there. Last year, they had an awesome post-Thanksgiving sale and I bought six pairs. I'm looking forward to this year's trip.

I stopped wearing heels this year, too. My 'mysterious' backache has vanished now. I blame the heels for it.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I wear SAS shoes. After foot surgery a few years ago, I needed comfortable shoes with good support. I'm on my feet all day teaching 8th graders, and these are stylish and comfortable. They are not cheap, but they last a long time.
    Life is great when you can hug a horse.

Me too! Back in July I started having terrible pain underneath my left foot, between heel and arch. It came on abruptly, out of the blue. It was like walking on a pointed rock every single step I took. Doc said, nothing much to do, rest and ice it, pain will last a couple months.
    I spent the summer in supportive shoes with inserts. No hiking, no wearing flip flops and certainly no walking barefoot. Gah. Fortunately, riding (both horse and bike) didn't hurt!

My foot is just now starting to feel better. But I'll keep wearing comfy, supportive shoes for a while longer. For work, Clark and Born shoes have good arch support, and I bought those arch support inserts at the drug store for my other shoes (including my running and riding shoes!).

Getting old sucks.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Quote Originally Posted by JustTrails View Post
    I'm in the sensible show crowd now, too. Plantar fascitis.:
    Me too 3 shots of cortisone finally helped. Dansko clogs at the barn and I try not to go barefoot too much.

I had foot surgery as a child and try to wear shoes that won't make my feet hurt too much. Basically can't wear heels at all for any length of time so am always looking for cute flats. Luckily ballet flats are pretty much always in style and I've been able to find brands that are decently supportive (have a complete sole). I kind of want to try Ariat clogs, I keep meaning to just order a pair on Zappos to test out for everyday life since I like their boots...

I have been a lifelong sensible shoe wearer. I did not want to end up with feet like my mother's. Love my Kickers; http://www.kickers.co.uk/webapp/wcs/...let/Home_3_302
    ... _. ._ .._. .._