The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Torn on the Fence.

Some of you know that Spring failed his trial and came home last Saturday. And I'm thrilled about that.

There is a back story on Spring. Well kind of in any case. I met Spring about 5 years ago, a year after I bought my pony Poco. I switched barns basically to go to a bigger place that would have more people, trails, etc. Well the place I moved to was bigger and had more trails. But only one person who was there regularly aside from the BM. Her name was L and she owned Spring.

It very quickly got to the point where it was apparent L was just as barn lonely as I was and we very quickly started riding together all the time. Shortly after we started hanging out she started allowing me to interact with Spring and it wasnt long before I was going "I wish i could own this horse..." In short he was my dream horse. Big, Black, Sweet Nature, you know the usual little girls dream from reading books, minus the fact I was 19.

Over the few months I was there (Like 3 or 4) I interacted with him more and more. L would not ride Poco but welcomed me to ride Spring. Shortly after me arriving Poco and Spring were put together in pasture and became best buds.

After about 3-4 months I moved Poco out because we moved a good distance away. However i continued to make the trip (almost an hour) to visit L and Spring at the barn, and again when Spring was moved to a new location that better met his/L's needs. This was over the course of about 2 years. L was going up and down both with her life and with Spring. In short he was being an ass and taking advantage of her disabilities. but with me coming out once a week or so he kept his manners well enough. I did make a promis to L that I would take Spring if I needed to. One of those thing you would do without thinking anything of it.

I wound up getting a second horse, Red, as both a pity case and for company for Poco. I had come to accept that I would never own Spring himself. Maybe a horse similar to him later on in life. I had actually hopped to get said horse but instead wound up with Red.

Last year though L hit bottom and gave Spring to me and while she was still here I kept her coming out to my place to see him, ride him, as often as I could. Eventually she moved several states away.

At the beginning of summer, my first winter of being married had passed and it was obvious I had no time for 3 horses. Not to mention the funds. Could I afford it? Yes. But i wanted more leeway.

So I made the decision to sell one of my three. Out of all 3 Poco was the only one NOT for sale. It wasn't practical. Poco was 17 and while perfect on the ground, she is a nut under saddle. One of Poco's good points is actually one of her bad points. She is adorable. And even if I were to give her away as a pasture companion only you know SOMEONE would think it would be a grand idea to put their kid on her.

So that left Red and Spring. The rest of my family was partial to Red, she had longevity, but I was fonder of Spring. So I made the decision to put them both up for sale. Spring I priced at 2k only being sold with his blanket. Red I priced at like $1350 neg but she went with everything but a bridle. Her winter blanket, her kieffer saddle, her anatomical girth. At least $500 in tack, to make her more appealing to a potential buyer.

But in the end it was Spring that moved.

A couple days in I was telling myself to NOT say anything to sabotage the sale. Dont post anything on facebook, send a text going "Oh how I miss him..." and how much I wish he was back. Kept it quiet when talking/texting her. When she first said about a week into the trial that they wanted to bring him back, I was ecstatic. He was coming home! But again I kept it out of my texts back and forth, and unfortunately by the end of week 2 before they brought him back they decided to finish the trial. And of course playing the part of the impartial seller I said ok.

In the end he did come back, which I was thrilled about. I even rode him the day he came back.

And now I'm torn. Neither Spring or Red are being put back up for sale for the winter. And frankly. I don't even want to put Spring back on the market. I want Red to go. I know red has longevity for the rest of the family. But Spring has longevity for ME. He's the horse Ive always wanted, and now finally own. I still keep L updated too, even through the selling part. I met the family, I drove to a completely different state to do a barn check before they were allowed to pick him up, googled her name, facebook, etc.

Family is pushing me to primarily sell Spring. I'm pushing back to sell Red. And as my mom said in the end, my horses my choice. But I'm torn and not sure what to do...
    Did you know, today is yesterdays tomorrow and what you would leave for tomorrow you should do today?
    I am pro-Slaughter

Does your family pay the bills on these horses? No? Then you get to decide.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

They are your horses and ultimately it is your decision. From reading your stories about riding them, it seems like Spring is the better ride for you right now in terms of being good for learning and for your confidence. If I had to sell one knowing only the things you have written about, I would sell Red.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHorseProblem View Post
    Does your family pay the bills on these horses? No? Then you get to decide.
    This.

Yea, I pay all the bills for them, but its like decisions decisions. Personally I would give red away to the right person or drop her price down to a hundred or so. But how do you target the right person? I may talk to lesson lady about it.
    Did you know, today is yesterdays tomorrow and what you would leave for tomorrow you should do today?
    I am pro-Slaughter

Sell Red to a member of your family.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Wont work. Lol. I brought it up once before but they do not want to take on the cost of a horse on their own.
    I am pro-Slaughter

Quote Originally Posted by Kitari View Post
    Wont work. Lol. I brought it up once before but they do not want to take on the cost of a horse on their own.
    Then they really get zero say! It's none of their dang business if they are not (especially when they will not) pay any of the bills.

Yea, I mean don't get me wrong. Mom will help out if needed (like an unexpected vet bill) But usually its a small amount paid back within a couple weeks. Last time that happened was a long while ago.

My farrier is coming out on the 18th I'm going to talk to him then about Red and possibly placing her with someone he knows or asking for his advice on the matter.
    I am pro-Slaughter

Quote Originally Posted by MyssMyst View Post
    Then they really get zero say! It's none of their dang business if they are not (especially when they will not) pay any of the bills.
    Definitely. Tell them you appreciate their input and then do what you want. Your horses, your money, your decision.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.