The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Exclamation What are your must have winter apparel items?

I am going to be in an un-heated barn this year.... I need to buy lots of warm winter clothing. What do you buy to keep you warm? You can also mention what you buy for your horse.

I need to start shopping now! Before it gets cold in Wisconsin!

UnderArmour! SmartWool! I've heard good things about the fleece-lined breeches (Mountain Horse, maybe?), but haven't tried them. I would die without UA and SW, though.

Out of curiosity, where in Wisconsin are you?

I will look up smartwool. I have never heard of that brand. I am between milwaukee and racine in caledonia(small little town). We get all of the crappy lake effect snow/sleet!

Carhartts!

Wear over your riding clothes until it's time to get on. I also wear my full chaps a lot in the winter, and fleece breeches, and any number of interesting layers.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

Layers, layers and layers!

UA and SmartWool are both excellent!

I do like my Carhartt jacket. It's like an oven but a little bulky to ride in. I usually get too warm to ride in it but it's great for around the barn!

An ear warmer headband is a must. Keeps you so much warmer working around the barn.

I have a good pair of insulated boots (Ariat) and socks but I still need toe warmers. You know, those ones that come packaged that you just take out of the package and adhere to the bottom of your socked foot and they warm up. Those are great! I always have them on hand for standing on cold concrete floors in the barn. Plus, I have poor circulation.

Smartwool socks and smartwool long underwear!! They are pricey, but sooo worth it!! I don't put mine in the dryer and they last forever!!

Smartwool socks. Irideon Wind Pro winter breeches. Good winter coat and Kyra K gloves.
    Some days the best thing about my job is that the chair spins.

Those chemical toe warmers are a must have. I have the ones with the adhsive on them and stick them on top of my socks. My wife will stick a pair in her gloves, but they really work.

My Horseware jackets! I have a down one with removable sleeves so it can also be a vest, and a waterproof jacket, lined with fleece, and a hidden hood, that is amazingly warm.

Ariat ear warmer headbands. They're comfortable and very cozy!

Under Armour, Ariat jackets, and Kerrits fleece breeches. I'd also stock up on REI's snowboarding socks when they go on sale... super warm and cozy; worth their weight in GOLD in the winter!
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

On the really cold, snowy, icy days I wear my thickest SKI pants and my heaviest SKI jacket, and my ape gloves, love them. I stay warm all day.

I am allergic to wool so no smartsocks for me.

I have cuddleduds or UnderArmour longjohns that I put under my winter weight Kerrits breeches. I wear a pair of thick fluffy socks and winter paddock boots.

I like Ariat Tek Grip winter gloves because I can still grip the reins and they are partially waterproof. I also have a balaclava that I can cover my entire face with.

I will wear a pair of snowpants or sweatpants over my breeches as well while I tack up or muck stalls and I wear several layers of fleece.

I could not function witout my fleece neck gaitor. Also my sheepskin flap hat (aviator) until it's time to put on my helmet. Other than that, the same... Smartwool, Under Armour, and plenty of fleece layers under a windbreaker shell. This keeps me riding until about 15 degrees, below that I've become a wimp.

Eyeing the Tuffrider Tundra Fleece Lined Boots, though...
    Last edited by mojo7777; Oct. 8, 2011 at 09:11 PM.
    Mon Ogon (Mojo), black/bay 16 H TB Gelding

Hats that cover your ears and scarves and all the warm clothes mentioned above

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    I am allergic to wool so no smartsocks for me.
    Check on that. Some who are allergic to wool can tolerate merino. Also consider Point6 socks. even nicer than smartwool.
    madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

I'm so impressed you keep riding down to 15 degrees. It's only gotten to the 40s here in Massachusetts and I'm already dreading the future. Of course I'm one of your Senior riders...does that give me an excuse??

How cold does it have to get before it's not technically "safe" to stress the horse's lungs? I have access to a dandy indoor so I doubt it will ever get there, but I'm just curious what the thoughts out there are.

Quote Originally Posted by gemwriter View Post
    I'm so impressed you keep riding down to 15 degrees. It's only gotten to the 40s here in Massachusetts and I'm already dreading the future. Of course I'm one of your Senior riders...does that give me an excuse??

How cold does it have to get before it's not technically "safe" to stress the horse's lungs? I have access to a dandy indoor so I doubt it will ever get there, but I'm just curious what the thoughts out there are.
    Heh, I am in my late 40s, have arthritis, and live in MA, and ride down to 15 degrees, as long as it's not windy or I am riding in an indoor.

Here are my essentials:

wool sock liners (Smartwool are best) with regular wool socks over them.

chemical toe warmers if it's really, really cold

long underwear

Equissentials winter breeches which are lined with Polartec, or Irideon wind pro riding tights

Boots: for paddock boots, I have an older pair of Ariat Bromont lace-ups lined with Thinsulate. I wear heavy suede half-chaps with them. I use my regular tall boots if I am taking a lesson.

For gloves, I use SSG Windstoppers with fingerless wool gloves over them. If it's really cold I will put chemical handwarmers inside my gloves.

Layers on top: long underwear under long-sleeve Tshirt under flannel shirt under fleece or otherwise "insulated" vest -- and a horse who completely tolerates me putting on/taking off layers without dismounting I also have a Smartwool lighteight zip sweater that's very warm, and an Ariat short, lined jacket.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Default I've said this before...

Polarfleece is your BFF.
    Lightweight and WARM!

The only drawback is it is a horsehair magnet so pick your colors accordingly. Dark horse: no light colors, gray horse: no dark colors.

Underneath layers:
    Cotton T-neck until it gets really cold, then Hot Chillys T under that.
    Also Hot Chillys leggings under fleecelined breeches.
    The HCs are lightweight techno-fabric that is amazingly warm while feeling like cotton.

My warmest breeches are ancient (15yo+) Patagonias.
    A gift from my brother, not sure they even make them any more

Polarfleece socks - from the x-country ski dept of sports stores - keep my feet warm & dry.

Timberland insulated hikers until I ride, then I tough it out in my paddock boots with the PF socks.

Insulated glove liners keep my hands warm but let me handle the fine-tuning stuff like buckling bridles.

Earbands are perfect, even under a helmet.

I usually wimp out around 20F & that is in my unheated, non-insulated indoor.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

You realize you are all scaring the crap outta me??? I am a lifelong southern girl about to face her first New England winter......Best place to get the aforementioned items ?? Best prices??
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

I've gotten smartwool from Gander Mountain, travel country and rei. I try to shop the sales. I found smartwool pink hiking socks on clearance at Gander Mountain for $10.00 a pair, I now have many pairs and gifted some for christmas.

Their long underwear I bought in the medium weight, they are similiar to tights and fit right under jeans/breeches. They made a huge difference!! We had a really cold winter here, in the teens, and I was toasty