The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Should Background Checks Be Done on New Boarders?

On the ID Discovery show "Deadly Women", one of the documented cases was of a horse boarder who had the owners brutally killed so she could gain control of the farm.

So, for those who run boarding operations, do you or would you run background checks on new boarders, either to check their financial status or their criminal records?
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Well, I've run backgrounds on potential boarders just because I can and for my information. I don't want pedophiles, etc here. And if I don;'t "get a good feel" for you, you don't even get to see the place. I just say we are not accepting boarders at this time and "bye".

I think internet background checks and 3 references that the BO actually checks are good tools for screening. Would I give the BO my SS# or financial institution numbers to help the BO run rife through my financial statements, tax returns, credit history, loan and payment records, and turn over every other leaf of my personal life in order to board a horse in their barn? Absolutely not. And this is coming from someone who has paid on the first of every month for the past 20 years, has a fabulous credit score and has frozen all financial numbers so no one can take out a loan in my name. Now, if the BO wanted the name and telephone number of the bank branch I bank at, that would be fine. Three references that they actually check, not a problem. Free rein to run my name through Google and check all public records, fine by me as long as they pay for the information themselves.

However, maybe the BO would like to give me all of their numbers so I can make sure they have enough capital to run the operation, are not overextended on their mortgages and loans, have no blips on their credit records, are paid up at the vet, are not in trouble with the IRS, don't have so much as a parking ticket let alone a criminal history, and have never been charged or investigated for animal abuse. Then maybe, just maybe, I'd let them take care of my horse.

The new BO may not know or trust me, but remember, I don't know or trust them either, and they're not getting my numbers.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Unfortunately, background checks will not disclose everything.
    For example, a young woman stole from me and we(police and I) know it was her since the only other person with access to my home was her.

Can't prove it, so she has no record.

She is now working at a 7/11 type place, and obviously she made up some good story where she has been the last two years, since they never contacted me.

I would not rely on background checks, since you have to be arrested in order to make the grade. Not all crimes can have enough probable evidence to get to that level, very unfortunately.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

Quote Originally Posted by Chief2 View Post

However, maybe the BO would like to give me all of their numbers so I can make sure they have enough capital to run the operation, are not overextended on their mortgages and loans, have no blips on their credit records, are paid up at the vet, are not in trouble with the IRS, don't have so much as a parking ticket let alone a criminal history, and have never been charged or investigated for animal abuse. Then maybe, just maybe, I'd let them take care of my horse.

The new BO may not know or trust me, but remember, I don't know or trust them either, and they're not getting my numbers.
    This!! I have never stiffed a BO or a trainers. The same cannot be said in the other direction!

Eh, if I get a weird feeling from them then I do some research, but I find checking references and asking around the local horse community is usually more effective. Background checks only do any good if they have a record, and there's a lot of room for error if you don't have their social security number and all that--and personally I would not ask my boarders for their SS# as I know I wouldn't want to give it to a random BO.

I have to say, of all my fears about things boarders might do, having me brutally killed to take over my farm is not one of them. How does that even work? She must have been pretty close to them or something to expect to get the farm.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

I think if you are a heavily child centered barn, it would be a pertinent thing to do.
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

I don't ask for references.. maybe I should, but usually enough conversation allows me to get a feel for them and also where they have been in the past.. I can call past places if I want, but usually I don't.
    My interesting client should really have a reality show..the stories and total BS that comes up are incredible and I find it all pretty amusing..I am able to find it amusing specifically because they NEVER owe me money, they are not my "friend" or "buddy" so I do not extend any credit at all. Trust me, their day to day life stories and "tales from the horse world" are incredible.. and yet believable but non the less fabricated.. I think we both know that I am aware that its a lie, and they continue talking anyway.. Perhaps they are waiting for me to call them on it.. but I won't since I find it hysterically funny and wonder what amazing thing will happen next.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief2 View Post

And while we are at it, should we do background checks on the farrier, the vet and the hay man? Or for that matter should we start doing background checks on the hair stylist, the grocer, the auto mechanic, the feed store owner, the doctor, the dentist, etc, etc. I think you get my drift.

This country is going "nuts" over security and "background checks." As a former teacher, who now does substitute work, I've had my fingerprints taken and my background checked more times than most felons. -- And each check and set of fingerprints has to be done at MY expense. (SO FAR, THREE TIMES THIS SCHOOL YEAR ALONE- ONCE BY EACH SCHOOL DISTRICT FOR WHICH I SIGNED UP TO SUBSTITUTE.) And all of this is up-front expense, because they only CALL substitutes when they need them.

If a BO wanted my "numbers," I'd definitely want theirs-- and info on all their other boarders so I could check them out, too. You never know, one might be a serial killer or a terrorist. Come to think of it, the BO could be a serial killer who buries non-paying boarders in the manure pile.

But more likely, I'd just look for a place where the BO is not such a "snoop."

Point really is moot here because I don't board and don't plan to take in any boarders.

Quote Originally Posted by CosMonster View Post
    I have to say, of all my fears about things boarders might do, having me brutally killed to take over my farm is not one of them. How does that even work? She must have been pretty close to them or something to expect to get the farm.
    Uhm, yeah--what's the rest of the story? Of all the barns where I have boarded my jumper, I never once found myself thinking, "I bet if the owner mysteriously passed away, I would inherit this place... Oh yeah, lightbulb!"

Default background checks

You all know that thieves will come to a facility under the pretense of wanting to board in order to check things out. And return. And take all your stuff. A few yrs ago, I did ask visitors to sign in and they had to produce their driver's license. Haven't done that for awhile though. I am just overly protective (paranoid?). And yes, I have a large youth lesson program at my place so folks have to be screened. Even though kids are not left unattended here.

Since I am moving my young TB yet again, I will say that I have never had an issue with boarding. People know me in the area, I've worked with several trainers and showed my last two horses. If I am leaving a barn I give notice and anyone can contact my previous barn, vet or trainer.I live in a small town and people do check on you and being professional and reasonable goes a long way.

another kind of background check- Ask the (respected) current boarders individually, if they know prospective boarder and ask if there were any problems with that person in the past. Some people don't pay, Some people stir up problems. If you have a good respectable boarder, ask that boarders opinion if they know the person before allowing into the barn.

I woud think getting references would be helpful (but not always 100%) as maybe one BO would say positive things about a not so great boarder just to get rid of them (I know that sounds awful but some apartment managers have been known to do that).

I don't own a barn and don't know the first thing about running a boarding facility but spending $50 to $75 might not be a bad investment in weeding out some bad apples (although it admittedly won't weed them all out).

Nashfad, great idea to have the visitors/potential boarders provide their name and drivers license info, I think I'll suggest that to our BO.

Gad! Life is too short to live it in such a state of paranoia!

I trust my gut - I am right 90% of the time. Most people who screw me over are people i know & trust any way - so why bother?
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

I don't think too many people do background checks on boarders, but frankly in some ways it isn't a bad idea. I wouldn't be interested in financials--for one that is private info, and secondly I don't think that financial status necessarily predicts payment issues. I'd want to know about any kind of criminal background.

I agree that at first thought it seems paranoid. But boarders have a lot of access to your life: they are welcome to come and go from your property, they have access to your loved and valuable animals, to your barn, and your equipment. They also know your daily schedule, travel plans/show schedule, and can easily follow your comings and goings. They have access to your other clients, business contacts, and friends in the industry. I never had cause to consider this until a few years ago when I had a boarder start having issues with serious mental illness. I won't go into details but it was scary. Turned out there was a history of issues at other places, I would have discovered this if I had checked references from previous barns. Now I check references!

Default screening

I am not interested in financial info on potential boarders.