The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Harry Dabbs Dressage Saddle

Anyone have any experience with the Harry Dabbs saddles? Im looking into buying a new Dressage Saddle and have found one I really like unfortunately I cant try it before I buy it.. ugh! Im wanting a saddle that sits a little deeper and has bigger blocks on it.

If you can't try before you buy then forget it.

I've tried a lot of saddles and found there were more than a few that felt good when I sat it them and which looked ok on the horses back but did not work after riding in them. I was almost ready to plunk the money down on one after having one fabulous ride, but after several I realized that the position of the flaps and knee rolls wasn't going to work for me.

this reminds me of a trip I made to a well known shop in my area (locally known anyway). They have row after row of saddle, sometimes 10-15+ of the same model in different sizes and tree widths but NO demos to speak of! I don't understand why they can't have at least one demo in an average size for people to try.

Quote Originally Posted by SnicklefritzG View Post
    I don't understand why they can't have at least one demo in an average size for people to try.
    Because it probably would not fit either horse or rider, and most likely cost the store a sale. The best thing to do is to buy from a store who has a saddle fitter (or an independent fitter), who can point you to the saddle shape/size most likely to fit having seen your horse, and do any necessary alterations. It is very unlikely that you can buy off the shelf and have something that fits both horse and rider.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Have you sat in the same model as this one? if not, how do you know you like it?

if you have sat in one just like it before and liked it, buy this one if it's a good price. if it's a really good deal you can always resell it.

I've always thought of harry dabbs as being pancake flat, rock hard jumping saddles of the 70's but maybe they make uber plush dressage saddles now?
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

If it is a Jaguar, then I can tell you that when I was looking for a horse to lease a few years ago, one horse I tried came with a Jaguar saddle, and coming from my Passier, I was amazed at how comfortable it was and how easy it was to get in a good position and stay there. I didn't lease that particular horse, but I never forgot that saddle!
    Last edited by TheHorseProblem; Oct. 8, 2011 at 11:29 AM. Reason: deleted some stuff for clarity ;)
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

LOVE my Harry Dabbs dressage saddle! I have a Stockholm and it is COMFY! My horse likes it too.

Definitely a top QUALITY saddle, well-built and built to last.

Oh, and it's brown. But I love it anyway.

I have a Harry Dabbs close contact saddle that I adore. Minimalist in terms of "help" but a very soft, comfy seat. Unfortunately, it doesn't fit any of my horses, but I sure wish it did! I'd give an H.D. dressage saddle a try any day.

As already mentioned-The Jaguar line is a much better saddle.
    I had a standard HD, hated it, wide twist and flaps not a good match for my legs also found the leather on the cheap side /thick and hard to break in.
    Thankful to sell for same cost to me.