The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default So, who says everyone is shopping in Europe?

According to the YJC facebook page, only three of the top 10 breeders of young jumpers are outside of the Western Hemisphere.

"Getting down to the wire for our year-end list of leading breeders of Young Jumpers. To date, the top 10 are:
    1. Heartland Farm
    2. Kathleen Kamine & Woodpond Manor
    3. Nancy Whitehead
    4. Mevr. J. vant Oever
    5. Gestuet Lewitz
    6. European Warmblood Stallion Zentrum
    7. Mill Creek Stables
    8. Wild Turkey Farm
    9. Delia Brugmann
    10. Hidden Creek Farm"

I do not, in any way, wish you rain on anyone's parade. However, I believe those are determined based on IJF nominated YJC horses, and not just horses showing and placing in YJC classes. For example, I have an American bred Oldenburg I did some YJ's with this season. I have never been asked to list her breeder, not when I applied for her USEF number, and certainly not when I entered the classes.

Like with most things in the US, our data is often skewed one way or another.
    Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved. - William Jennings Bryan

http://www.halcyon-hill.com

Not so, buschkn, it is based on ALL horses who have competed (and earned ribbons) in over 500 YJC Qualifying classes during 2011 -- not merely IJF nominated horses or even YJC recorded horses. YJC horses have copies of their registration papers on file with YJC.

You may have done YJ classes, even a qualifier, because USEF doesn't prevent you from doing it without proof of age (don't ask!), but if your horse was YJC recorded the breeder would likely be on file.

So, rain away. These breeders really are top breeders. No excuses are needed.

Here's the top ten US Jumper Breeders from the USEF Ranking. A bit different from the Young Jumper rankings.
    Keep in mind that to be on this list the breeder needs a USEF number. Bottom line this list and the YJC mean little as most of the breeders of winning GP horses are European, don't have USEF numbers so they aren't on the list.

1 MS. JOAN IRVINE SMITH - SAN JUAN CAPISTRANO, CA

2 MS MELISSA A HIRT - MAPLE CITY, MI

3 BLAIR D CUDMORE - OMAHA, NE

4 VDL STUD - THE BEARS, NETHERLANDS

5 MS CAROL M LUSH - QUAKAKE, PA

6 KANDI STEWART - SANTA ROSA VALLEY, CA

7 MRS BARBARA C. ROWLAND - LONG VALLEY, NJ

8 DR DEBORAH P. HARRISON DVM - SAN JUAN BAUTISTA, CA

9 BANNOCKBURN FARM - PATRICKSBURG, IN

10 MRS ANN DAUM KUSTAR - OKATON, SD

Well that is super news. I am the first to be thrilled if more people are buying and showing American bred horses. I did show proof of age, but I am not sure that they kept the copy of her papers. I guess then it is for all nominated YJC participants? That is excellent. I opted not to nominate because I didn't start showing her until later in the year and didn't intend to gun for any finals with such limited mileage.

I am basing it on my experiences showing in the YJ classes (limited), as well as my observation that at least at the big shows in KY, I know there were many many successful YJ competitors who were imported from overseas and South America. It's great news that these breeders are having such success, and puts US bred horses in the spotlight. I am ALL for that!! I hope to have it be ALL US breeders one day soon, and maybe even make the list in another decade or three
    Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved. - William Jennings Bryan

http://www.halcyon-hill.com

Yes, buschkn, that's out of over 500 YJC recorded horses, not to mention the horses that compete in the odd class. YJC leading breeder stats include even the non-YJC one-ofs (provided breeder info is available via USEF or FEI or a studbook).

As to USEF leading breeder stats on GP jumpers--foreign breeders don't need to be USEF members. They just need to have a USEF ID number assigned. Lots of non-American breeders show up on the lists.

Perfect Example: #4 Jumper breeder = VDL Stud

As more and more US studbooks establish their data sharing with USEF the info will become better. This is the same issue the WBFSH has with FEI data, even German FN data is not perfect