The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Stubben Rex

My kids grew up riding in a Stubben Rex and we are looking for one - is there any way to find the age of these saddles, rather like we can with Passier's by sending in the number under the flap.

When were they last made?

I felt that the little Rex we had put the kids in an excellent position for all aspects of the balanced seat - able to do everything well, and they did not have to fight the saddle for position.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    My kids grew up riding in a Stubben Rex and we are looking for one - is there any way to find the age of these saddles, rather like we can with Passier's by sending in the number under the flap.

When were they last made?

I felt that the little Rex we had put the kids in an excellent position for all aspects of the balanced seat - able to do everything well, and they did not have to fight the saddle for position.
    Stubben

You could email them from the contact link on their website.
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

They come up regularly on eBay.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

You could send Kryswyn a PT, she knows saddles and could answer some of your questions.

The Chubby Pony recently had one in the used section. It's sold but you can figure a price range if you look at a few ads.

sold Stubben Rex 15" W made in Germany. Stubben's original children's Rex with doeskin padded flaps and moderate kneerolls. Known for generations as THE saddle to start your young equestrian in. So well balanced and secure, it places young riders in the proper seat. This saddle is a find. The German made models are hard to come by. Still in incredible condition with only some minor blemishes to the cantle. Wool flocked panels are even and soft. The underside is free of cracking and all the leather is still soft and supple. The billets are in supurb condition. The saddle measure a true 15 inches, not 15 1/2" or 15 3/4". Lots more photos by request.
    $568. Item# BL-4-101
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

LOVE that tack room in the Stubben link!

Rick's usually has several available in the used saddle section. I don't know if shipping and such would be an issue to Canada though. There are tons of them around, I'm sure it won't be hard to locate one up there.

I still have mine from 38 years ago

Ha! you must have a really teeny bum!. But it is true - they are a very well built saddle, meant to last.

There's one on eBay right now.

If you send a picture to Buddy Baird at Stubben (buddy@stubbennorthamerica.com), he'll give you an idea of the saddle's age.

Buddy is awesome, he gave the the low down on my Siegfried.

I already did - thanks to link above - and he's already answered! I'm pretty loyal to that little saddle.

Thank you for thinking of me ETBW They are nice little saddles, but as with every Stubben, you have to consider the shape of the child going into it. A tall skinny child, or a child with a weight normal for height will likely do well in a Rex. Chubby short legged kids may be put in a 'chair' seat that they cannot achieve forward balance in.

Like every Stubben they will have the serial number and tree width stamped on the original girth guard. If that's lost, you still might find a mark on the stirrup bar.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"