The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Myler bit and running or standing martingale?

I wasn't sure where to post this as it's not really discipline specific.

Tomorrow I'm renting a Myler MB 02 D ring with hooks. http://www.bahrsaddlery.com/sb-produ...0&category=154

My question is when I use the hooks can I also use a running martingale? Or should I just use a standing? I would prefer to use a running over a standing, as I will be hunting and I would rather my mare to be able to use her head/neck as a 5th leg if need be. And I'm not sure if a standing martingale would allow that as easily as a running.

Thanks in advance!

Hunh, I didn't know you could rent bits!

To your question, the ad says the bit is for a horse with little or no training, I wouldn't use a standing or running. I'm out of the loop but '5th leg'?? Why not teach her from the get-go about balance instead of relying on a crutch? I may not be understanding the question but it seems to me you might be overfacing your horse a bit, considering the equipment and your statement.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

The use of the "hooks" turns the bit into a gag like action, changing the pressure onto more of the corners of the mouth rather than the bars. This acts to raise the head. Use of a running martingale sets the bit down onto the bars. So the use of these two items at once is incongruent, and in opposition to each other. Some people seem to WANT this, but IMO, such incongruent pressures are confusing to the horse. A confused horse is an unhappy horse, and an unhappy horse can easily become an angry horse. Best to try to avoid this. Either you want to raise his head, or lower it. Not both.

I do not use a Myler with hooks, I do use the simple D Myler, but not with a running martingale, only a standing martingale if necessary. The feel that a Myler bit gives you is so soft, that I would not like any interference at all on the reins that a running martingale would give you. The use of the Myler bit is an exercise in "giving away feel", softening of the jaw and hand simultaneously. If you are expecting a pulling match with your horse on a hunt, go with another bit, a regular gag if that is what you want to try. (Always use two reins on a gag, a running rein and a regular snaffle rein). Or add leverage, in some sort of pelham.

Quote Originally Posted by goneriding24 View Post
    To your question, the ad says the bit is for a horse with little or no training, I wouldn't use a standing or running.
    No comment on the combination of Myler with hooks and martingale but... One thing to remember about Myler is that they are oriented towards the Western world, where horses that go in a snaffle are generally young/green and the goal is to get the horse into a curb. Very different from the "sport" world where "finished" horses often go in snaffles. The MB02 mouthpiece, without hooks, is legal for dressage.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by 1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Quote Originally Posted by goneriding24 View Post
    Hunh, I didn't know you could rent bits!

To your question, the ad says the bit is for a horse with little or no training, I wouldn't use a standing or running. I'm out of the loop but '5th leg'?? Why not teach her from the get-go about balance instead of relying on a crutch? I may not be understanding the question but it seems to me you might be overfacing your horse a bit, considering the equipment and your statement.
    Perhaps you missed where I said I'm taking the mare hunting. 5th leg means that if she stumbles etc she can stretch her neck out fully to rebalance herself. It has nothing to do with using a standing martingale as a crutch or teaching her balance. Some people think standing martingales prevent horses from using their neck as a '5th leg' if need be. I'm not overfacing my horse.

She regularily goes in a french link eggbutt. But with the excitment of the hounds, and 30 other horses she needs a bit more brakes than her regular bit.

And you can rent bits to see if they suit your horse before you buy it.

If you are expecting a pulling match with your horse on a hunt, go with another bit, a regular gag if that is what you want to try.
    The Myler MB 02 with hooks was recommended to me for my mare by the fieldmaster we were out hunting with. She finds it works great for horses who don't like the action of curb bits (which my mare doesn't), while still maintaining a soft mouth (which my mare has under normal circumstances ie. not hunting).

But thanks for clarifying whether a running could be used with a myler with hooks. I didn't think it could because I thought the running martingale may interfere with the action of the bit while used with the hooks. But it never hurts to ask.

It is Hunt season and OP is not going to spend weeks training...not to mention the only way you can teach a horse manners in a field of excited, galloping Hunters on a crisp fall morning is...in a field of excited galloping Hunters on a crisp fall morning. Plus the fieldmaster recommended the bit based
    on what has worked in their extensive experience in a field of excited Hunters.

I vote properly adjusted standing, that is it's traditional use.

Mylar has a substantial number of bits in any Hunter Jumper tack room-I used one of their "comfort snaffles" on my own to show in-no hooks, no excited galloping group of 30 Hunters involved.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

I personally would never use a standing martingale when jumping or riding cross-country due to safety concerns.

I don't think that bit will give you much more brakes than a regular snaffle- the fixed position of the reins turns the snaffle into a very mild kimberwicke-type leverage (curb) bit.
    I disagree with the poster who said this bit will have a gag action- it won't. The mouthpiece can't slide like a gag bit. It's a curb-type bit. Which tends to lower the horses head. And shouldn't be used with a running martingale, which should only be used on a snaffle action rein.

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    It is Hunt season and OP is not going to spend weeks training...not to mention the only way you can teach a horse manners in a field of excited, galloping Hunters on a crisp fall morning is...in a field of excited galloping Hunters on a crisp fall morning. Plus the fieldmaster recommended the bit based
    on what has worked in their extensive experience in a field of excited Hunters.

I vote properly adjusted standing, that is it's traditional use.

Mylar has a substantial number of bits in any Hunter Jumper tack room-I used one of their "comfort snaffles" on my own to show in-no hooks, no excited galloping group of 30 Hunters involved.
    Thanks for backing me up!

I think I will go in the standing martingale. We will not be jumping anytime soon, and by the time we do hopefully my mare will have figured out hunting and be back to her normal relaxed self and not need a martingale.

We're going to a learn-to-hunt clinic this weekend. So I think it will be a good place to try out the bit and martingale. (before anyone jumps on me, yes I will try this combo before going to the hunting clinic).

I'll report back on the hunting forum how the hunt clinic goes.

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    I personally would never use a standing martingale when jumping or riding cross-country due to safety concerns.

I don't think that bit will give you much more brakes than a regular snaffle- the fixed position of the reins turns the snaffle into a very mild kimberwicke-type leverage (curb) bit.
    I disagree with the poster who said this bit will have a gag action- it won't. The mouthpiece can't slide like a gag bit. It's a curb-type bit. Which tends to lower the horses head. And shouldn't be used with a running martingale, which should only be used on a snaffle action rein.
    About the first paragraph, since I'm western, I'm not a fan of any sort of tie-down (standing or running) due to possibly getting caught on something and causing a big wreck. I didn't see how it could be a gag either.
    Last edited by goneriding24; Oct. 5, 2011 at 01:20 PM. Reason: rephrasing things
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

It's a gag because it pulls UP in the horse's mouth with pressure from the reins. Add a curb chain/strap and it becomes a curb instead with leverage. Without the curb chain/strap, it's a gag.

well i don't know what action it has, but so far it's working . The real test will be this weekends learn to hunt clinic.

I use that same bit on my very hot arab with a running martingale. The best combo I have found for him so far.

I too debated whether to use the hooks (you mean the curb chain, right?) and finally decided against it because he goes well without it and I was afraid the addition of the chain and the pull of the running martingale would be too severe, although I may try it eventually.

I have several myler bits and my horses seem to be very comfortable in them.

No curb chain, Rackon. The cheeks pieces are through the top hook and the reins are through the bottom hook. I hope that configuration is right. There is a little hole right next to the hook for the cheek piece. Perhaps this is where a curb chain can go if needed/wanted? It seems to be working ok. Mare seems happy. If the bit works well during the excitement of the hunt field I'll purchase the bit. But, I'll keep using her eggbutt frenchlink snaffle for when we're not hunting.