The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Excited/Opinions/name help!-added video/update question

Just got a call from a friend...I've been DROOLING over this guy ever since she brought him home. 16.2 2006 OTTB, super super sane and easy going with a complete in your pocket puppy dog personality, she just doesn't have time and her job requires too much traveling.

Anyway, hoping to pick him up next week, he's had 45 days of western training, chiro, farrier, and vet work and been off the track a year, AND hubby is more excited then I am (he's tired of my bay mares...).

One bad thing, his name has to GO! Buddha Bunt *shudder*

So barn/show names?

and of course...some horrible crappy pictures...
    feeding time

trot

canter
    Last edited by Jumper_girl221; Oct. 18, 2011 at 12:36 PM.

Buddy for a barn name? He sounds like he will be your buddy. And it's close to Buddha. Not sure for show name.

Is he out of the grey stallion Buddha, who won the Wood Memorial? If so, I'd definitely keep the first half of the name!

Buddha is by Unbridled's Song, so maybe the second word could be musical... or yoga-related (Konasana, Navasana, Simhasana, Tadasana....)
    "Go on, Bill — this is no place for a pony."

^ Yes he is, BY Buddha, out of Raw Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper_girl221 View Post
    ^ Yes he is, BY Buddha, out of Raw Gold
    I'd go with something in the Hindi language —like Buddha Sunhala (golden buddha) or Kundan Buddha (pure gold buddha).
    "Go on, Bill — this is no place for a pony."

He's a real looker, congrats!

Golden Buddha :-)
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

Thanks!

A friend suggested Bodie (Bodie Island Lighthouse here in NC). I just really don't like "Buddha", guess its that conservative Christian background coming through.

Plus when I look at him...I don't see fat man statue at all...

Knowing me though, id be tempted to just change that 't' to an 's' and giggle every time I told ppl my horse's name was Buddha Buns..
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

LOL.

her original suggestion was Bodhi and his show name Awakening (the sanskrit translation) which I actually really liked.

Eek! I'm SO EXCITED! I haven't had a grey since my teen years and I have a fond spot in my heart for them. Of course...I'm probably romanticizing it in my head and will soon be thankful for my solid bays come the first few horse shows and the endless scrubbing that will entail.

Gorgeous!! Congrats.

Bodhi and Awakening are great suggestions!! I'd go with those, at least in the meantime... But they're definitely potential keeper names in my book.
    And yes, congrats!
    (he does listen!)

He is gorgeous!! Congrats.

So I got him home, and OMG LOVE his personality. He's super sweet friendly, and really is a very chill guy. Took a dog to get him riled up enough to get some trot footage (you don't WANT to see the canter...running after him did NOT give the smoothest footage).

Any way...he has a slight "twist" behind, walks almost like a model on the cat walk. He's straight in the front, but his rear is, odd. Almost like he's paddling in the rear, and I can't tell if he's slightly off behind. Had a few people tell me he's fine, just needs to build up some muscle back there....but what does he look like to you guys?

He's also barefoot and came from a sandy farm to my rocky hard place.

Video literally right off the trailer (I turned him out in the riding ring for a bit)
    http://youtu.be/jEeds5YVuko

Semi Confo shot. That was a total PITA, he kept turning to face me

Trotting around the riding ring. Yeah, he's thin, one of the reasons his prev. owner practically gave him to me. She's out of town a lot and the sitter wasn't pulling him out to eat and he gets picked on

And his reaction to the peacocks. About 20 seconds later he put his head down and started grazing...

OMG, can you say GOOOORRRRRRRGGGGGEEEEEEOOOOOUUUUUUUUS? No WONDER you're drooling! I am, too!

he's super cute.

Bodie-licious
    Hail Buddha
    Free Bodie
    aaahahahahaa!

In Cahoots

I think if he were mine I'd name him "In Cahoots"

there are only 3 listed in all breeds.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

He's lovely.

Wouldn't let the twist bother you too much, lots of horses have it or something like it. It does put a little more stress on the hocks so keep an eye on him for hock soreness as he ages. I had one that twisted behind, did nothing but he did get injected a few times in his teens. I fed him Cosequin but I usually do, nothing special in that. I don't see soreness now personally. I wouldn't expect it to go away -- might, might not.

If it DOES bother you, I'll take him off your hands!

I like Bodie, like the kid in the Wire.
    Last edited by fordtraktor; Oct. 18, 2011 at 02:20 PM.

My OTTB had a little wonky hind end issue. Also not a lot of muscle. It was the first thing she fixed when she got him so that he would develop properly and learn to carry himself. Good luck, he is very pretty.

Thanks! Pheww, I was a bit worried about it.

What do you all see him doing, hunters, jumpers, or? (mostly on the local level of course). I almost thought hunters...but wasn't sure if the judge would count the twisting against him, or if he would be better off doing something he could be booted for.

Stolen Virtue is "she" your chiro? This guy has been seen 8-10 times (would need to look at his records again) and his last two visits were "no issues, holding his adjustments", the last one on 9-26, so I don't know if anything could be "fixed". I'll get my girl to look at him when she's out again, but I've a feeling what I see is what I get adjustment wise...now maybe he'll get better with strength?

Fordtraktor-thanks. I'm starting him on Corta flx (I do with all my OTTB's), but I'll def. keep an eye on it! He was doing some changes playing around Saturday, so I don't "think" he's sore now? They were nice deliberate changes too! No rushed motorcycle changes you sometimes see with the babies.