The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default E-bay vs. Consignment for selling used saddle(s)

I really need a saddle for my new mare. I have 3 english saddles and am willing to part with 1 or 2 in order to find a suitable one for the mare. I've had an ad on craigslist for some time with no bites. I have them priced as low as I'm willing to go. I've done comparisons and am 25% less than comparable saddles on e-bay and other consignment shops...was hoping for a quick sale but it's not happening.

I swore off e-bay because I had a bad experience with a crazy buyer. I really don't want to have to deal with the hassle of returns but I'm guessing that most buyers will want a trial period. But I feel like it will get the biggest audience. E-bay and paypal will of course extract their pound of flesh for the sale though.

Consignment shops are going to take 25%. That's probably what the e-bay/paypal fees will work out to in the long run. I've only consigned one saddle before and it took forever to sell. I really would like to move at least one saddle quickly so I can get something suitable.

Do I have any other options? Are there saddle shops that will take a trade? I have them listed on bits and barter as well. I may just pick up the phone and start calling places to see if they take trades. I'm very motivated but I'm not willing to just give the saddles away...I need to make enough to get the replacement. All 3 are very nice, well-known brands.

eBay is the way to go. Their final value fee tops out at $50. I sold a County for $2,500 & would have had to pay the local consignment $600.

The listing fee was free at the time & the paypal fee was tiny.
    "Dressage" is just a fancy word for flatwork

What kind of saddles? We sold a Collegiate close contact on on of the USEA (Area II, I think) classifieds. Got a great price for it.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

2 Albions and a Jaguar. I really hate to go back to e-bay as I feel they bend over backwards for buyers and offer zero protection for sellers, but I am really leaning that way.

I think I may just put them on there as buy it now only and avoid having to worry about getting lowball bids through auction. I really need a new saddle but I would rather just keep these for future use or for my daughter/niece to grow into rather than selling them for a couple hundred bucks a piece. I couldn't replace them for what I'm asking.

I think I will still call a few places and see if I can work a trade but it looks like e-bay might be the way to go.

Are USEA classifieds free? I've never gotten anything from that site but I have a friend who has gotten some nice horses through there.

I have bought and sold a fair number of saddles on ebay with no issues, but the protection is far better for the buyer. As a seller it can be very frustrating.
    eFarriers.com is comprehensive directory of farriers from across the United States and Canada featuring full-page farrier profiles with biographies, photos, training and qualifications.

I would look for other on-line outlets. I have had very bad experiences with eBay both as a buyer and a seller.

I actually had great luck selling two saddles and bridles as well as other unneeded horse stuff on craigslist. The listings are free, and you can arange to meet the prospective buyer at a neutral high traffic area if you don't want them coming to your place or you don't want to go to theirs.

The best thing of all about CL is there are NO FEES at all. You do have to be careful and I ask for payment in cash or by USPS money order.

Patricia at fineusedsaddles.com will probably take your Albions--and her commission is only 20%. She takes great pictures and based on her web site it seems like she turns her inventory over fairly quickly. I have bought from her and she is great.
    Right now, I think EBay is a great place to buy a saddle--not such a good place to sell one. Good luck!

How would you look up a saddle on crsigslist - under which keyword? Farm? Sports?
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

have sold a bunch of saddles on ebay, none for more than $600 so not real high end, but that's my first stop. Consignment takes forvever... if you're in no hurry it's a good option

I also sell alot on Virginiaequestrian.com... you don't say where you're located, but I sold two saddles easily on there, no fees at all

Quote Originally Posted by moonriverfarm View Post
    How would you look up a saddle on crsigslist - under which keyword? Farm? Sports?
    In "For Sale" under "Farm and Garden." Do include pictures-- even bad ones. That will always make me look at a CL posting.

Also, how about Tacktrader?: http://www.tacktrader.com/

You get a national audience, a fixed listing fee (I believe) and you can add a picture for $10 or so.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Ugh- I have a Klimke dressage saddle that I've had forever that I really should just sell since my horse has let's just say rounded out in retirement. I just don't want to deal with ebay or pay the commission. It looks so pretty on it's nice wooden stand in the family room too. Let us know what you do and how it works!

I just sold a saddle on ebay. The issue is you pay two fees depending on how you do payment. Ebay and Paypal both charge I ended up paying close to $90.

How are people handling safe payment? I have other items to sell. Craigslist is nothing but scammer emails in my area.
    \"You have two choices when a defining moment comes along - you can either define the moment, or let the moment define you.\" Tin Cup

I love Ebay. Things go quickly unless you're asking WAY too much, and I sel EVERYTHING with no returns final sale. They can insist on a return if you've misrepresented the saddle.

Quote Originally Posted by Far_North_Equestrian View Post
    I love Ebay. Things go quickly unless you're asking WAY too much, and I sel EVERYTHING with no returns final sale. They can insist on a return if you've misrepresented the saddle.
    No trial period either -

I just sold a sidesaddle, no responses on CL or a sidesaddle website -had it listed for a couple of weeks. Put it as a "buy it now" or an auction with reserve on ebay. It was gone with someone using the "buy it now" option within an hour of putting it up!

I spend the extra fifty cents to make the ad pretty and be able to show lots of photos, I take good photos and I condition the saddle prior to taking those photos. I have a nice background for my photos (not my dirty laundry basket, if you know what I mean). My ad looks classy, I check spelling and make sure I have all my facts right.
    Luistano Stallion standing for 2013: Wolverine UVF
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IZPHDzgX3s

Tack Trader or Horse Clicks. I sold my Bates on there pretty quickly. I didn't offer a trial on it, and was clear about that up front, unless the buyer was very local and I accompanied the saddle.

I had put the same saddle on Ebay and it didn't sell.

You can search ALL of craigslist as well, not just regions or categories. Just enter craigslist.org and whatever you are searching for in the Google bar.

So "craigslist.org 17.5 jumping saddle" got me hits from Milwaukee, Madison, Grand Rapids and Riverside. Doesn't matter where it is, the perfect saddle can be shipped .
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl