The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Trailer Divider?

I have a straight load 2 horse aluminum trailer with an aluminum half divider. My young horse kicks and I am concerned she'll hurt herself. I've padded the rear post, but she gets her right hind leg on the other side of it sometimes when she kicks (under the divider, not over it). I am thinking about having it changed to a full padded divider. I don't think this will be a pboblem with width as the trailer is X high/x wide. Any thoughts? Pros/cons? Thanks.

I like my divider that goes all the way down to the floor. It's way heavy, but it keeps them from getting a leg onto the wrong side and getting stomped on. I just don't try to remove it

I have seen them fixed with plywood so it goes to the floor. If she is tfat bad, i guess she could put her leg through it. I would not do it but it would make it lighter for you moving it, if you do.

How old is the mare? Are you planning on trailering often? Safety is a good thing, I would also try to figure out why she is kicking. She can do a lot of damage to herself even with a divider, cap her hocks, break a bone etc.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

Not sure who makes them, but some of the trailers have a swinging panel, of rubber or plastic under the half divider. Seems like it was referred to as "the stallion stall" on a slant load.

I would never want a full divider that goes to the ground. It prevents the horse spreading legs wide enough for turns and curves. You can make a good rider into a trailer fighter.

The swinging panel in the lower part of divider seems to allow legs to spread out, but prevent horse hurting themselves kicking while inside. The panel takes the impact, gives some, but horse doesn't get the impact of a solid blow.

Ask around, maybe you can locate the makers of the stallion stall dividers for checking out. Padding the upright holding the divider with pool noodles or pipe wrap to make her a deep cushion for if horse really hits it hard.

Years ago I had a horse slip and go under the divider and the horse next to her stepped on her leg and broke her splint bone....

I now fear to trailer more than one horse. I also replaced the mats and keep fresh shavings on the floor.

With a floor divider or with a half divider or with no divider at all, things can happen.

If I had a kicking horse I would probably trailer horse by herself and not use a divider at all.
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

Haul the horse loose in a stock trailer or take all your partitions out if you can. It is hard for the horse to kick and balance at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by goodhors View Post
    I would never want a full divider that goes to the ground. It prevents the horse spreading legs wide enough for turns and curves. You can make a good rider into a trailer fighter....
    Funny, mine all self-load into my horrific trailer with full divider. I've hauled 4 different horses in that trailer frequently, and none of them ever acted up or refused to load. My mare used to be an awful loader until I bought that trailer actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Hampton Bay View Post
    Funny, mine all self-load into my horrific trailer with full divider. I've hauled 4 different horses in that trailer frequently, and none of them ever acted up or refused to load. My mare used to be an awful loader until I bought that trailer actually.
    Well, I have been in the truck with a friend whose horse threw a fit with the full divider, got really tore up. And trying to control the truck while trailer was bounding about was no fun either! That horse rode fine in my trailer with the half divider.

Then there was looking at used trailers with the scrape marks on both sides, from horses climbing the dividers or trying to keep their footing because they couldn't spread out. Walls were literally in splinters from the shoes clawing them. Lots of other examples in my past of problems with full dividers.

Glad to hear your horses like your trailer and divider, better than the other choice for them!

I used to have a little 2H straight load bumper pull with a full divider, and I loved it. I don't think I'd ever be comfortable hauling two horses in a side-by-side without a full divider for fear of someone getting stomped on.

My old gelding would load himself, haul quietly, etc. The gelding I leased wasn't a good hauler, hence the reason I'd never haul two horses without a full divider. If I hadn't had that full divider I'd hate to think of the damage he would have done. It didn't matter what kind of trailer he was in, he just liked to stomp around and act like a fool unless we were moving. He'd load and unload quietly, but at stop lights or signs he'd start acting up.

I don't see how being able to spread their legs overrides safety of a horse getting a leg on the other side and getting stepped on. Pretty sure they will be able to figure out how to balance without standing with their legs spread out. The lady I rode with would put two horses side-by-side in her big stock trailer, no divider, but they were so packed they couldn't spread out or kick and she didn't have problems.

Does your trailer have the manger built in at the head, or can she drop her head down?

Quote Originally Posted by runNjump86 View Post
    IDoes your trailer have the manger built in at the head, or can she drop her head down?

I don't like those mangers either. Had a horse go up into it years ago.

I want cameras in my trailer so I can see what those goof balls are doing in the back while Im driving. Or should I say to them when the trailer starts moving around, "don't make me come back there!!"
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

My Kingston 2-horse had a wooden divider down to the ground. First time out with it my horse ripped a hind shoe off trying to balance. My bf then made it into a half divider which my horse then broke in half (and horse is no stranger to the trailer...lots of miles on the road). We ended up just taking the divider out to be on the safe side. He's not a kicker but tends to scrape the walls when balancing around turns if he doesn't have enough room.

I don't see how being able to spread their legs overrides safety of a horse getting a leg on the other side and getting stepped on. Pretty sure they will be able to figure out how to balance without standing with their legs spread out. The lady I rode with would put two horses side-by-side in her big stock trailer, no divider, but they were so packed they couldn't spread out or kick and she didn't have problems.

I can tell you that they DONT figure this out if they aren't comfortable. I had a mare who BENT the divider w/ her right side and scraped the outside of her hock on the wall while scrambling to keep her balance - and I had a divider that only went 2/3 of the way down... She's happier in a slant; doesn't move hardly a muscle...

I strongly prefer a slant or open stock load as well, but if your trailer is a 2H straight load and replacing it is not an option, then you have to improvise.

Mangers at the head are HORRIBLE. That was the type of trailer I had for a few years, and one time I let someone borrow it (and last, mind you) they were stupid enough to try and tie the horse with a LUNGE LINE because she didn't want to get in, and chase her into the trailer. Amazing thing was, the entire top portion of the manger was curled up like a taco, yet nobody would admit to what happened. Not please.

If your horse is kicking to be a turd, then a full divider will be safer. If she's downright nervous in the trailer, and you can't replace it, work with her on it until she's not. It will take awhile. My gelding would shake in our old trailer (sold it with the intent of getting a stock trailer, and now that I don't have a trailer I wish i had it back...) but he eventually got comfortable in it. He was better when he had a high-miles horse with him that would stand like a statue. Positive energy/mindset would rub off on him.