The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Exceed

My 22yr old horse was given Exceed (antibiotic) for a girth infection., in two doses a week apart. The first dose went fine and the girth area started to heal. the second dose was a week later. Three days after that dose,both sides of horses neck swelled up like a football. Now, he can't lower his neck to graze. Vet put him on antihistimines and gave him a shot of dex and banamine. It' now a week later and neck still sore--swelling down a lilttle bit. My neighbor said the same thing happend to her horse several years ago (same antibiotic) and it took 3 weeks to heal. Anyone have this problem and if so , how long did it take to heal? His girth area is all healed.

My horse just got an injection of exceed and is scheduled for her second on monday. my vet said he's seen one reaction where a horse developed severe swelling similar to what you're describing but it was at the injection site. He gave my horse her shot in the rear b/c of the risk for swelling, etc. she hasn't had any issues so my fingers are crossed. Was your horse given the injection in his neck?

Exceed is a long term, oil based antibiotic. Sometimes it causes injection site reactions.

As long as there is no fever or drainage, he should be fine. Just keep an eye on it, and if he develops a fever or drainage, call the vet.

Used Exceed on a horse with a horrible infection in his fetlock from an old puncture wound - had tried several others without success. Horse was so lame we thought we would have to put him down.

First two injection sets were fine but saw some swelling on one side of his neck after the third set. (Be sure you are giving a "dose" in two syringes, one on each side of their neck)

That said, I would use it again in a heartbeat because not only did it save this horse when nothing else worked, it also seemed to help his chronic lymphangitis issues.

My 2 year old gelding was lethargic with a temp of 103.3. Considering an infection, the vet administered a dose of Exceed antibiotic at two sites on the right side of his neck. Within minutes he was trying to rub his head, his lips were swollen and small bumps appeared on his chest and belly. Less than 10 minutes later, his eyes were swollen shut and his nostrils nearly closed. There was pronounced swelling along his abdomen and he was covered in hives. The vet quickly administered epinephrine and steroids and very slowly, the swelling subsided. His eyes are still puffy some 12 hours later and there is a strange bulls eye around the site of the injections.

His stool was fine this evening, he drank plenty of water, ate well and the fever is gone but I am waiting to see if this long-acting antibiotic might have additional side effects before it exits his system.

I felt his life was in danger if not for the fast actions of my vet. If I had administered the injection, I would not have had the drugs to counter the anaphylactic shock he was experiencing.

I will never use this antibiotic again and suggest anyone unsure how their horse might react, refrain from using. I am unsure what if any long term effect it may have on him.

How Excede is administered is really, really important.

I believe the package insert says to not give more than 20 ccs in one location. My vet has found that to be very generous.

She gives about 3 ccs in each location. Yes, three. Insert needle, inject three 3ccs, redirect toward the tail, another 3 ccs, redirect toward the head, another 3 ccs. Pull needle OUT, move forward 3 inches or so, insert needle again, another 3cc, redirect back, 3cc, redirect forward, 3 cc (or remainder of dose. IIRC, our dose was 17 ccs.) Next dose (in four or six days, depending on where you are) use the other side of the neck.

We also gave banamine IV on day of injection.

We had Seven on Excede for about a month with ZERO neck soreness or injection site swelling.

I've used Excede on 3 horses. Two were completely fine, one developed diarrhea so we didn't do the second dose. I think it's a wonderful antibiotic when used correctly. Horses can have allergic reactions to any drug (or anything for that matter).
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

I too would use Excede again if the condition warranted but it is critical to administer it as indicated - I don't know if it was the cause of the bad reaction but I would not have given 2 shots on the same side of the neck.

I have a horse in my barn today who owes his life to Excede and if he had been given it earlier in his injury, I believe it could have kept him from being retired prematurely.

I have used Exceed also and its critical how and where its administered. My Vet had experienced poor response with neck injections and swelling; so the vet group now gives Exceed injections in lower chest area and one dose is broken into two different shots in that area. This is what was done with my mare and within 36-48 she had what look like udders on her lower chest and walked stiff when coming out of stall for 1st two days after swelling developed but with work she loosened up each day. After first couple days she wasn't stiff anymore but swellings did take another week to go away and looked strange with little udder like swollen spots on her lower chest that left loose skin as it went away - looked like she need horse bra for a few days.

Horse at my barn got Exceed when he caught strangles, then choked and
    the choke didn't get caught for 2 days. Vets suspected that the poor
    horse was starting with aspiration pneumonia from the choke which didn't
    get picked up on by the substitute barn help. (And this is why I am moving
    my horse ...).

Sick horse got 3 shots. It really made a huge difference. This horse
    is not easy for a vet with a helper to give meds to, and I wasn't sure that
    he would actually get the oral antibiotics in his feed - so this seemed like
    the best route. No way I could give him shots by myself, and because of
    the strangles I didn't want to ask any horsey friends to come out and help.

He got the shots in his butt, and the vet gave it to him partially on each
    side, and redirected the needle as others have said. He had no reaction
    other than being sore at the injection site for the day after.

But so worth it for this guy - it totally did the trick. I had never heard of
    Exceed before but will def do it again if the situation warrented it.

FWIW, the administration I described above caused NO SORENESS. No swelling, no soreness. It's a bit of work, but it DOES work. Or it worked for us, and my vet said she always does it that way and has excellent results.

And we gave Seven a LOT of Excede, so she had plenty of time to get sore from it

But if you DO NOT want the risk of soreness or swelling, and you're willing to spend some more dollars and give injections daily, Naxcel is the same drug and can go IM (or IV). I've also never had any soreness with Naxcel.

(My vet also said that there are some areas of the country where she just wouldn't use Excede [or presumably Naxcel, although we did not discuss] because she just saw waaaaaay too many gut-type reactions in horses there. I thought that was interesting and wondered about the regional differences in, perhaps, gut bacteria. But that is just my musing and an interesting side note.)

Side note: Excede is cephalexin, which is related to penicillin. People who are sensitive to either of those drugs need to be careful with it. Learned that one the hard way...