The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone else have a mare who is 'better' when she's in season ?

My mare is usually a very friendly girl - she always comes up to the gate when
    she sees me, she always likes to work. Sometimes she likes to work a little too
    much as she can be strong when we're riding off the property. Not 'run away'
    with me strong, just eager to go and always wanting to go a little faster. She
    lets me know when she is feeling good !

But when she's in season, she's more mellow. When I ride with other people,
    she's all about business and shows no interest in any of the other horses.
    But if we stop to play in the stream, she flirts with everyone. She's not in
    such a hurry when we're riding out, she's happier to stand in the barn aisle and
    be fussed over ...

I've never met another mare that's like that. Most are crankier, more herd
    bound, less agreeable ... but not my girl. She's normally a pretty agreeable
    horse, but when she's in season she's more mellow.

So, is any else's mare actually MORE fun to be around when it's her time of the
    month ?

Red face

Uummmm...NO, nodda, nope.....not my mare.

Gwennie was all business under saddle when in heat--way more agreeable and easy. When NOT under saddle, well, she was a normal mare.
    Click here before you buy.

My mare is mellower while in season too, normally. Very easy, polite and much more relaxed. Except yesterday. Yesterday she was a screaming monster the whole time I rode her, was stiff and obviously not comfortable. Hmmm. She gets the day off today, will re-evaluate tomorrow. Something's up.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

years ago I had a mare that was a little brighter when in season and it helped at shows because normally she was so quiet.

Wow my mare must be the odd one ... not many people chimed in !

I'm moving her to a new farm on Wednesday, and I dropped some of my
    stuff off today. Everyone was like 'Oh you are the one with the mare'.
    They were all super nice but it was almost as if they felt sorry for me LOL.

It's not that she isn't opinionated about things in general, she certainly is.
    But surprisingly she is more mellow and agreeable when it's 'that time' of the
    month for her.

Mine! Mine!

I was just telling somebody about this the other day, and they did not believe me.

When not in season, my mare is a freaking firecracker. Nothing terrible, just lots of go go go. When in season, mellow as can be (though she does like to stop and wink at the boys undersaddle. That can be annoying. And embarassing.)

When not in season girthy as he!!. Also would rather eat me for dinner than be brushed. In season, I can groom her all day long and jack the girth up all at once with nary an ear twitch.

So strange.

Glad she's not the only one!

One of my friends has a mare that's normally a firecracker. Given free rein, she'll head for the hills. Held back, she'll fret herself into a sweaty lather. She's a much better ride when she's in heat. She's busy looking for potential suitors instead of potential horse eating rocks. Makes for a much more pleasant day, as long as you don't mind her stopping to pee every half mile!