The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Weymouth and the tiny mouth

My TB is going to be ready to start thinking seriously about the occasional use of a double bridle soon but I'm semi freaked at the thought because of the tiny space he has in there to fit a bit

After YEARS of searching for his holy grail bit, he's decided this is his favorite; a myler loose ring french link. It seems the myler bits run about 11mm. He has a low palate, narrow bit seat, fat tongue, and medium lips.
    All the weymouth bits I'm finding are 15mm and larger, and I know based on our snaffle experiences he's not going to dig that (well I shouldn't assume, but I don't see how a weymouth would make that reaction different)... and virtually all of them have some sort of port, or are $250 (which I don't mind if he agrees it's a comfy fit)

I can't be the only person with a horse ready for a double that has no space for bits out there. What would you suggest?
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

A horse at my barn has a thin thin curb, so thier avaiilable somewhere

my advice hit the webs

equestrian collections, horseloverz. Dressage extensions
    Beyond the Ring-para dressage, training, coaching
    www.facebook.com/btrparadressage

Proud Team Four Star Minion! Renegade for Life!

well drat. it's probably hard to find because anything smaller than 14mm seems to be illegal per the USEF.

Happy mouth makes a curb

not sure what the thickness actually is, but dover seems to have something here: http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_x1-0154

Default Dressage Extensions

Check out Dressage Extensions. They have pony sized bradoons and curbs now. Dewsberry (sp?) also makes thin bits including weymouths. I'm years away from a double with my 4 year old WB but she has a tiny mouth also; 4 3/4 or 5" thin snaffle. Right now I have her in a Stubben double jointed bradoon. Hopefully with the FEI pont stuff now more manufacturers will start making smaller, thinner bits. Good luck and let us know what you end up with. Maude
    "You post all your drama on Facebook and get mad when people judge you? You're a special kind of stupid, aren't you?"

that one from dover is the only one I've found. my only concern with ordering that one (other than the nightmare that is ordering from dover ) is the 5.5" shank is going to look crazy long on my TB's cob head
    I just wish they posted what mm thickness they are.

Dressage extensions has a 12MM curb i believe page 5 of bits and they say the size of mouthpiece for each curb

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

My first question is, "Why?" Are you moving up to PSG? If not, don't bother yet. If so, then start saving your money for a custom bit. Seriously, if you have a horse with a smaller mouth and lower palate, save your money and go custom. You'll spend a fortune on other bits and none of the off the rack ones will work.

People will make a ton of suggestions out here, but you're going to have a hard time. If you have to go thin, you'll also need a lower port. You'll also have to be SUPER kind with your hands. Then you have the bradoon and need room for that. You can usually find something small enough in a bradoon, but that's a hard one too--depending on the type of snaffle you use now.

I could suggest a bunch of stuff I tried with my old TB and with my current horse and his lower palate and NO room in his mouth (but at least a more standard width on his mouth). You're better off with a custom fit to make your horse happy--and only change if you're going to be COMPETING at the FEI levels. Otherwise, stick with the snaffle.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

@Velvet: I'm curious, which companies do custom?

Sorry for the hijack!

Even if you do intend to show FEI, you can show at national shows in a snaffle. The double isn't required until CDIs. I've gotten some pretty good scores at PSG in my snaffle.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

For custom you have to go to the ones that normally do mostly western. You'll need to ensure you are following the standards (USEF), but if they are good, they can make what you need. You might need to try some other bits to get an idea of what kinda-sorta fits and work from there. If they're local, you can work with them more closely.

Here's one place is like the places I'm talking about (I know some places that are very small shops that will do bits based on your description even if they don't normally make bits.) http://grissombits.com/custombits.html

The bits on the site are western, but you can have a lot of places like this make something that fits your needs.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Thanks Velvet!
    I'm glad I don't have to go thru such process...at least that is one thing my mare doesn't need custom...because if ordering a custom bit is as annoying than ordering a custom saddle... LoL

As for the OP, look at Neue Schule bits. I remember they had some thinner bits there.

The Dover curb is something like 14mm... I don't remember for sure, but the picture shows what it looks like on a horse with a cob-size head (entirely different purpose, of course).

Neue Schule may have something... Also try looking at bits in UK stores - I feel they tend to have a larger selection of variations on curbs.

http://www.horsebitbank.com/

http://www.thehorsebitshop.co.uk/

This place does custom... with the matching price. http://www.equusport.com/
    There's also always Jay Shuttleworth, and as Velvet mentioned, the Western guys.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HP Am Mare.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	34022  
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

awesome! with the links posted I have some options now. I'm going to raid my friend's bit box too and see what I can come up with.

Myler will also make custom bits, including weymouth