The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Smile What horse care products do you love or hate?

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum so hi!

I am looking for people to give honest, candid reviews of all the horse health supplies that they have come across for my review site http://www.horsehealthsupplies.com - Positive or negative, it doesn't really matter... Just want to build a nice site with great and useful info.

If you have any strong feelings about horse care products you use, it would be great to hear from you.

Thanks and I look forward to contributing to the forum!

J

I love MTG products!! I use it for rain rot, girth itch, after clipping, detangling. Anything!

Thanks eventer10490. Just checked it out. Hadn't come across it before so thanks for drawing it to my attention. If I get enough info together I'll be sure to add a review and quote you if that's OK?

"Numotiozine" for swellings or tendon issues. It smells strange at first but then you kind of wonder why you like the smell. I not only works well but it washes out of wraps easily and does not burn or irritate the horse.

"Final Fly T" fly spray - works great. It is an oil based product so don't spray it too close to the skin....

"Elevate Vit E" - this product works so well for horses that need additional vitamin E, for injury etc.

"Vetrolin Shine" - to detangle the tails, keeps the coat soft and repels dirt.

"Real Women Ride" Hair nets - I use a hair net ever ride and I love how easy these are to put on.

"Neatsfoot oil" - Wipe the bridle or martingale down with the oil and you don't have to do it too often. Just clean with water and apply oil every once in a while.

"Underwood" wound medication - This stuff is amazing! I have had some major flesh wounds on horses over the years and this product worked wonders. You spray the brown liquid on and dust on Baking soda... and thats it. No washing, scrubing, nothing and they heal without scaring. One of my horses years ago went into a manger of a horse trailer, taking all the hair and skin off from his elbow to the back of the knee and this product did wonders. NO scars at all.

"Karbo Combo" EPM feed supplement - I have been using this product for my EPM horse for almost 6 years. It also helps with allergy issues.

"CWD" saddles - I love my saddle so much I would work for the company for free if I had time. It's balanced so well, made with great materials and super comfortable.

"CWD" saddle conditioner - this stuff for the saddle is amazing. Keeps your saddle leather soft, and it also gives it a bit of grip too.

"MTG" - Sorry to say I am not a fan.. horse smelled like bacon and it was really messy. I was also a bit reluctant to use it because it doesn't have the list of ingredents on in.

"Miro Tek" shampoo - I never had good results with this for allergy horses and it doesn't seem to clean very good.

It's kind of fun thinking of all the products you use, like and don't like...
    Train like you have never won and show like you have never lost!!!

Wow! Thanks doublesstable. What an awesome list. I'll look at all these products in further detail and add to my site. Will give you full credit for quotes of course! thanks again!

I like Vetrolin, the liniment/soap smells great. I wash everything in it from blankets to brushes.

For scratches or rain rot or thrush, nothing beats 'Tomorrow, dry cow'. Its is super easy to apply (its like a syringe with a plastic needle like tip) Its easy to get it into thrush tunnels :/ and for scratches you dont need to pick off the painful scabs first, just apply and 3 days later ,boom, they're healing.

I like pentosan, it worked wonders on my arthritic horse. Also equipak is good stuff.

Small hole hay nets.

1 members found this post helpful.

I think the ingredients list for MTG is online. They've been posted here before.

I've never used the Eqyss Micro Tek shampoo, but I can say that I swear by the blanket wash! Gets the smells out, really gets them clean.

Bite Free fly spray, also oil based, works well and lasts a couple days on non-riding days.

ETA: Orvus shampoo! The bomb!
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Quote Originally Posted by eventer10490 View Post
    I love MTG products!! I use it for rain rot, girth itch, after clipping, detangling. Anything!
    And I hate it! Can really burn a horse. There was a recent thread on this.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

I hate MTG, it's petroleum based and can't stand the smell

Banixx -- I'm never without it... in both the gel and spray forms. Amazing healing.

Health-E from EquineMedSurg: By far the highest amount of Vitamin E available--crucial for horses with EPSM and metabolic issues. Worth every penny!!!

Everyone is always searching, searching, searching for the best fly spray. EquineMedSurg comes through again with RK Topical. Finally a fly spray that does what it says!

Equine Hoof Slipper: Great to have on hand for abcesses, loss of shoe, other wounds, laminitis, etc. Tough enough for turnout. BUT please... get it in the XXL size too for us draftie folks

DISLIKE

Shapley's MTG: rancid bacon grease stank -- Shooey!

Bronco Fly Spray... puhleez... it's like spraying water on 'em.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

DISLIKE-MTG recently made my horse react.

LIKE- Ultrashield Fly spray. seems to work the best for me, and it kills ticks, which is important to me.

Love -Healthy horse care moisturizer concentrate. Great for itchy dry horse skin, and it has lanolin. it is great for detangling, and no silicone. Dandruff in the mane, etc..

Like Keratex Hoof Hardener. My horse has crappy feet. this helps.

Like:

Vetercyn- Fabulous stuff. Use it on everything. Very mild, works great.

Corona Ointment- My favorite "ointment" out there. Really helps speed healing and keep dirt out of the wound.

Endure- Best fly spray EVER. I can spray my horses that aren't getting ridden/bathed daily with it once a week, and they are good to go.

Vetrolin Shine- Smells great, doesn't dry the coat out, detangles and puts on a lovely shine.

Omega Horseshine- LOVE LOVE LOVE. Horses look fabulous, without fail.

Bio-Meth- Had great luck with it!

Thrushbuster- Clears up even the worst cases of thrush I've had.

Granulex- Great for wounds.

Dislike:

Bronco- Competely useless.

MTG- Can't stand the smell, and it burned my horse as well.

That's what I can think of off the top of my head... more will come to me.
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

I think I may be oddwoman out!!!

MTG - LOVE. Smells funky (bacon grease, as mentioned) but it did wonders for my horse's tail last year. I just bought a bottle and if it works like last time, it should grow several inches in about four months.

Eqyss products - LOVE. I used the medicated shampoo and the spray-on rain rot treatment on my chronic-rotten TB, and nothing worked better or fast. The rebuilder condition is pricey, but makes their tails feel like silk. Blanket wash is amazing too.

Cowboy Magic Detangler - Pricey, but smells and works great, even on burrs.

Cut Heal 5-in-1 Hoof Heal - Noticed a friend had a bottle, so I figured I'd give it a shot since my gelding's feet are a different kind of funky. Been using it for 5 days in a row and can already tell a difference, no joke.

Bronco Fly Spray - HATE. Like someone else mentioned....just use water.

SuperMask II - HATE. I went through three in one season. Not cool. Or cheap. The fleece collects burrs that are impossible to remove (even in washing machine, hot water), and they seemed to rip way too easily. I finally threw my last (shredded) one away, bought a $9.99 one at Farm King, and my gelding hasn't torn it off or up yet, and no burrs!

Professional's Choice Ballistic Nylon Overreach boot - LOVE x2. These things have saved my horse's feet on so many occasions. My old show horse would overreach all the time, especially if we would do speed events. My gelding now is also an overreacher, but has a tendency to pull his shoes off. I use these every time I work him and if he's turned out. Plus, I've washed mine countless times in the washing machine and they look great.

Schneider's Storm Shield New Britron medium weight turnout blanket - HATE. I wanted a mid-weight blanket for my gelding to wear on the warm winter days, and he had this thing ripped in one day. It was a great weight, but it didn't hold up at all. Very disappointed.

Weatherbeeta Taka heavyweight turnout - LOOOOOOVE. Very heavy, warm, and keeps them dry as a bone even in a blizzard. Not sure how, but Mr. Houdini managed to escape this blanket last winter. When my mom picked it off the ground she called to say my gelding was magical. When I got home, there was a 3" section along a seam that was ripped, and the connecting closure for a surcingle was missing, and that was all. To this day I have no idea how he got out of it.

Sorry...think I kinda went overboard...

Vetrolin detangler--leaves the hair super soft and smells awesome
    Thrushbuster--use a little, get lots of results
    Horseshoer's Secret hoof conditioner--keeps a nice gloppy consistency, even in the dead of winter or heat of summer
    Animalintex poultice pads, especially the hoof shaped ones. Super easy and fast. Greatly appreciated when I have to poultice a fussy horse
    Wrap It Up bandages--cheaper than Vet Wrap and much stickier

Dislikes:
    MTG--gah that smell! And it's insanely greasy!
    Cowboy Magic detangler--purely based on scent, makes me a little nauseous
    Show Sheen--leaves a nasty film and dries out coat

Okay had to add theses - they are AMAZING.

http://www.equibrand.com/Classic%20E...PG=10&PG=2&CL=

Bought them over a week ago because my horse who is huge has had sores on the front of his pastern joints for a long time. I bed his stall deep and he has soft rubber mats under but still gets these sores. Lately they were bleeding and one got infected and swollen. So desparte I went to the local tack store and found these Stress Wrap Guards.. The ones that strap around the joints would never fit him and I don't like the location of the straps... but these Stress Wrap Guards do fit him and don't put pressure on the tendons. They shape to the leg and stay up and in place all night. They clean really easy. The material is really soft but the outer shell is flexible but protective. Really neat materials. So far I am really pleased with this product!
    Train like you have never won and show like you have never lost!!!

I really dislike the Eqyss shampoo meant for skin problems (don't know what it's called) ya, it does the exact OPPOSITE! Both time I tried it my horse broke out in lumps!

Love my Shed Flower! Works great for stirring up the dirt and hair!

Love my Val du Bois bridle. High quality for quite a low price.

Oster Tail Brush-like

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

LIKE:

Absorbine Ultra Shield flyspray

Vetrolin mane and tail detangler

Panalog (Animax) and Desitin for wounds, scrapes.

Terramycin eye ointment

Absorbine Show Sheen and hoof polish for shows.

Equiderma for rain rot, fungus and other funky skin issues

Country Vet battery operated fly sprayers and spray.

Newer Spreader - best invention ever.

Absorbine Thrush treatment - works better than anything else I have tried.

DISLIKE:

MTG

Anything with tea tree oil (because it causes my horses to break out in hives

Koppertox - giant mess.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Love Healthy Hair Care. Great everyday conditioner for the coat.

Love Corona ointment for everyday cuts and scrapes.

Same goes for Vasoline, although that isn't really horse care specific.

Peanut oil for hooves. My horses hooves were chipping because of the wet/dry cycle in the pastures over the summer and this was recommended to me by my farrier. Worked when Keratex and Tuff Stuff failed. Plus it's cheap!

Love the Eqyss products, mainly because they smell so good.

Oh and best shedding tool ever, the Shed Ender.

LOVE canter mane & tail detangler/coat shine. Wonderful products and you don't have to use them that often. Work the best without a slippery or "fake" feeling.

HATE hoof heal 5 in 1. stinks and leaves a horrible residue.

Like:
    ShowSheen- for shows, not everyday use. Although in the winter time I spray some on the point of the shoulder and hip, keeps blankets from ever rubbing!!

Vetrolin Shampoo and Liniment- Great smell and his coat stays so nice!

Eqyss Marigold spray- Use as an everyday conditioner, love the smeel and his coat looks fabulous!

BellyBalm- Great smell and keeps the flies off their belly while at the same time heals the fly bites already there. It has Aloe Vera and seems very soothing to itchy horses!

Cowboy Magic detangler- Love the fresh scent and it works great. Although Santa Fe works great as well and smells even better!

Rambo blankets- They never seem to rub and they last for years! Love the nylon lining and the fact that there are no legstraps to get tangled in.

Eskadron bandages- I use them under my polowraps.

PlatinumPerformance- My horse is so shiny! And he feels great too.