The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Previcox

What dose do you use?

I use 57 mg. once a day...

Also 57mg (1/4 of the big pill). We used that dosage for 4-6 weeks, and now backed it down to 1 dose every other day. Still seems to be working well.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Quote Originally Posted by Huntertwo View Post
    I use 57 mg. once a day...
    Me too. But I think that is a lil lower than one tube of equioxx I think equioxx.
    is 79mg ?
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Cool - thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by purplnurpl View Post
    Me too. But I think that is a lil lower than one tube of equioxx I think equioxx.
    is 79mg ?
    Incorrect 69

No, the tube contains 6.93grams of Equioxx Paste BUT only 0.82 of that is firocoxib... so it comes out to being 56.8mg of firocoxib per tube!

The dosage for firocoxib is 0.045 mg/lb or 0.1 mg/kg

Hope this helps!

Smile It is pretty safe, IMO.

I had an older stallion, he was very older....... 31 ....... almost 32. He had trouble standing after laying down, especially in the winter. I eventually ended up giving him 1/4 of the 227 mg tablet every 12 hours. He was on this dose for more than 2 years and never had any problems with it. He did very well on it.

Started at 57 mg once a day and then went to 57 mg every other day. My vet gives me the 57 mg pills.

What are you using it for?
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

We have a mare who is wonderful, amazing, but came to us rather banged up - scars and strange depressions all over her. She had a very, very slight front limp for a few days (no heat, no swelling, nothing obvious in the hoof, although a bruise/abscess is always possible), and since I had some previcox, I thought I might try her on it for a few days. (Got it for my dog last spring and didn't need all of it.) She is so good for a squirt of bute, but she really hates it. Anyway, she's had 3-4 days, and she looks great. Of course, she might have recovered without it too. She does tend to get sore, primarily in her neck/shouders), and sees a MT/chiro periodically for maintenance.

So it is a pain thing?

I recall a thread on here a while back about previcox, but I couldn't remember what folks were using it for.

Thanks!
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

I use the 57 mg/day for relief from ring bone. It works! My mare has been on it for almost a year and has very seldom looked lame/gimpy. My daughter has been able to ride her all summer (hacks) as compared to almost no rides last summer.
    The 25 yo QH mare is also doing great on the same dose. There are 6 or 7 horses on Previcox at the barn and they are all doing very well.
    I am still surprised so many US vets are prescribing it since there was a risk of them losing their licenses for prescribing cross-species meds. Has anything changed?

Quote Originally Posted by naters View Post
    What are you using it for?
    I use it for my mare's Uveitis - To keep the inflammation down.

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    I am still surprised so many US vets are prescribing it since there was a risk of them losing their licenses for prescribing cross-species meds. Has anything changed?
    I asked my Vet this, as she will prescribe it.

Her point of view is: Many horses are going to catch on after being tubed day after day and may become difficult to either catch, or administer.

Many people board and therefore can't be there every day to administer a tube of Equioxx. Compared to a BO putting a tablet in a horses feed.

From what I gather, as long as she can justify why she is prescribing it, as in the above, it can be done.
    Unless, someone knows other wise.

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    I've yet to meet a vet that won't prescribe it. I haven't heard of this. Are you sure this risk of losing a license is tied to the package label, instead of the active ingredient? Is this in every state in the US?

My vet prescribes "human" medications (like atropine, triple antibiotic opthalmic ointment, etc.) that are also used in horses and has even called such prescriptions into my local CVS for me without any issues whatsoever. None of those had horse info on the label... though the prescription label had my horse's name on it.

Quote Originally Posted by naters View Post
    So it is a pain thing?

I recall a thread on here a while back about previcox, but I couldn't remember what folks were using it for.

Thanks!
    It's an NSAID.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaxxton View Post
    I've yet to meet a vet that won't prescribe it. I haven't heard of this. Are you sure this risk of losing a license is tied to the package label, instead of the active ingredient? Is this in every state in the US?

My vet prescribes "human" medications (like atropine, triple antibiotic opthalmic ointment, etc.) that are also used in horses and has even called such prescriptions into my local CVS for me without any issues whatsoever. None of those had horse info on the label... though the prescription label had my horse's name on it.
    It's not that we won't prescribe it, it's that since there is an "on label" product, we are required to Rx that when we want to Rx the drug. If the formulation we need doesn't exist commercially we can go to a compounded or alternate (ie human, canine, etc)

I suppose one can make the argument that their horse is impossible to dose with the paste and that might make it past "the authorities" but as a practitioner, it really is a grey area-I'm happy to write written Rxs for any med I prescribe and the client can go anywhere to get it, and I'm happy to write for compounded things that the pet really needs but at the same time they can find out "Gee, Dr Grataan sure goes through a lot of Previcox for a DVM who only sees large animals"-someone who routinely gives a non-labeled drug when there is an approved form can get in very hot water very quickly. I really feel torn because I"m not out to price gouge my clients and I've been there when I can't afford Medication $$$$$ for my pet but at the same time if I am fined or lose my license then I won't be able to feed my family or help any other animals.

I hope that made sense, I'm not on call and have been celebrating Dr Mr G's Bday with some great steaks and Adult Beverages.
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

katyb, I'm surprised you had such a quick result. My experience has been it taking up 5-7 days before I notice an improvement. My vet has usually instructed keeping the horse on it for at least 2 weeks, preferably a month for it to have a real benefit.
    And we use the pill that's prescribed for dogs.

Thanks for the explanation Grataan, that's what I was asking. I am glad that, in Canada, Equioxx is not approved so our vets can still prescribe Previcox and they do... a lot. I have seen a real difference in my mare since she has been on it. Equioxx, from what I heard, is much more expensive, although exactly the same product.

Quote Originally Posted by Voldemare View Post
    katyb, I'm surprised you had such a quick result. My experience has been it taking up 5-7 days before I notice an improvement. My vet has usually instructed keeping the horse on it for at least 2 weeks, preferably a month for it to have a real benefit.
    And we use the pill that's prescribed for dogs.
    Well, as I said, she might have just gotten better, since many things do self resolve. It may have been four days before I posted; I can't remember what day I started her, it's been one of those weeks. Okay - just went back and checked my email, where I mentioned it to a friend. She had the first dose 10/1, so it has now been 8 doses.