The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Freak accidents?

http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...nia-fall-races

I understand these kinds of accidents are part of the risks of racing (which is why I do dressage) but why call them "freak" accidents when they aren't that at all? Freak: "abnormal phenomenon, aberration, anomaly", "sudden, apparently causeless turn of events". I don't think that catastrophic injuries at high speed, whether in racing or eventing, can be considered "causeless". Of course, one hopes to avoid them through preparation and conditioning, but for horse and rider, the risks are real and understood. (not speaking about the accident to the handler, which from the little information given is hard to evaluate).

Best to be honest about the risks than pretend they are a complete surprise.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

When a race meet runs for years with no equine fatalities, then has 2 in one weekend, I think "freak" is a perfectly acceptable word to use. Middleburg is a great course, very horse friendly. I'm sure more horses die in freak paddock accidents every year than are injured to the point of needing to be euthanized at steeplechase meets.
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

Negatives aside - and that isn't to trivialize them - the Middleburg races (Oct 1st and 2nd) were seemingly unique in that several horses carried the Augustin Stables colors.

Mr. Strawbridge Jr. (the most winning NSA owner in its history) in recent years has been dramatically removed from running 'chasers compared to 'old'.

On Saturday Oct 1st:

His Rainiero (Chi) won the 1st race - The Bon Nouvel, an Optional Allowance.

On Sunday Oct 2nd:

His Ice Bear finished 2nd in the 2nd race - The Theodora A. Randolph Cup, a Maiden Hurdle; and his Radio Flyer (Ire) won the 6th race - The Virginia Beach Memorial, an Amateur Highweight over Timber.

None of those horses were trained by Jonathan Sheppard but rather Richard Valentine.

Nice photo (by Douglas Lees) of Radio Flyer with Darren Nagle up over Timber.

I was there, all day, both days. I was on the course when the falls occurred. I was near the paddock when Stoney was injured.
    What, errr, Cody, do you .... suggest we ... "do about" the "freak accidents"?
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter's Rest View Post
    What, errr, Cody, do you .... suggest we ... "do about" the "freak accidents"?

I say we spin this into a why we hate Rollkur thread. There is plenty of freak in the horses doing that!
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

I read that article and couldn't understand why the Chronicle chose to write about the negative aspects of the weekend. Didn't write who won... just about the accidents. I was there both days as well and am pretty certain the general public had no idea about the accidents - they didn't involve crash up derbies - in both cases a single horse - one took a bad step, one fell. things that happen at home in the paddock all the time.

Indeed, Hilldale, hte only reason I realized the flat breakdown wasn't just a typical sore/pullup was the poor gals from the horse's stable were hugging/crying/grieving and you could just tell it was bad. Heart breaking misstep. The other horse was just a faller. Bad luck. The poor man in the paddock was highly unusual but in that sense one of those totally normal abnormal occurences in the horse world! Remember poor old Shelly Malone who many years ago fell just so and her horse stepped on her heart and killed her. Totally normal tumble on a reliable horse out for a hack on a pretty day with friends. The national press (not, ahem, the *local* press!) could NOT get over the fact that someone (Michelle Rouse, I think) they interviewed afterewards said 'That never happens!' and they took it to mean 'That never happens, it must be murder!' and ran with it. What she meant was, 'That never happens - suck-y luck!'
    Same thing at Va. Fall.
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.