The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default BO's- 30 days notice and sale horses?

So, obviously, a board contract has a 30 notice written in for horses that are leaving the barn. Right.

Does this change for a horse that you have been told is for sale and will be leaving in the fairly near future? How do you work it so its fair for barn owner and horse owner? Of course, you can put a horse on the market and it be gone a week, or it could take 6 months... is 30 days notice still standard?

It didn't for me. I had to pay the next month after I gave 30 days when the horse sold and was leaving the next week.
    ~Isabel

its something you should bring up with your BO before the horse sells so there is no confusion.

I would think if the barn is a big show/sale barn where you will remain a client and horses coming in and out is normal I would be very surprised that a BO would charge you for the month.
    If the barn was a more private facility, while it doesnt work much for you financially, i can see where a bo would expect a 30 days notice.

Quote Originally Posted by DressageOverFences View Post
    its something you should bring up with your BO before the horse sells so there is no confusion.
    And that's why I'm polling the interwebz for my BO... so she can have a clear policy that is fair to her and her boarders.

I've always seen the 30 days notice go from when the horse is actually sold (in other words, not when it is put up for sale, but when when it is actually leaving on a set date).

So, yes, usually that leaves the seller with like 3 weeks of empty stall.

I have had barn owners waive that just to be nice (most appreciated!) or when they filled the stall faster (probably not all do this, but like apartments they really shouldn't be taking rent from 2 parties on the same space).

But, unfortunately, putting a horse up for sale really isn't "notice" to the barn owner who has no idea if it will sell in a week or a year, so I really don't think it's a different situation from giving notice to move barns--you can't do it until you have a solid departure date planned.

my mom use to charge by the day- you paid monthly board but if you had to leave (as in your horse was sold or you were moving) you only had to pay the days you were there.

So whatever board is divided by 30 I'd say is a fair policy as long as the BO was aware of the horse's for sale status.
    proud owner of a very pretty but completely useless horse (and one useful horse!)

Horse Thoughts

The policy that I have seen that I think is the most fair:

1. If the horse is just "on the market" and happens to sell then the 30 day notice applies to the board contract.
    2. If the horse is for sale through the person who runs the business out of the barn (and to whom they pay the board) and that person will be receiving a commission upon sale, then the board is pro-rated per day.

Bottom line: If the BO and the sales agent are different parties (bound by separate contracts with the horse owner) then the BO is entitled to the 30 day notice.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by VicariousRider View Post
    The policy that I have seen that I think is the most fair:

1. If the horse is just "on the market" and happens to sell then the 30 day notice applies to the board contract.
    2. If the horse is for sale through the person who runs the business out of the barn (and to whom they pay the board) and that person will be receiving a commission upon sale, then the board is pro-rated per day.

Bottom line: If the BO and the sales agent are different parties (bound by separate contracts with the horse owner) then the BO is entitled to the 30 day notice.
    This, with a pro-rated refund if the stall fills within the 30 day period.

I think it would depend on the relationship the BO wants/has with her boarders or the person selling horses (I think it would be different for someone selling horses in and out of the barn as opposed to a boarder selling her horses and leaving or buying a new horse and selling the old one).

I recently sold one of my horses where I board (I had three). I gave them notice in early September that the horse was posted for sale. I paid for all of September and was not real "sure" if I needed to pay for either pro rated or all of October. I prepared myself to pay all of Oct or at least a large portion. Well, the horse sold and was picked up three weeks into September. My BO surprised me by kindly refunding the days in September that I had paid - with no charge for Oct.

It worked well for me, as a continuing boarder of two more horses. But, it might have been changed for a different scenario.

SO, long story short - I think it would depend on the particular situation and how the BO wants her barn to work. I understand needing to not get stuck with empty stalls. But, that little bit of "give" from a BO is a wonderful selling point for future business too IMO.